Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Right Now
upstate New York US
Right Now is female  Right Now has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-09-2019, 02:50 PM

Re: Learning a foreign language

I took six weeks of Spanish in high school, and a year of Latin (wonderful for our English word origins).

I spent 3 years in Germany when 19; the family we rented an apartment from spoke little English, so we picked up German quite quickly. I really enjoyed the challenge, and interacting with them bonded us. My hubby had a harder time with it, so left it up to me. All these years later, whenever I hear a conversation spoken in German, I still can follow the gist of the topic.

Fast forward to my time spent working in the library. I tutored a group of Mexican men (working for a year in our community) in English a few times a week. Here's the clincher to all of this: a young man from high school worked with me some evenings, trying to teach me a few basic French
words, and general conversation. At the end of our 15 minute sessions of fun, he asked if I could recall the words.
Invariably, I replied, "Si". You can't take me anywhere in France, so I'm staying home.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2019, 08:57 AM

Re: Learning a foreign language

Latin and french were compulsory at Grammar School - I coped better with Latin than with french because I could see the purpose behind it and, having been brought up RC, I already had the Mass Latin as an introduction.

Since leaving full time education I have learned a little Erse, Russian and Japanese - but am not fluent in any of them as the classes were closed down when pupil numbers dropped below 10. I suppose I could have carried on alone but, as Mups pointed out, one really needs to be able to practice with a native speaker.

When I was planning my trip to India - knowing I would be staying off the tourist route with a family who spoke no English - I went to Uni to learn Hindi for 6 months before hand. Never managed to write it - the Devanagari script is lovely, but complicated - but I did become quite competent in spoken Hindi.

Am now about to embark on Italian - a lovely, musical language and, perhaps, my Latin may help. Have made friends with the woman who owns the Italian Deli in town and have a neighbour who is Italian - so, hopefully, I will have someone with whom to practice.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top