Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:31 AM

Re: Pain killers

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
This has worked for me at the moment with my back pain, Mags. Co-codamol are the strongest over the counter tablets you can legally get without prescription. A mix of codeine and paracetemol.
When I have pain and can't sleep, I find that they ease the pain and help me go to sleep.
They were essential to me when I had my Vitamin D deficiency, as that woke me up with pain in the early hours, and without them I couldn't get back to sleep. A doctor told me that codeine can make you drowsy!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:40 AM

It's hard to say what will work on individuals because some people are resistant to certain medications, codeine only seems to work on a small proportion of people. I know my husband is on an anti depressant that is also used as a pain killer and that seems to be helping him, I find co codamol plus ibuprofen gel (i'm allergic to it orally) and a tens machine provide enough that I can walk short distances and work. I'd need something more to walk further.
I used to be on tramadol, that for pain was pretty good but it left me a bit dazed and out of it and was dreadfully addictive, coming off was a nightmare. So much so I asked my GP to write on my notes to never offer it to me again as I would take it because I still two years later crave it.
My husband swears by dissolvable paracetamol for instant help stupidly they put caffeine in it so when he needs a boost to get to sleep he can't take that as it keeps him awake.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
When I have pain and can't sleep, I find that they ease the pain and help me go to sleep.
They were essential to me when I had my Vitamin D deficiency, as that woke me up with pain in the early hours, and without them I couldn't get back to sleep. A doctor told me that codeine can make you drowsy!
It can but not to everyone, worst thing about it is constipation.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:12 AM

When I am in pain I usually resort to prescribed Tramadol and a couple of paracetamol which seem to work best for me. I am not addicted to Tramadol and my doctor is OK prescribing it for me and I will take it if I need to. However, since I was found to be depleted of VitD3 and was prescribed a loading course of it, I have found a huge improvement and I now take a maintenance dose daily. I wouldn't have thought it would have made such a difference, but it has. I would urge people get tested for Vit.D deficiency if they have aches and pains which don't disappear after rest.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:12 AM

I have 10mg Oxy-Norm for pain relief it works very well. It is one of these opiate pain killers but I am not addicted to it, in fact I take it rarely now, only when the back pain is really bad.

I used to have slow release versions which got rid of the background pain but when it was really bad the strong painkillers didn't work as well. I have found that taking no tablets for background pain is something I can live with but when I get intense pain the tablets really kick in.

You have to get your doctor to experiment with painkillers because ones that work well for me might not work for you. Fortunately there are plenty of types to choose from.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:32 AM

Solpadiene used instead of co-codamol is also a decent pain killer but can become addictive if used too much. As it contains paracetamol, you shouldn't take paracetamol at the same time as excessive use could cause liver damage.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:32 AM

I think a lot depends on how a person reacts to pain in the first instance .
Some have greater tolerance than others .
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:46 AM

So I guess the best thing is to buy co codomol and stock up on paracetamol and ibruphen for a just in case happening like my pain after the tooth extraction day socket /infection . It would have been practically impossible to get a docs appointment for stronger pain killers that week .

Regarding my friend and her reconstructive surgery they should have advised her to go to her doctors for strong pain killers she told me it was hell for 4 days till it eased . Poor girl

Sorry to hear about some of your struggles with permanent pain everyone
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-09-2019, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
I think a lot depends on how a person reacts to pain in the first instance .
Some have greater tolerance than others .
true that Zuly, I have a very low tolerance to pain and a friend of mine has an extremely high tolerance.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top