Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Troopie
Adelaide, Australia
Troopie is female  Troopie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 01:41 AM

Re: Jury Service?

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
no, i haven't because I believe they're all guilty. Hang them all and let God sort them out.
Ha Ha, this is probably why I've never been called. We have had so many rotten things happen in our time that I would find it hard to be compasionate. String em up, teach em a lesson!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by merz ->
Just googled this Dandysmom, no upper age limit, but apparently if you are 71+ you can be excused if you do not want to serve.....
Thanks, Mags, merz! I thought I remembered that from several years ago when I'd been called again. but wasn't sure.... very civilized, wish we did it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 12:01 PM

I have been called for jury service 3 times.

First was at Snaresbrook East London(Court with the most not guilty's in the country)

The case was about a Father charged with smashing his daughters skull in when she was asleep(she survived) Judge directed us to find a Not Guilty verdict.

Second was at the Old Bailey.

The case was about a Father having sex with his 16 year old daughter. his wife was charge preventing the course of justice... Him Guilty 3 years.Her guilty 12 months suspended

Third back at Snaresbrook.

Mother and boy friend charge with the rape of her 16 year old daughter.

Him Guilty 10 years (He was in his 60s)

Her Guilty 7 years (She was in her 50s)

She was only the 27th female convicted of rape since the war.

After the case was finished we where told that the girls brother was up in court the following week charged with the rape of this girl since she was 12.

I was proud to have served on this jury and help get these scum jailed.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 12:50 PM

I was called about 6 years ago and what a boring process it was. Turn up,spend hours waiting then get sent home.

We never did get a case although one day the judge called us in to explain why the case we should have heard had been dropped.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2011, 05:37 PM

We have a "one day, or one trial" system: if you're called but not selected for a jury, then you're free for two more years. If you get a trial you also won't be called for two years.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-02-2011, 09:10 AM

Have been called, but because I'm already involved in the administration of justice am disbarred from service (much to my chagrin).
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-02-2011, 05:23 PM

I was called on the Isle of Man around 20 years ago, chosen from the electoral register, A-Z and by area. I lodged an objection to being called on the grounds that it would cost me money. I was called to the Deemsters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deemster office, to explain my circumstances. I informed the Deemster that the £50.00 per day attendance allowance was OK but my usual wage was in the region of £200:00 a day, the Deemster said without humor, as I was earning more than him and I should have savings that I should not be asking for the £50.00 and attending for no fee whatsoever. LOL.

So I attended and within 30 minutes was dismissed, £50.00 better off and asked to claim travel expenses on top. Some time later I dined with his honor and we had a dam good laugh over the event's.

Hope this makes you chuckle Adrian

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top