Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 01:30 PM

Pubs deluged with beer garden bookings

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56296518

England's pubs have been deluged by people eager to book space from when beer gardens reopen on 12 April, industry group UK Hospitality has said.

From that date, pubs are expected to be able to serve customers sitting outdoors.

One Leeds pub reported that it had taken in 700 bookings in just five hours this week.

Demand has been so high that scammers have even taken to advertising fake pub bookings.

Pubs in most of the UK have been closed to sit-in customers during the latest lockdown, creating pent-up demand.

When the Water Lane Boathouse pub in Leeds announced on Wednesday that bookings were open, it had more than 700 in just five hours.

At the Wiremill, near Lingfield in Surrey, bookings have been flooding in, even though the pub has not advertised its reopening plans.

"We're almost fully booked for the first week of opening and have already got about 2,500 people booked in for the first two weeks, even though we haven't gone out to tell customers," says pub owner Tim Foster, who runs the four-strong Yummy Pubs chain.
Don't you just know that it's all going to get out of hand .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 03:26 PM

Re: Pubs deluged with beer garden bookings

Yup, its going to be bedlam. It was pretty awful round my way, when the first tentative openings began in between lockdowns. Back to peeing in the street I guess
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 03:48 PM

Over here, the first flood was to barbers and salons, dentists, and outdoor restaurants.

Apparently, we are fixated on our heads .
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 04:31 PM

I doubt anyone around my area will be flocking to pubs. There were very few local pubs open around here prior to lockdown anyway, and two that I know of were converted into mini-supermarkets because custom had declined to the point it wasn't worth opening.

People have managed fine without pubs over this last year and they'll probably see little need to go to one. It's cheaper and easier to have a couple of drinks in your own home anyway, if so inclined.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 04:54 PM

On the BBC News this morning the pub owners were moaning about some local councils telling them that they couldn't reopen their gardens without renewing (at a cost mind you) the permissions previously granted for temporary shelters.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
Over here, the first flood was to barbers and salons, dentists, and outdoor restaurants.

Apparently, we are fixated on our heads .

My hairdresser rang me and let me pre-book for later in April, so that was handy.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
My hairdresser rang me and let me pre-book for later in April, so that was handy.
Good! I might actually get a haircut then..........
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2021, 05:11 AM

Surely booking is necessary because of covid restrictions on customer numbers? It is impossible to get a lunch or dinner booking at the local club on the weekend unless you book early.

My daughter visited today (Sunday) and we thought of going to the club for lunch but there were no vacancies at all. It is just the way of the world now.

Shows that the economy is returning to normal so it must be a good sign don't you think?
Dachs
Germany
Dachs is male  Dachs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-03-2021, 01:40 PM

Same here: pent-up demand for lots of activities and services. TV had reports on people willing to spend 400 quid just on an early hair appointment. Hairdressers said that often two appointments would be needed to remove the traces of trying to do one's own hair.
As for going to pubs as soon as they reopen, over here, you'd risk being offered beer beyond its best-before date. Not harmful to health but no delight either.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top