Join for free
Page 295 of 370 « First < 195 245 285 293 294 295 296 297 305 345 > Last »
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-05-2019, 11:38 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Goodness Surfer, you're a force to be reckoned with!!
Not to mention Foxy in his birthday suit

I can only boast that today I walked 3 miles with my walking group this morning, and then this afternoon I walked into the city to do some shopping errands, and back home again, and according to my trusty pedometer that was another 3 miles round trip.
I shall sleep well tonight!
Six miles! That's sensational, Ruthio. Exercise is definitely the best medicine to ensure a good night's sleep.

I'm not a force to be reckoned with...but the forces sure seem to be reckoning with me of late :.

I am meeellllllttttttingggggg!!! Five miles, 85% humidity and ninety degrees. So much for exercise making one smarter .
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 01:37 AM

Hi

You are an inspiration Surfermom.

So, so positive.

I am coming up to the 30th anniversary of being told I would never walk or work again.

I have done both.

I will never , ever, be able to run again , simply not possible.

I am however determined to surf again.

I was never any good at it, a complete idiot.

I am however determined to be be a complete idiot again.

One of my aims in life, people may laugh, but it is a big thing for me.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:53 AM

Swimfeeders, just the starting point from your injury to the point in which you were once again able to hike was more than most people can achieve in a lifetime. We should all be as resilient and determined!

I had no idea that you once surfed. That's great! When? Where?

Everyone looks foolish learning how to surf, Swimfeeders - in fact, it's required! One of the better aspects of the sport is that surfing makes everyone self-depricating with a side of embarrassment that comes from the inevitable loss of a swimming suit - or at least parts of it . There is nothing healthier for one's ego than flailing around, falling off the board, or being tossed like a rag doll in the surf while an audience watches from the beach .

Have you considered trying stand paddle boarding at some point? It can be done standing, kneeling, or sitting, and it's a phenomenally enjoyable fitness activity that is challenging without having to pop up on the board quickly.

https://www.supconnect.com/news/why-...rt-for-seniors
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 11:28 AM

Good morning fitness junkies, Foxy here.....

Six miles Ruthio, that's good going.... If I gave people advice about keeping fit and in good shape (which I don't) I would suggest that six miles in one go would be better spread out over several days. A quick burst of exercise and then nothing for the next week is not really good practice, and in my opinion will do more for the confidence than it would for overall fitness.....Not that it isn't wonderful Ruthio......and I'm so impressed, but as I said earlier, I don't give advice about keeping fit just what I would do....

I've found that over the years it's not the quality of training that matters, it's the frequency, the determination and sheer bloody mindedness to go out when you're supposed to without exception.....

So bearing that in mind, I produced an outstanding run yesterday after quite a few weeks of disappointing ones....The weather was outstanding, and apart from feeling the pace at the end It was a remarkable time......Not a best time though!

Following my schedule I again turned out for my Friday five and died a death...
Tired legs, out of breath, and was lucky to arrive home without having to walk...
The result was a very poor time and after taking a reading on my 'Pulse Oxy' meter was surprised to find only 70% oxygen present (that would explain the shortness of breath) and a pulse that varied between 70 - 112 in quick succession.....

I'm fine now and all stats have returned to normal, but I'll take it easy for the rest of the day. I've a holiday coming up on Friday next week and this explains my reluctance to visit my GP, my travel insurance has made my eyes water, and any contact with the medical profession would probably take it off the scale.

So Foxy will be a good boy for the rest of the week and keep the distance down for Sunday, and then after the holiday I'll re-assess my future athletic pursuits, with medical advice from my Doctor....Of course....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 04:34 PM

Bob – It’s a matter of taking the rough with the smooth with our exercise outings as you well know. Yesterday’s run being marvellous is superb and you couldn’t expect to put in the same performance today, the body needs rest after a jaunt like that. Well done
(Lovely pictures from Chatsworth House btw)

I’ll always give advice myself if somebody needs it but I stop short of preaching. It’s best to then let them find their own way according to their capabilities.

