Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 09:34 PM

Any stargazers here?

https://starwalk.space/en/news/july-...tarwalk-google
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 11:31 PM

Re: Any stargazers here?

That should be interesting Takahashi, here's hoping for some clear nights.

Thanks for the info...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-07-2020, 11:48 PM

I am a casual stargazer, there is a wonderful web site called Heavens Above that maps the sky according to your location. The also have an Android app

https://www.heavens-above.com/

I also use a Google app called Sky Map on my phone.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	canvas.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	13244  
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 06:23 AM

I've been looking up now for over 50 years. Unfortunately I live inside the M25 and the light pollution is devastating. Would love a few nights under the stars in the outback and to see the Southern Cross, Canopus and the Coalsack.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Takahashi ->
I've been looking up now for over 50 years. Unfortunately I live inside the M25 and the light pollution is devastating. Would love a few nights under the stars in the outback and to see the Southern Cross, Canopus and the Coalsack.
I was lucky enough to be lying on a sunbed, at night, on a beach in the Maldives where there is zero light pollution. The night sky was just stunning.
Takahashi
United Kingdom

17-07-2020, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I was lucky enough to be lying on a sunbed, at night, on a beach in the Maldives where there is zero light pollution. The night sky was just stunning.
Awesome. I did the Seychelles a few times back in the 1980's. Sunrise at 6am and sunset at 6pm every day of the year because the islands are pretty close to the equator. And when the sun does dip below the horizon it gets dark pretty much immediately. Such a shame we have so much light pollution in the UK. I guess most of us here have seen starry skies when we were children before light pollution blighted the skies. Unfortunately, children growing up today miss out on that.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 01:54 PM

Hi

I have tried, it fascinates me.

I got Jacob a cheap Telescope, he is a Pretendie and Autistic.

We have great fun with it.

He is fascinated by the moon and being Autistic, remembers everything.

He is now in rural Poland, so can see much more.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 02:20 PM

9 year old granddaughter saved all year and got daddy to buy a telescope. She paid £100 . She hadn't seen any stars yet as it's too light at night . I'll tell her dad about the app .

One night a friend and I got stuck in Tynham the abandoned village in Dorset . Her car broke down. The heavens were so full of stars we had to lie on the grass and watch in awe . We loved every minute of being stuck till rescued at 1.30 am . I never knew there were so many stars. It was awesome
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-07-2020, 07:35 PM

Awesome. I did the Seychelles a few times back in the 1980's. Sunrise at 6am and sunset at 6pm every day of the year because the islands are pretty close to the equator. And when the sun does dip below the horizon it gets dark pretty much immediately. Such a shame we have so much light pollution in the UK. I guess most of us here have seen starry skies when we were children before light pollution blighted the skies. Unfortunately, children growing up today miss out on that.
You are right on that Takahashi! Few places to even see the moon
in southern england,
the kids are missing so much !
When l lived i SA l used to take the kids up to the great karoo and take them out into the bush at night, and as therenwere only small
country towns for at least 200mls there was no city blink whatever!
And it was possible to walk about by starlight alone on a moonless
night! Majic!!

Donkeyman!🤔🤔🤔
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-07-2020, 12:36 AM

You are right fortunately we do have plenty of dark sky.

When I first came to Australia I was amazed at how many more stars there were compared to the view from Europe. Apparently it is because we face the Milky Way and the centre of the galaxy - or so I was told.

Whatever the reason the night sky is full of stars which even a pair of binoculars exposes especially once you get away from the coast.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top