Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2010, 07:06 PM

UK's first prime ministerial TV debate

Gordon Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg will be taking part in the UK's first prime ministerial TV debate tonight, on ITV1 8.30pm... look forward to hearing what you all think of it!

Edit: Anyone who missed it can watch it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...es_15_04_2010/ or here: http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?...p=780100_123_1

Highly recommend it!
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2010, 08:56 PM

Re: UK's first prime ministerial TV debate

This is a first there, isn't it, Azz? I'll be interested in the public opinion polls afterwards; wonder how the Liberal candidate will do.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2010, 11:08 PM

Reaction from the polls

10.50pm: More poll results - a Sky poll shows Mr Clegg winning n 37 per cent, Mr Brown on 32 per cent and Mr Cameron on 31 per cent. A YouGuv poll for the Sun, with the question "Leaving aside your own party preference, who do you think performed best overall in tonight's debate?" gives a thumping win to Mr Clegg. The Liberal Democrat leader scores 51 per cent, with Mr Cameron on 29 per cent and Mr Brown lagging behind on 19 per cent.

10.45pm: Alastair Campbell has insisted on television that the Prime Minister came across as a substantial figure.

10.40pm: I hear that Lord Mandelson has been in mischievous form tonight. He has been taunting the Sun, claiming it isn't too late for them to go back to Labour after Mr Cameron's performance.

10.35pm: Shadow chancellor George Osborne claims Mr Cameron looked like a man ready to be Prime Minister.

10.28pm: News at Ten have revealed the results of their instant poll of 4,000 people reacting to tonight's debate. Nick Clegg comes out on top with 43 per cent, David Cameron was backed by 26 per cent and Gordon Brown trails behind on 20 per cent.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-04-2010, 11:53 PM

Mr Clegg did very well IMO, . . so did Gordon, . . Mr Cameron held his own, . . . I think they all did very well considering it was a first for each of them, . . . at least they behaved themselves, no snipes or sarcasm, . . except when Gordon said he agreed with Mr Clegg on a particular topic then Mr Clegg gave a sarcastic shrug and glanced sideways at Gordon.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 02:11 AM

Well that was brilliant. And I think it showed us, above everything else, what kind of people they really are - as it would be very difficult for them to put on an act for that long. And the results were somewhat surprising.

Nick Clegg - came across as a decent, intelligent and genuine guy who really really wants to get things sorted. Fairly and for us all. Out of all the three he's the one that instilled trust the most. He has vision and a plan. Confident but not at all arrogant. I really can't say anything bad about him, he's totally gone up in my estimation.. he did a lot better than I thought he would.

Gordon Brown - came across as someone who has his heart in the right place, but lacks direction. He has lots of ideas but no real or well thought out plans. He may want to do the right thing, but I just don't think he knows how. At times I felt sorry for him - he looked as though he was out of his depth. It takes a lot to be Prime Minister, and I just don't think he has what it takes if I were honest. Though when it comes to trust I'd trust him over David Cameron who...

David Cameron - just came across as someone interested in doing right by himself and his super-rich (and I mean the grotesquely rich) friends, trying to twist and 'use' issues that people on the street feel strongly about to win him points. I don't think he did a good job of convincing anyone tho - maybe it's just me but he just came across as disingenuous ...and I'm quite surprised because I thought he was going to come off best tonight. I actually distrust him now and would feel safer with Gordon Brown over him if I had to pick between the two!

So the winner in round one for me was Nick Clegg. I was expecting him to be 'soft' and a pushover - but he was strong and confident (without any hint of arrogance that Cameron had). He was understanding and compassionate (without the naivety that Brown displayed). I think he cares and gives a damn, and is willing to do something about it - least that's how he came across to me.

Blimey - I've never been political in my life can't believe I spent 90 mins watching that lol! But like so many of you I think we desperately need real change, not more of the same from the other two parties but proper change. Great Britain is indeed great - but the other two parties are just holding us back and screwing things up imo.
dandysmom
Fondly Remembered
Washington, DC USA
dandysmom is female  dandysmom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 02:45 AM

Very interesting reactions so far on here. I got the feeling that Clegg was a dark horse.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK

16-04-2010, 02:52 AM

I'm quite surprised Eileen - I liked him before, but thought that perhaps people would see him as a pushover because of his 'liberal' ties... but he came across the strongest imo, and without even the slightest tinge of arrogance. I hope us Brits will follow you guys and vote for change and get Nick Clegg in!
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 10:13 AM

For me:-
Clegg came through as an academic who wants to improve himself. He put his case (although I am not sure his figures were correct )quite well but then he had nothing to lose.
Cameron was so intent on not taking the bait from GB that he lost points to Clegg, a good second place.
Brown came through as a dictating school bully who thinks trying to goad someone into a fight is clever.

All in all a poor entertaining show which lacked some good artistic talent.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
I'm quite surprised Eileen - I liked him before, but thought that perhaps people would see him as a pushover because of his 'liberal' ties... but he came across the strongest imo, and without even the slightest tinge of arrogance. I hope us Brits will follow you guys and vote for change and get Nick Clegg in!

Right have to admit I turned on half way through and after 2mins turned off again.

In the past have mostly voted Lib but am at odds with their policy to save money by emptying the prisons.
Victors Mate
Fondly Remembered
Planet Earth
Victors Mate is male  Victors Mate has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2010, 11:08 AM

I rather liked this.
I quote
"Cameron said: "I was in Plymouth recently and, er, a 40-year-old black man actually made the point to me. He said: 'I came here when I was six, I've served in the Navy for 30 years, I'm incredibly proud of my country, but I'm so ashamed that we've had this out-of-control system with people abusing it so badly."

Funny old thing arithmetic sometimes the numbers just won't add up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top