Suzie – I’m looking forward to your surfing write-ups once more as soon as you recommence in that area of sport/fun/exercise, as well as some cycling on the horizon I see too! I believe last year was just too preoccupied for you with your daughter’s health not to mention that awful hurricane in your part of the world. Good luck with you paddling around and great advice to Swimmy by the way

Swimfeeders – Take heed bud, that lady isn't called Surfermom for nothing. Suzie is a superhero when it comes to not only exercise but juggling her whole life around. A busy lady who always manages to return with a smile on her face. It’s all about priorities and I guess you’re going the right way with that too mate. One step at a time, we all have our niggles, issues and life battles and it’s great that you can put those on hold occasionally to get some “me time” and make those exercise goals

Ruthio – Well done gurrrl!! Six miles out and about in this sunny weather is some going. There is actually nothing better than a good, brisk walk to end up feeling fresh and active. True, it may not be as exertive as some of the things others do but it’s a fine way to exercise and you’re getting back into the swing of it brilliantly!

Tachyon – Yes mate it’s always a bit of a PITA when they start moving things around in the gym just as you are getting used to a routine on a particular programme. Very irritating. Keep it going though mate, I know you will. (Part two of my own little exercise routine today may interest you incidentally).

Lion Queen – You have a heck of a lot going on in your world right now so I wouldn’t worry too much about exercise that much. Get that knee better first and enjoy your time with your dad and husband. Best wishes to all three of you, better things will always be just around the corner

My write-up in a mo…..
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 05:11 PM

This style of training is suiting me fine, a little is enough when I have such time constraints as working nights. However, today I really pushed the boat out with another of my near-two hour sessions. A great programme in two distinct parts which saw some of my recent exercise routines combined and amalgamated into one completely perfect session which worked all of my ligaments and muscles pretty well without being overly strenuous on the weight.

Also, I’m not stressing too much anymore about not going to the gym; it isn’t the ‘be all and end all’ anymore. I know I can keep myself fit with my weekly programmes of a couple of workouts on the upper body and a big session for the legs, and together with my job at work that’s plenty enough for a 54-y.o. to be getting along with. Getting outside on sunny afternoons is by far more important. It’s going well.

Friday 24 May 2019: Upper body+ 1hr. 45mins.

(All weights in kgs)

Part One – Moderate/heavy weight:

Arm curl, both arms (warm-up):
20x25

DB press, incline bench:
10x22’s
8x26’s +4
5x30’s +2, +1

Fly delt dec:
10x80
10x95 +6
8x110 +4, +2

DB preacher curl, standing, alt.:
10x14
6x18 +2
6x20 +2, +2

E-Z preacher curl, low pull:
10x38
6x43 +2
4x48 +2, +1

Tricep extensions:
10x50
8x60 +8
6x80 +4, +4

Shoulder press:
10x50
6x60 +3
5x70 +1, +1

Part Two – Light, fixed reps:

Lat pulldown, underarm grip:
10x50 +4, +2
12x35 +5

Smith press, flat bench, close grip:
10x40 +4, +2
12x30 +5

Seated row:
10x41 +4, +2
12x35 +5

Chest press:
10x50 +4, +2
12x40 +5

Pec dec:
10x40 +4, +2
12x30 +5

Tricep extensions extra:
10x40 +4, +2
12x30 +5

E-Z preacher curl, low pull extra:
10x23 +4, +2
12x18 +5

Ab crunch:
50x30

A little extra for the legs:

Sled press:
25x150 +5, +5, +5, +5

Calf press:
20x100
12x120 +5
10x140 +2, +2

Incline leg press – 3-set pause/hold:
Feet low on plate (quads/tops) –
20x120 – pause – 15x120 – pause – 10x120 +2, +2
Feet high on plate (hams/glutes) –
20x100 – pause – 15x100 – pause – 10x100 +2, +2

With a quick few sets of real killer leg exercises, an “enjoyably” productive afternoon at the gym. After a beautifully relaxing and invigorating cool shower I went home and flopped down on the garden swing with an ice cream.
Next gym session later this weekend on the legs.

Tonight I’m meeting a buddy who has an apartment at Scarborough (one of OGF’s haunts!) to talk to him about a key, time to move in/out etc in place for a nice break there in a couple of weeks’ time.

