Join for free
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 10:46 PM

Re: Leisurely Scribbles (part 5)

Great that your OK Solo, it was a pleasant surprise to see you here today, as you say you know you’ll have to take it easy so never mind the catching up bit, it’s a waste of time, you can never catch up with scribblers, just when you think you are there they fly off in a completely different direction, just be your usual good humoured self and post anything whenever you feel up to it, we just continue where we start off here, Spitty sacked the continuity girl ages ago.

Am I glad I got that new felt roof on the hut last week, had I not it would have been destroyed along with my beloved collection of Agatha Christie paperbacks and electrical stuff, old TV, old computer, CD player, speakers, and what have you, I had someone’s prayer. Went out to inspect it a while ago when there was a break in the weather, it was as dry as a bone in there, thank God for that.

Just read the thread about Apple being fined for slowing down old phones, quite right too.
I’m old fashioned and I still have one of those old phones and yes I’d agree with all the complaints, the old phones are certainly slowing down now forcing us to buy new ones.
Well I’m a stubborn old git and it won’t make me buy a new one.
Why it was only yesterday while having coffee in the drawing room that I got a call from Alexander Bell himself asking me if the phone he sold me all those years ago was still going strong, I said it was and fair play to you Alex old bean, but the cloth cable is nearly worn out and the threads are all unraveling, I just hope it doesn’t pack up on me because I don’t think they do the spare parts anymore.
Don't mind me I'm losing the little bit I had.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 11:13 PM

The great thing about the old public telephones was deceit only cost a shilling, and spiel was regulated by time, ahh, the good old days.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-02-2020, 11:14 PM

Good to hear you are Ok Solo.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 08:03 PM

Ta so much for the good wishes. Truth be told the gales blew us all out of our hospital beds.. but I'm not complaining

Will do a bit of back reading eventually cos I do enjoy the scribbles meanwhile...my little bit for now .

Us women can't leave well alone can we...surely they know there were no female vikings

Since 1876 Shetland has been home to Up Helly Aa, a Viking festival with all the expected revelry ending in a large replica longship being set on fire. Women and girls have never been allowed to be involved in the squads..but guess what..they are now demanding equel rights. Kirk Douglas will be turning in his grave bless him:shock.:

clip includes a swear word

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2020, 11:09 PM

Now that is sad, just because the lads enjoy dressing up and marching about, shouting and burning boats, the women want to muscle in on them, well that’s the way of the world now, hell hath no fury like a woman being left out of something.
Being a Dubliner meself and from good Viking stock, when the Vikings settled and founded Dublin all those centuries ago they "Became more Irish than the Irish themselves" as history tells us, so I can understand the lads frustration, enjoy it next time fellas, it will more than likely be the last year as you knew it.

Ah you mention deceit Spitty.
“Beware of those who’s eyebrows meet, for in their heart there lies deceit”
If we were to take all these old wives tales seriously we wouldn’t venture out the door at all.
Take that eyebrows one, all men's eyebrows grow longer as they age and are bound to meet at some stage, doesn’t matter how big or high your nose is (see my post about big high noses back in 2015 )) to block this happening, nor how far apart your eyes are, (see post about big far apart eyes in same year)) the hair on the eyebrows will join up eventually, unless of course one shaves them or plucks them out, so are we to take it that all old lads are deceitful evil devils?
Personally I’d be more wary of those who’s nasal hair goes unchecked and grows straight down to form a toothbrush moustache, remember Hitler?
And what about “Look before you leap”? Sounds good advice but then another one tells us the complete opposite “He who hesitates is lost”
I think you’re better off using your own judgement when one senses danger, and remember what Confucius said about adventurous women pilots “Lady flying aeroplane upside down heading for honourable crack up”

