Join for free
Page 375 of 505 « First < 275 325 365 373 374 375 376 377 385 425 475 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 12:20 AM

Re: Chinese Coronavirus

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Absolutely.

A mate of mine used to use the term 'flexible morals'!

It's like a picture I have just seen on Facebook.
Is there not even any pretence of equality in this country now?
I feel so strongly about this that I searched for an explanation.

https://coodes.co.uk/blog/positive-d...qualifications.

It seems that 'positive discrimination' is indeed illegal.
However, the rules have been twisted, and a new term: 'positive action' substituted.

I continue to believe this sort of thing is unfair.
Employment should be on one basis only: the best person for the job completely regardless of colour or creed.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 05:43 AM

Global Cases 8,264,399
Global Deaths 446,135

Australia
Cases 7,370
Deaths 102
Critical 3
Cases per Million 289

UK
Cases 298,136
Deaths 41,969
Critical 395
Cases per Million 4,393

USA
Cases 2,208,400
Deaths 119,132
Critical 16,695
Cases per Million 6,673

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Victoria has recorded 21 new cases of coronavirus overnight, bringing the total number of active cases in the state to 70.

Health Minister Jenny Mikakos said 15 of the new infections were returned travellers who were already in hotel quarantine.

Of the other six cases, one is a resident at the Rosstown nursing home in Carnegie, in Melbourne's south-east.

Ms Mikakos said the 53-bed facility had gone into lockdown and residents had been restricted to their rooms.

Another is a contractor working at the Stamford Plaza Hotel, which housed returned travellers who were in mandatory quarantine.

There are now 70 active cases in Victoria

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...by-21/12362782
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 07:22 PM

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53077879

Hope for those in hospital fighting.

An anti-inflammatory drug called dexamethasone has been hailed as a ground-breaking treatment for hospital patients seriously ill with Covid-19.

A UK trial showed the drug could save lives - the first internationally to do so - and it can be used in the NHS immediately.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 09:43 PM

Lockdown As I see it......

The Coronavirus lockdown seems to be dissolving like mist in the early morning sun, with people wandering around willy nilly in our local Tesco, although all credit to most of the old people (and I include myself with that description) most of them are wearing masks. The media, and especially the BBC, have done a sterling job in frightening the population half to death with daily reports of who has been infected and who didn't win the battle with Covid19.
Everyone has become an expert in virology and has their own theory about how the virus spreads, and how to protect oneself, including me!

The number of deaths and infections is quite high, but we didn't seem to notice in previous years when believe it or not, it was much worse. The good news is that as of today there have been 298,136 infections in the UK. How this is even possible to make any kind of forecast when in the earlier days of the virus there were as few as a couple of hundred tests being done each day! Anyway, out of a population of 68,000,000........67,701,864 have remained free of the virus....More chance of winning the lottery or being struck by lightning than catching Covid....

By and large the population of the UK have been good, in fact I've been quite surprised by the response to the government's recommendations to 'Lockdown' Stay in your home - don't go to work (unless it’s in the NHS) - only go out into the fresh air for one hour to just, walk the dog, or take some exercise – do not drive – and to help you keep to these instructions, public transport has been cut to the bare minimum, all public toilets have been closed, together with pubs, clubs, gyms, restaurants, theatres, cinemas and all non essential shops....And the wearing of masks appearing on every individual over the age of fifty.

And....You must go outside at 8:00pm on a Thursday night and pay homage to the wonderful staff of the NHS by clapping until your hands are raw or beating a saucepan with a wooden spoon. Confined to barracks children (due to closed schools) have been painting rainbows on just about everything that doesn’t move, and hanging pretty coloured objects in our local woods. And people passing you on the paths and lanes shuffle away from you like a bad smell to maintain their Two Metre social spacing. Some even risk their lives by stepping out onto the road in avoidance. A two ton vehicle is less of a threat than I appear to be.

I sometimes wonder if we have all been part of some massive global experiment to see how easy it would be for the rich and powerful to control the great unwashed. I was surprised how easily we gave up our freedoms when the virus actually never reached many households, but there was one thing that did manage to permeate every household and create fear and mass hysteria, especially in the older generation, and that was the media ( and in the UK, especially the BBC) .......The power of TV , Radio and the internet......
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:25 PM

Just a quick dash, in and out again.

I am beginning to suspect that Covid-19 is not quite as easy to catch as the media has been making out.

True, I only go out to go grocery shopping and to buy cigarettes, but, fingers crossed, I have had no problem.

I can't help but wonder if those who have contracted the virus are doing something very different than the rest of us. One thing I've been noticing is that many, many people are wearing their masks covering only their mouths. (At least here in Mexico)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

The Coronavirus lockdown seems to be dissolving like mist in the early morning sun, with people wandering around willy nilly in our local Tesco, although all credit to most of the old people (and I include myself with that description) most of them are wearing masks. The media, and especially the BBC, have done a sterling job in frightening the population half to death with daily reports of who has been infected and who didn't win the battle with Covid19.
Everyone has become an expert in virology and has their own theory about how the virus spreads, and how to protect oneself, including me!

The number of deaths and infections is quite high, but we didn't seem to notice in previous years when believe it or not, it was much worse. The good news is that as of today there have been 298,136 infections in the UK. How this is even possible to make any kind of forecast when in the earlier days of the virus there were as few as a couple of hundred tests being done each day! Anyway, out of a population of 68,000,000........67,701,864 have remained free of the virus....More chance of winning the lottery or being struck by lightning than catching Covid....