Thanks for reading as always. Enjoy the sunshine
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2019, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
BobIt’s a matter of taking the rough with the smooth with our exercise outings as you well know. Yesterday’s run being marvellous is superb and you couldn’t expect to put in the same performance today, the body needs rest after a jaunt like that. Well done
(Lovely pictures from Chatsworth House btw)

I’ll always give advice myself if somebody needs it but I stop short of preaching. It’s best to then let them find their own way according to their capabilities.
…..
With all due respect Floydy, after over forty years of running I know the difference between good and bad runs, and this morning's run was something else, not normal, and it's not been just this morning's run either. This year has seen a major deterioration in performance and to be quite honest it's causing me some concern. It's not just an age thing either, and I have a responsibility to my family not to be so cavalier with my life, so following my forthcoming holiday, together with medical advice I will be taking a radical look at my future. It was my concern as to my well being that I embarked upon the medical earlier in the year, and although I was assessed as having the fitness of a 53 year old, there were a couple of anomalies concerning my heart and red blood cell count.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-05-2019, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
With all due respect Floydy, after over forty years of running I know the difference between good and bad runs, and this morning's run was something else, not normal, and it's not been just this morning's run either. This year has seen a major deterioration in performance and to be quite honest it's causing me some concern. It's not just an age thing either, and I have a responsibility to my family not to be so cavalier with my life, so following my forthcoming holiday, together with medical advice I will be taking a radical look at my future. It was my concern as to my well being that I embarked upon the medical earlier in the year, and although I was assessed as having the fitness of a 53 year old, there were a couple of anomalies concerning my heart and red blood cell count.
I know your position mate and you can only keep yourself monitored. I wasn't having a go at all though, merely complimenting you by pointing out that you can still put in a great performance like yesterday's run - as you told us yourself
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

24-05-2019, 05:38 PM

That was a fine writeup, Floydy, full of good advice and observations. Thanks for your encouragement but a more realistic description of me is the person trying to hop onto train that's seeing up faster and faster . How's the cardio going? Are you doing anything special fitness-wise to prepare for your holiday? (Although I'm more like a person trying to run along the side of a train, hoping to hop on, while it speeds up faster....and faster... , I appreciate your encouragement though!)

OGF, I may have to go see a doctor myself if you don't go to your GP soon :079. That oxygen rate is concerning as is your fluctuating heart rate? How is your heart rate recovery as soon as you stop running? Do take it easy, go light if you run while you are away, and enjoy the next Fox adventure? Where are you heading, btw?

After running myself into a liquid state yesterday, I have more or less solidified and have decided to run just before sunset. Our annual track and field event that brings athletes from all parts of the country have taken over the sportsplex. Surprisingly, athletes frequently call out words of encouragement as I make my way round the 1.5 perimeter. At almost three times their age, I run at a fraction of their pace, but I am grateful for one more day that my body affords me and I don't look too terribly bad...I think .

The surf forecast is for glossy, clear conditions tomorrow, so my daughter and I are up first thing to surf the day away in a series of sessions that run an hour or two at at a time. I am so excited, I'm about to pop!

Happy active weekend!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

24-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
That was a fine writeup, Floydy, full of good advice and observations. Thanks for your encouragement but a more realistic description of me is the person trying to hop onto train that's seeing up faster and faster . How's the cardio going? Are you doing anything special fitness-wise to prepare for your holiday?

The surf forecast is for glossy, clear conditions tomorrow, so my daughter and I are up first thing to surf the day away in a series of sessions that run an hour or two at at a time. I am so excited, I'm about to pop!

Happy active weekend!
No special training for my holiday, Suzie. It's just a quick week in the UK so I won't need to be especially trim. I'm not so bad really tbh as the 'cardio' is done as part of my work - that keeps me fit. The running is on hold until I get my act togethwr and organise my free time better

Yes, you both enjoy the surf and that campus run too, Suzie. Looking forward to your write-up

Page 295 of 370 « First < 195 245 285 293 294 295 296 297 305 345 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top