Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 02:51 PM

School spelling tests

I don't know if they still do these in state school system but in Gracie's private school Monday is spelling test day. I had a phone call earlier because the teacher wanted to see just how far ahead Grace is so had asked our permission to test her with harder words. Phone call was to say she had passed her test but now they are talking about what to do with her ! Passed the test they set for 14 year olds so she's further ahead than any of us suspected. Maths don't ask her to add up the shopping list but English, History, Languages she is miles ahead.

They are talking about an accelerated learning plan only two others are being put forward in the entire school for, but she has to improve her maths.

So we have to look at extra tuition for the maths side of her education, funded by us as her bursary won't cover it.

I have had an offer of extra hours so it might be possible with Steven's new job paying a bit more too.

Yes I'm bragging, I can't say how proud I am of her pulling herself up in this way, after all she's been through she's proving she has what it takes I think. Her mum would have been so happy to see her doing well and that has brought a tear to my eyes so I'll stop typing before I get the laptop wet.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 02:55 PM

Re: School spelling tests

If you don't brag about your wee lass who will.. Go for it, and well done to her.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 03:19 PM

Good for her. As for private tutoring, you might be interested in listening to this https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0001fwj
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 03:22 PM

If you want me to, I'll happily provide links to good maths websites and free online resources.
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't know if they still do these in state school system but in Gracie's private school Monday is spelling test day. I had a phone call earlier because the teacher wanted to see just how far ahead Grace is so had asked our permission to test her with harder words. Phone call was to say she had passed her test but now they are talking about what to do with her ! Passed the test they set for 14 year olds so she's further ahead than any of us suspected. Maths don't ask her to add up the shopping list but English, History, Languages she is miles ahead.

They are talking about an accelerated learning plan only two others are being put forward in the entire school for, but she has to improve her maths.

So we have to look at extra tuition for the maths side of her education, funded by us as her bursary won't cover it.

I have had an offer of extra hours so it might be possible with Steven's new job paying a bit more too.

Yes I'm bragging, I can't say how proud I am of her pulling herself up in this way, after all she's been through she's proving she has what it take Ie think. Her mum would have been so happy to see her doing well and that has brought a tear to my eyes so I'll stop typing before I get the laptop wet.
Oh well done Gracie! and well done you Julie for the no doubt, extra help you and Steven have given her. And yes, you have every right to be proud of her and brag about her wonderful achievements. I think it is fantastic when one's children surpass their expected intelligence for their age.

Good on Gracie!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 03:57 PM

Thank you all I've replied to your pm dextrouse thank you.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

14-01-2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Thank you all I've replied to your pm dextrouse thank you.

A few schools recommend https://uk.ixl.com/. Free resources or a monthly subscription for a diagnostic Integrated Learning Program. Might be worth having a look at it, or indeed finding out if Grace's school already has a licence in place. They may also have a licence for www.mymaths.co.uk, which has some good stuff on it too
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 04:13 PM

Well done to Grace considering the setbacks she has had due to health she is doing exceptionally well Julie
I am so pleased for her, she clearly gets on with things whatever comes her way.

My eldest granddaughter (aged 8) is regretting being good at maths because she gets extra Prep, being bright can have its downsides.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

14-01-2019, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Well done to Grace considering the setbacks she has had due to health she is doing exceptionally well Julie
I am so pleased for her, she clearly gets on with things whatever comes her way.

My eldest granddaughter (aged 8) is regretting being good at maths because she gets extra Prep, being bright can have its downsides.
Yes the teacher I was chatting to said it's hard to keep them motivated when they are bright because the idea of more work isn't instantly appealing to them. I think she had a point.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2019, 04:54 PM

How lovely Julie. X
You have a right to be really proud. X

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top