Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 11:46 AM

How To Cook The Perfect Poached Egg.

How To Make Perfect Poached Eggs Every Time!

Hi everyone. I know its silly, but although I love a poached egg, I hardly ever bother to cook one because it always looks so unattractive when I lift it out of the saucepan. I saw this great tip online and thought I would share it with you. Okay, this is not for those who think this is akin to taking coals to Newcastle.
It is more for those who have attempted to make the perfectly cooked and perfectly shaped poached egg and ended up with a disaster, (like me) or for those who don’t usually bother because they seem too much trouble.

I promise you these will be perfect if you follow the instructions. Lovely set whites with runny yolks in a perfectly formed poached egg.

METHOD

1 Medium Egg
Tiny bit of oil, spray, butter or spread
1 square of cling film.
Either a Ramekin dish,cup or small glass
Either an Elastic band, clip or even a clean clothes peg.

Place a saucepan of water and bring to a gentle boil.

Tear or cut off a square of cling film from the roll (enough to comfortably fit the Ramekin dish, cup or glass with plenty of overhangs). Gently grease the cling film and lay it into the Ramekin, dish, cup or glass, ensuring plenty of overhangs.

Crack the egg into the centre, gently bring the clingfilm overlap together, twist and expel all the air as you do. Secure the twisted section with an elastic band, clip or a clean clothes peg. Carefully lower the clingfilmed egg into gently simmering water. If you have taken your egg from the fridge, cook for 4 minutes, a little less if room temperature. (see pictures below).

Once cooked, remove from the water, snip the top of the cling film (taking care as it will be hot) and let the poached egg slip out. Viola, a perfectly formed poached egg with no ugly stringy hanging bits.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	poached egg 1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	6498   Click image for larger version

Name:	poached egg 2.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	6499   Click image for larger version

Name:	poached egg 3.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	6500   Click image for larger version

Name:	poached egg.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	6501  
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:09 PM

Re: How To Cook The Perfect Poached Egg.

I'm going to give that a try!

I usually get the water gently boiling, then stir the water vigorously to create a whirlpool and drop the egg into the centre/vortex.
That way you don't get all the scrappy bits on the edge.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
How To Make Perfect Poached Eggs Every Time!

Hi everyone. I know its silly, but although I love a poached egg, I hardly ever bother to cook one because it always looks so unattractive when I lift it out of the saucepan. I saw this great tip online and thought I would share it with you. Okay, this is not for those who think this is akin to taking coals to Newcastle.
It is more for those who have attempted to make the perfectly cooked and perfectly shaped poached egg and ended up with a disaster, (like me) or for those who don’t usually bother because they seem too much trouble.

I promise you these will be perfect if you follow the instructions. Lovely set whites with runny yolks in a perfectly formed poached egg.

METHOD

1 Medium Egg
Tiny bit of oil, spray, butter or spread
1 square of cling film.
Either a Ramekin dish,cup or small glass
Either an Elastic band, clip or even a clean clothes peg.

Place a saucepan of water and bring to a gentle boil.

Tear or cut off a square of cling film from the roll (enough to comfortably fit the Ramekin dish, cup or glass with plenty of overhangs). Gently grease the cling film and lay it into the Ramekin, dish, cup or glass, ensuring plenty of overhangs.

Crack the egg into the centre, gently bring the clingfilm overlap together, twist and expel all the air as you do. Secure the twisted section with an elastic band, clip or a clean clothes peg. Carefully lower the clingfilmed egg into gently simmering water. If you have taken your egg from the fridge, cook for 4 minutes, a little less if room temperature. (see pictures below).

Once cooked, remove from the water, snip the top of the cling film (taking care as it will be hot) and let the poached egg slip out. Viola, a perfectly formed poached egg with no ugly stringy hanging bits.

Oh strewth, what a lot of faffing about!!! I have a 'poacher' saucepan with four plastic containers. Lift the lid containing the four pots, half-fill with water, and replace. In selected pots, place smalll quantity of butter. Bring to boil, by which time butter has melted. Crack appropriate number (usually two) eggs into pots and place lid on saucepan. Wait approximately five minutes, remove from heat, remove lid and lift pots from boilling water. run knife around edge of pot to release egg and tip onto toast - voila!!! poached egg.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 12:24 PM

I have always used fresh eggs for poaching, they don't fall apart so easily.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I'm going to give that a try!

I usually get the water gently boiling, then stir the water vigorously to create a whirlpool and drop the egg into the centre/vortex.
That way you don't get all the scrappy bits on the edge.
Honestly ruthio, I've tried that method and I still get the ugly stringy bits that come with it. I even tried the method where they said that once you lower the egg into the gently swirling water, to turn the heat off completely and leave the egg for 5 minutes whilst doing the toast and it will be perfectly cooked, which it was (after I spent five minutes carefully trying to take off the stringy bits that still attached themselves to the white). This way is the only successful way I have tried that has no stringy bits. YEAH!
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-07-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Oh strewth, what a lot of faffing about!!! I have a 'poacher' saucepan with four plastic containers. Lift the lid containing the four pots, half-fill with water, and replace. In selected pots, place smalll quantity of butter. Bring to boil, by which time butter has melted. Crack appropriate number (usually two) eggs into pots and place lid on saucepan. Wait approximately five minutes, remove from heat, remove lid and lift pots from boilling water. run knife around edge of pot to release egg and tip onto toast - voila!!! poached egg.
UJ, to be fair, that is not poaching an egg, that's a baked egg. Still nice. (I'm sure I still have my pan with its four cups at the back of the cupboard)
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Honestly ruthio, I've tried that method and I still get the ugly stringy bits that come with it. I even tried the method where they said that once you lower the egg into the gently swirling water, to turn the heat off completely and leave the egg for 5 minutes whilst doing the toast and it will be perfectly cooked, which it was (after I spent five minutes carefully trying to take off the stringy bits that still attached themselves to the white). This way is the only successful way I have tried that has no stringy bits. YEAH!

No, no, no, darlin', that is not a 'poached' egg, what you are describing is a coddled egg - there is a difference!!!
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-07-2018, 03:51 PM

I have been known to poach the occasional pheasant.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

14-07-2018, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->

That's no way to talk of JRM, calling him a peasant
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire

14-07-2018, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
Strewth Purwell, you're posh! The only time I have been introduced to a pheasant is when they fly out in front of us down our country lanes here.
No, I tell a lie. I did once taste pheasant. I was about 25 and had been invited for lunch and dinner with his boss at the time who happened to be a landowner and farmer. During the day as he was showing us around his "country pile" he took us into his large kitchen outhouse where he had a dozen or so pheasants hanging on hooks. I was disgusted to see that they were writhing with maggots!! When I couldn't hide my horror, he just laughed and said that that was the correct way to ripen and tenderise the meat. YUK. Then, when I had to sit down to dinner knowing I would have to eat one of the same I felt quite ill. I even bit down on something hard and was told it was probably a bit of buckshot that the cook must have missed when cleaning it!. Never ever again! I'll stick to my egg on toast.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top