Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 12:29 PM

Cheese, onion and mashed potato pie

Hi everyone, attempting to find anything that was a bit different to the usual evening meal for he who must obey and myself, I ploughed through the recipes online and came across this so easy recipe, No doubt most of you have already tried this out but not me.

So I just added some little extras like chives and tomato slices for the topping.It’s called a pie but is really more a bake. There are loads of recipes online for this dish.

It has to be one of the easiest dishes I have ever made and will certainly be doing it again.

So for anybody who hasn’t tried it, here is the recipe that I used.

CHEESE, ONION AND MASHED POTATO PIE.

Preheat the oven to 200 /Fan180 /Gas 6

About 6/8 medium potatoes peeled

40 grams of butter

1 large onion very thinly sliced

100ml of milk

200 grams of cheddar/double gloucester/red leicester cheese- grated

1 teaspoon of english or wholegrain mustard (optional)

salt and pepper

about 3 tomatoes sliced in whole rounds

Cook the potatoes until tender

While the potatoes are cooking, melt the butter in a pan and add the onions, cook for about 10 minutes on a gentle heat until they are sweet and golden brown.

When onlons cooked, add the milk to the same pan and bring to almost boiling point. take off heat.

When potatoes are done, drain and return to saucepan, mash with a potato masher, then add three quarters of the cheese, the onions and milk, salt, pepper (and mustard if using it)

and beat well. add more seasoning to your taste. (this is where I added chopped chives and sweetcorn but you can add anything you think might go nice in it.

Transfer to a buttered oven dish and spread it out, sprinkle the third of the cheese that was left over the top and lay the tomato slices over the top.

cook in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes or until you can see it is bubbling and golden brown.

We had this with a small side of green salad and a buttered crusty roll.

Enjoy.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cheese Onion and Potato Pie1.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	400  
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 12:33 PM

Re: Cheese, onion and mashed potato pie

It sounds good Mary.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 12:35 PM

Thanks Alan, I couldn't believe how easy it was and how delicious it tasted. A must for cheese lovers I should think!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 01:17 PM

Yum. I love potatoes and am always looking for new ways to make them. Thanks for sharing
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 02:11 PM

Brilliant!
Guess what we're having tomorrow??

Lordruthio will insist on adding several grilled bacon rashers, I know!
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Brilliant!
Guess what we're having tomorrow??

Lordruthio will insist on adding several grilled bacon rashers, I know!

APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 03:39 PM

I haven't made that for years , a lovely dish.
I used to make mine slightly differently though. would line pie dish with short crust pastry, then layer lightly sautéed onions with cheese, then spread a topping of mashed potato.
Then would cover with pastry top.
It was lovely and very economical with a young family to feed.
Might even turn my hand to it again as I rather like the addition of tomatoes, but would put them under the pastry lid.
Another one they used to love was sausage plait, in fact now I come to think of it , I may well make that for when myG/C come to stay.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 03:46 PM

Cheese, onion and potato pie, decorated with sliced tomatoes and a sprig of parsley was the very first dish I made in my Domestic Science class at school, many moons ago...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 05:32 PM

I was just going to say that Mags!
You beat me to it!
Aysa
Chatterbox
UK
Aysa is female  Aysa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2016, 06:18 PM

I love cheese and potato pie ...never had this one before but it sounds delicious too ,I shall keep the recipe if I ever fancy giving it a go . Thanks Shropshire Girl

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top