Join for free
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 07:15 PM

What am I drinking?

If I have coffee in the evening, even decaff, it's liable to affect my sleep.
At home I don't often bother with anything to drink after our meal but it's nice to round off a meal outside with something. I tend to go for camomile or mint tea,
In France recently, I asked in my very bestest French "Avay voo uh anne-foo-zeeon?" "oui" she said "Camomeel?" I enquired "Non - vervaine" "Ah, d'accor" .....
So, I had the verveine/vervaine. Very nice - just a light vaguely lemony flavour and a nice sleepy effect.
So, I bought some in the hypermarché at Cherbourg before coming home and am still enjoying the occasional cuppa here.
But - what the heck is it? I've googled of course but what with the different spellings and the latin names I'm still not entirely sure which herb my infusionis made from.
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Re: What am I drinking?

I would think that it could be Verbena, DM. Perhaps you ought to pop back to Catsey and ask SageCat, who seems to know a lot about herbs!

Here's a link though.

But is could be Valerian ...........

No, thinking about what you said "lemony" it's bounds to be Verbena.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 08:52 PM

Angie's right: vervain AKA verbena. Here's a rather wordy link that may tell you more than you wanted to know! Apparently it's good for lots of things,

http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_vervain.htm
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 08:55 PM

Sacred herb of the Druids! That would have been a good quiz question, Angie!
angieh
Hampshire, UK
angieh is female  angieh has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-08-2009, 09:06 PM

I think I may get some tissanes too - calms anxiety, perhaps it would be good for MIL.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-08-2009, 10:10 AM

Wow! A veritable wonder-drug! I must get more .......*wanders off to prepare another potful*

Angie - it has a very pleasant taste and, unless you go crazy with it, appears to do no harm. Sounds like it's worth a try

DM - thanks for the link. You are more patient than I in seeking out the relevant and discarding the chaff.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top