Join for free
Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Re: 'Our' Parliamentarians

I think the pagentry and ceremony would have to change Uncle Joe - you would have to re-invent it from scratch - and if there was no monarchy I see little point in the pomp and ceremony in the first place. I don't see the neccessity for the monarchy to be a democracy Uncle Joe. We are supposed to have democracy with our voting and our parliamentry systems. The monarchy is an extra these days (a little historic icing on the cake).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I think the pagentry and ceremony would have to change Uncle Joe - you would have to re-invent it from scratch - and if there was no monarchy I see little point in the pomp and ceremony in the first place. I don't see the neccessity for the monarchy to be a democracy Uncle Joe. We are supposed to have democracy with our voting and our parliamentry systems. The monarchy is an extra these days (a little historic icing on the cake).
Far from it Rena darlin' - they still have some reserve political power - as f'r instance the 'little notes' Charlie wrote to some of the Ministers. Don't tell me, that as result of those 'notes' it didn't have an effect on Ministerial policy. I regard that as interference in our political system - something Charlie should keep well away from but doesn't. There are other 'discreet' powers that Mrs Windsor has too, which again, we have no say in and in many instances are not supposed to even know about.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 02:10 PM

To be honest, given the corruption and dishonesty of 'Our' Pariamentarians (which is where this thread began), the slavish devotion of all three major parties to corporate capitalism, and the corruption/incompetence of the unelected bureaucrats of the EU (which no-one in the UK voted to join), the monarchy seems to be the least of our problems. So what if Charles sends the odd note to a Minister - you can bet your life they don't get taken as seriously as similar notes from the corporate elite.
I'm not a monarchist, but I'll save my energy for the real enemies of democracy - corporate capitalism, the EU and the global Jihad of mediaeval Islam.

Mick
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
To be honest, given the corruption and dishonesty of 'Our' Pariamentarians (which is where this thread began), the slavish devotion of all three major parties to corporate capitalism, and the corruption/incompetence of the unelected bureaucrats of the EU (which no-one in the UK voted to join), the monarchy seems to be the least of our problems. So what if Charles sends the odd note to a Minister - you can bet your life they don't get taken as seriously as similar notes from the corporate elite.
I'm not a monarchist, but I'll save my energy for the real enemies of democracy - corporate capitalism, the EU and the global Jihad of mediaeval Islam.

Mick
Mick my friend, as the Germans found out (twice) you can't fight a war on more than one front at a time - pick a target (I already have - the Monarchy) and fight them to a conclusion before moving to the next target.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2012, 06:35 PM

Mick
Nothing wrong with a bit of good old fashioned corporate capitalism Mick, where do you think the money for benefits comes from? Whether you like it or not capitalism pays all of the bills.

I do agree with you regarding the EU and medieval Islam though...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 12:30 PM

Its a good story but it is a pity it is such a load of rubbish. The figures were first published in 1999 and supposedly related to the US Congress and even then is is unlikely to be true.

That's the trouble with the Internet you get a lot of drivel repeated as if it is true when the minimum of research would show you it is a load of bollocks

http://urbanlegendsonline.com/is-it-nba-or-nfl/
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
Nothing wrong with a bit of good old fashioned corporate capitalism Mick, where do you think the money for benefits comes from? Whether you like it or not capitalism pays all of the bills.

I do agree with you regarding the EU and medieval Islam though...
No - the working population create the wealth that pays for benefits. Corporate capitalism simply creams off as much of that wealth as possible to line the pockets of the ultra rich. Society could survive very nicely without the corporate capitalists, but would break down completely without those of us who work for a living.

Mick
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2012, 07:03 PM

No - the working population create the wealth that pays for benefits. Corporate capitalism simply creams off as much of that wealth as possible to line the pockets of the ultra rich. Society could survive very nicely without the corporate capitalists, but would break down completely without those of us who work for a living.

Mick
I have to disagree Mick, the working people wouldn't have any work to do without some capitalist having set up the company. Profit isn't a dirty word, without the incentive of profit and big rewards then why bother taking the chances that are necessary to succeed? I agree that tax avoidance is a problem, but even that is a problem that isn't confined to the super rich....would you pay more tax than you need to? I think not....
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

09-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I have to disagree Mick, the working people wouldn't have any work to do without some capitalist having set up the company. Profit isn't a dirty word, without the incentive of profit and big rewards then why bother taking the chances that are necessary to succeed? I agree that tax avoidance is a problem, but even that is a problem that isn't confined to the super rich....would you pay more tax than you need to? I think not....
Firstly Barry, I agree with Mick, we don't need corporate Capitalists - we can do very nicely without them and if investment is needed the 'State' can provide that so that we have a 'Nationalised' company. As for Tax, 'we' never got an opportunity to avoid tax as companies deduct it at source before handing us the balance. Perhaps there ought to be a way of doing something similar for the super-rich and that would mean they pay the full amount of tax they owe.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2012, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Firstly Barry, I agree with Mick, we don't need corporate Capitalists - we can do very nicely without them and if investment is needed the 'State' can provide that so that we have a 'Nationalised' company. As for Tax, 'we' never got an opportunity to avoid tax as companies deduct it at source before handing us the balance. Perhaps there ought to be a way of doing something similar for the super-rich and that would mean they pay the full amount of tax they owe.
That is not strictly true Joe, there are loads of people who buy from Car boots sales and the like who avoid paying VAT on the products. Please do not say that they are second hand products when we all know the majority of the stuff is knock-off.

Page 5 of 6 « First < 3 4 5 6 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top