Join for free
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:03 AM

Are You Common If You Hang Your Washing Out On A Washing Line?

I was talking to someone and telling him how l loved to hang my washing out and see it blowing in the wind.
He told me his late wife would never have a washing line and hang washing out as it was common! She dried all her washing in the tumble drier.

I couldn’t believe what he was saying as l had never heard such a thing before but on googling it... some do deem it as ‘common’ to have a washing line!

Have you ever heard such a thing and what are your thoughts on this?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:15 AM

Re: Are You Common If You Hang Your Washing Out On A Washing Line?

I agree, a washing line is sooo common, actually we are really upmarket with a rotary airer from B&Q, so much posher innit....
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:20 AM

Hi

Hanging washing outside is banned on certain developments.

Maggies house in Dulwich was one such.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:39 AM

Not common, emminently sensible. I believe it has been proved that sunshine actually helps to kill any lingering bacteria!
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:51 AM

Well - I would never use a tumble dryer, My laundry hangs out on a proper laundry line in the back garden. Fresh air makes it smell nice and it is much easier to iron. If is raining then it hangs on a laundry line in the garage - but with the windows open.

Is there anything nicer than sliding into clean sheets that smell of sunshine and fresh air?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 09:56 AM

I'm closet common. We've got high hedges around our garden so nobody sees our washing hanging on the rotary washing line.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:00 AM

I have no other way of drying clothes other than my Hills Hoist or lines in the car port (rarely use the latter)

Unless you live in a block of flats I can't see why you wouldn't put clothes on a line, "common" is such a British class thing.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I was talking to someone and telling him how l loved to hang my washing out and see it blowing in the wind.
He told me his late wife would never have a washing line and hang washing out as it was common! She dried all her washing in the tumble drier.

I couldn’t believe what he was saying as l had never heard such a thing before but on googling it... some do deem it as ‘common’ to have a washing line!

Have you ever heard such a thing and what are your thoughts on this?
That Nouveau Posh, HyacinthBucket-like.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:31 AM

What's washing?
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-10-2020, 10:34 AM

I must be very common

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top