Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 10:52 AM

Re: Question Time Tonight

Originally Posted by itsme ->
Sorry, can't remember 45 years ago (have to bow to you oldies for that) but didn't we at some time vote to stay in the union by 67% to 33%?

Stay in the common market yes.

We voted 52% to leave the EU
itsme
Wigan UK
itsme is male  itsme has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Stay in the common market yes.

We voted 52% to leave the EU

Still splitting hairs I see.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 11:06 AM

You cant remember the Common Market it is me?
Should you be on this forum then?
And what happened to your google?

Regards Donkeyman!
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 11:08 AM

No

They are two completely different things.

Are you sure you know what you voted for ?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by Banchory ->
Where did you get that notion from. Before joining the EU or EEC as it was then the UK was going down the pan.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4553464.stm

As a member of the E.U. the UK has prospered

https://www.inet.ox.ac.uk/news/Brexit
I don't think so ? Not as I recall. A nation of young people being able to afford and get a mortgage on a property as soon as they were married. All my friends started off with 3 bed semi's in the 1970's . All could afford it, jobs paid according to what the company wanted to pay and what they felt the position was worth, which created competition for the best, not according to national 'banding' that we have now, and if we didn't like one job we could leave on Friday and try something completely different on Monday. Transport to and from work was cheap, council tax and water rates were minimal. Our parks and gardens were all kept in impeccable condition , our services ran without problems, and the rebuilding of cities ( my area Liverpool ) from war damage continued at an amazing rate with new homes and shops. The high streets became vibrant and coffee bars were the meeting places, art and culture oozed from every opportunity. The greatest period of music and bands, and a lot more then suddenly things started to slide as we moved into the 80's .. property prices began to rocket, council and water rates up , job shortages, dole queues , house possessions, factories closing. Then later, in the 2000's the minimum wage was introduced , and that meant every company could reduce wages so jobs were got rid of and the job re-evaluation scheme rolled out over the country. Most lower sector pay jobs became part time hours which enabled the influx of people from EU member states could be accommodated, but detrimental to our own people. Most jobs were re-designated at a lower rate of pay. It goes on and on, but if anyone thinks we were worse off pre 1980's they need their heads checking.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 11:53 AM

I agree PD,

I have very fond memories of the 70/80's
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:21 PM

Sorry, can't remember 45 years ago (have to bow to you oldies for that) but didn't we at some time vote to stay in the union by 67% to 33%?
Yes, you are correct and even though being an 'oldie' myself (depending on your interpretation of that ) I cannot remember clearly the vote or the actual figures. The link below however, does give the information you correctly state. See the subheading 'Britain joins the EEC', second paragraph:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/livi...-european-act/
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck ->
I don't think so ? Not as I recall. A nation of young people being able to afford and get a mortgage on a property as soon as they were married. All my friends started off with 3 bed semi's in the 1970's . All could afford it, jobs paid according to what the company wanted to pay and what they felt the position was worth, which created competition for the best, not according to national 'banding' that we have now, and if we didn't like one job we could leave on Friday and try something completely different on Monday. Transport to and from work was cheap, council tax and water rates were minimal. Our parks and gardens were all kept in impeccable condition , our services ran without problems, and the rebuilding of cities ( my area Liverpool ) from war damage continued at an amazing rate with new homes and shops. The high streets became vibrant and coffee bars were the meeting places, art and culture oozed from every opportunity. The greatest period of music and bands, and a lot more then suddenly things started to slide as we moved into the 80's .. property prices began to rocket, council and water rates up , job shortages, dole queues , house possessions, factories closing. Then later, in the 2000's the minimum wage was introduced , and that meant every company could reduce wages so jobs were got rid of and the job re-evaluation scheme rolled out over the country. Most lower sector pay jobs became part time hours which enabled the influx of people from EU member states could be accommodated, but detrimental to our own people. Most jobs were re-designated at a lower rate of pay. It goes on and on, but if anyone thinks we were worse off pre 1980's they need their heads checking.
Yes, I remember those days (though I disagree about the 'music').

Whatever happened to us since?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:35 PM

@ Puddle Duck post #35

I can only agree with you. Those years from the early-1970s were my mid-20s to the present time when, at over 70 now, I look at how things are in this country today and just wonder how on earth this decline has happened and more importantly when is it going to be put right!

It also concerns me as to how our next generations, my grandchildren and possibly their children, are going to manage with all that's happened since the 1980's to bring us to what we see now? Look around at what is failing and without going into details I believe there's plenty of evidence of that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-05-2019, 12:40 PM

Hi

A personal view.

The Common Market was a great thing, beneficial to all and glad we were part of it.

It was an Economic Success.

I have no problems with paying into the EU, the increase in growth in the former USSR States gave us more opportunities to Export.

The EU has now been hijacked and our Idiotic Politicians have allowed this to happen.

I would have preferred to stay in, I voted Leave reluctantly.

It was a value choice for me, leaving would hurt.

I accepted that.

What I will not accept is an EU being run for the benefit of Germany and France.

I want no part of that at all, so out we go.

I will not change my mind on that, we have no one capable of solving this mess.

Blair, Cameron and May have given away so many cards we are screwed.

Varadkar has been the big problem with his backstop.

What has May just done?

Confirmed that the Common Travel Agreement will continue.

Our Ace of Spades, it is so, so, wrong.

Varadkar is a flea to be swatted.

I am quietly fuming.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top