I watched “Blazing Saddles” again after many years, Slim Pickens certainly lashed on the weight, I remember him when there wasn’t a pick on him, hence his name.
These show business folks should really think ahead before they settle on a stage name, last time I saw Robert Young in a film he was as old as the hills, what about Boy George, Sam Kidd, and where would you leave the Beach boys? any of them still alive are well into their 80’s, boys me arse, hairy old boys.
Now if i was a young man going into the business I would have called meself Armageddon Older, it covers all decades and avoids confusing the young folks.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-02-2020, 08:01 AM

That track is music to my ears Jem, thank you, just goes to show Every Good Boy Deserves Favour, and no matter your stage name, you can't "Stave" off the years, and the Spit will evaporate.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

11-02-2020, 11:11 PM

Dem’s wise words Spitty, remind me of that enlightening read the “Spitwick Papers”, written by Joe Spitwick in Spitwick Barn, Kirdford in Chichester.
I particularly like the word “Stave” and included it in an early poem I wrote during the great depression here ten years ago when the bubble burst and everything changed for the worst, the lines start off thus.

“Mister Cronkill knew not his fate
The day a dead mouse he ate
An out of work ironmonger
He did it to stave off his hunger”

Yes them was hard times alright.
It's only in hard times that some of the best idea's come to light.

My little dog Rocky II does not get on well with my daughter’s dog Phoebe, every time she takes her dog down to us either to look after her while she’s away of just on a visit they never stop growling and snarling at each other, one would assume that as he is a he and she is a she they would at least try to make lourve to one another, but no, not a bit of it, perhaps they are just two gay dogs?
The situation was becoming very troublesome and a solution had to be found, I pondered this problem while sitting in the pub last Summer, and bingo! I found the solution.
The treats Phoebe liked (provided by my daughter) Rocky didn’t like and vice versa, so I crumbled up some of hers with some of his, added an ingredient found in most kitchens which I’m not going to tell you about, mixed them with milk to make a paste, shaped it out to little rounds and let them dry naturally, then I gave one to each of the dogs.
It worked wonders, they loved it, after two biscuits each the growling stopped and the pair of them trotted off down the garden tail in tail like two young lovers in Springtime, problem solved.
I have now patented the process and have sold it to a well known dog food producer, I also sold them the name for the new product, I called these little biscuit like treats “Pet Agree Chums” with the slogan “Pet Agree Chums makes dogs wag their bums” and they’re selling like hot dogs at a baseball game, this time next year I’ll be a millionaire.

I think I’ve finally flipped, I shall lie down now for a while after that.

spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

11-02-2020, 11:59 PM

solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2020, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I have now patented the process and have sold it to a well known dog food producer, I also sold them the name for the new product, I called these little biscuit like treats “Pet Agree Chums” with the slogan “Pet Agree Chums makes dogs wag their bums” and they’re selling like hot dogs at a baseball game, this time next year I’ll be a millionaire.
Hmmmmmmm hot dogs you say... (and don't you go encouraging him spitty)

Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

12-02-2020, 09:58 PM

My dog gets a saucer of Guinness when I take him out for a walk, he knows the pub well and won’t budge past it until I take him inside for his tipple, all the regulars love him and he knows it, it’s doing him a power of good too and he’s never been sick since we got him 8 years ago, it’s also a great excuse for me to get a pint. “Phyllis I think Rocky is dying for a drink, shall I take him out now my dear?” “Certainly James, take as long as yeh like, you know it’s good for him”
Now I ask yeh, where would one get a rock solid excuse like that, everyone’s a winner.

Inspired and encouraged by Spitty , I will now recite my poem.

The Talking Cat.
by Jem.

I had a talking cat and I took him to New York
To put him on the stage and let the people gawk
He had a nasty streak and was also very rude
He sometimes quoted Shakespeare while standing in the nude
I dressed him in a petticoat, to take the bare look off
But I overstepped the mark that night, and he told me to f… off.

This was my favourite short cartoon from the first time I saw it many years ago, "The Singing Frog"

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top