By and large the population of the UK have been good, in fact I've been quite surprised by the response to the government's recommendations to 'Lockdown' Stay in your home - don't go to work (unless it’s in the NHS) - only go out into the fresh air for one hour to just, walk the dog, or take some exercise – do not drive – and to help you keep to these instructions, public transport has been cut to the bare minimum, all public toilets have been closed, together with pubs, clubs, gyms, restaurants, theatres, cinemas and all non essential shops....And the wearing of masks appearing on every individual over the age of fifty.

And....You must go outside at 8:00pm on a Thursday night and pay homage to the wonderful staff of the NHS by clapping until your hands are raw or beating a saucepan with a wooden spoon. Confined to barracks children (due to closed schools) have been painting rainbows on just about everything that doesn’t move, and hanging pretty coloured objects in our local woods. And people passing you on the paths and lanes shuffle away from you like a bad smell to maintain their Two Metre social spacing. Some even risk their lives by stepping out onto the road in avoidance. A two ton vehicle is less of a threat than I appear to be.

I sometimes wonder if we have all been part of some massive global experiment to see how easy it would be for the rich and powerful to control the great unwashed. I was surprised how easily we gave up our freedoms when the virus actually never reached many households, but there was one thing that did manage to permeate every household and create fear and mass hysteria, especially in the older generation, and that was the media ( and in the UK, especially the BBC) .......The power of TV , Radio and the internet..

I agree with so much of that, it could have been me wrote it, Foxy.

You say about people walking in the road to avoid getting near you, but I was shocked a couple of weeks ago when a couple pushed their baby in a pushchair out into the road to avoid me! It was a wide pavement as well, about 10-12 ft wide.

I also understand your thoughts about being a massive global experiment.
And as for the Thursday night ritual, I never have understood how banging a saucepan with a wooden spoon at 8 pm, helps the NHS in any way.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->

I sometimes wonder if we have all been part of some massive global experiment to see how easy it would be for the rich and powerful to control the great unwashed. I was surprised how easily we gave up our freedoms when the virus actually never reached many households, but there was one thing that did manage to permeate every household and create fear and mass hysteria, especially in the older generation, and that was the media ( and in the UK, especially the BBC) .......The power of TV , Radio and the internet......
I think you may have a very good point, and it is the comparative figures you provide which convinced me.

Marge and I have been self-isolating... to a point.

I certainly have because I am honoured to have both diabetes and chronic kidney disease, both making me rather more potentially susceptible to Covid-19 than most, and then of course is my age (only a youthful 67 but apparently that also goes against me).

Marge (nine years younger than me and in perfect health), on the other hand, has occasionally gone to visit her aged mother (who is also self-isolating) and has volunteered to do the supermarket shopping without my help for the sake of my health.

More recently, we have been becoming somewhat less stringent with our activities and, so far, have had no problems.

What I'm getting round to saying is that I'm not sure whether it is because we have been sensible and therefore deserve to have avoided infection, or perhaps we are just two of the vast majority!

I sometimes wonder whether it might have been very unlikely that we would have caught the disease even if we'd led a pretty normal life over the past several weeks.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2020, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Just a quick dash, in and out again.

I am beginning to suspect that Covid-19 is not quite as easy to catch as the media has been making out.

True, I only go out to go grocery shopping and to buy cigarettes, but, fingers crossed, I have had no problem.

I can't help but wonder if those who have contracted the virus are doing something very different than the rest of us. One thing I've been noticing is that many, many people are wearing their masks covering only their mouths. (At least here in Mexico)
You have to be in close proximity for a certain amount of time. I think it's 15 mins or longer. With someone symptomatic in an enclosed space. If everyone is wearing a mask that will reduce spread considerably. If people aren't touching their face because they are wearing a mask or gloves that will reduce spread considerably. If you're outside you are not likely to catch it unless someone sneezes or coughs in your face.

TB wasn't easy to catch, you had to be in close proximity with someone for a while. Yet it was a big killer. Still is in some areas of the world. AIDs isn't easy to catch either. Again millions have died. Covid is far easier to contract than either of those.

If you take sensible precautions you won't catch most infectious diseases.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-06-2020, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If you take sensible precautions you won't catch most infectious diseases.
Exactly. I completely agree.

I have never worn a mask, but on the other hand I avoid getting close to anyone (apart from Marge!), and if anyone stupidly intentionally walks towards me, I hold my breath until well after they have buggered off.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2020, 04:49 AM

The Federal Tourism Minister says short-term international visitors will probably not be allowed into Australia until at least next year.

That has prompted Qantas to cancel all its international flights up to late-October, with the potential exception of flights to and from New Zealand that may be facilitated if a travel "bubble" between the two countries is put in place.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...vival/12366300

Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews says the state will press on with its plans to further ease coronavirus restrictions next week, despite an apparent increase in community transmission of COVID-19.

The state has recorded a further 18 new cases, including a third Black Lives Matter protester and a "very young child" who attended a childcare centre while infectious.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...itive/12368000

Australia's unemployment rate jumped to 7.1 per cent in May from 6.4 per cent in April, with the Bureau of Statistics estimating a further 227,700 jobs were lost last month.

The loss in jobs was much larger than the 100,000 typically forecast by economists, and the unemployment rate would have jumped much higher still without another big fall in people looking for work.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-...-2020/12368510

Page 375 of 505 « First < 275 325 365 373 374 375 376 377 385 425 475 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top