Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 12:41 PM

Prostate & Prostagram!

Today, in the DT News, there is news of a huge improvement in the fight against prostate cancer.

"A prostate scan breakthrough could save thousands of men from dying of cancer every year, a landmark study has found.

Scientists at Imperial College London have developed a 15-minute MRI scan, known as a Prostagram, which can detect the disease early - much like a female mammogram.

It is far less invasive than current examination methods, such as a rectal examination, and could lead to an extra 40,000 cases of prostate cancer being identified every year.

This is the first time that any scan has been accurate enough to be considered for use as a prostate cancer screening test.

The landmark trial involved 408 men in the UK having the short, non-invasive scan using innovative resonance imaging (MRI)."

>> End of Quote.

Prostate treament was a long journey.

About 8 years ago, I told my dozen, or so, golf mates, that I had booked myself in for routine PSA checks.

Out of that dozen, or so, some went on to have themselves checked out and two of them needed treatment.

Problems they didn't know they had!

PSA checks, also, had a small reputation for false positives!

Back then, follow up treatment was a little embarassing, for some, so they delayed!

Now it's getting so much easier - as long as they can get these new checks and get to grips with it!

Times are getting better.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 01:34 PM

Re: Prostate & Prostagram!

That is good news, Ted. And well done you.

I would imagine a lot of men have put off a check up because of the more well known procedure.
In fact my dear ex-husband died because he wouldn't get checked.

I thought there was also an even less intrusive and quick test now as well?
Can't they check with a simple blood test?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 01:52 PM

It is a pity that they did not have that 13 years ago. My prostate cancer was diagnosed through blood tests and high PSI.
I have always felt that it could have been found earlier when a PSI was found to be higher than it should have.
I took the option of having it removed rather than the other treatment options.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That is good news, Ted. And well done you.

I would imagine a lot of men have put off a check up because of the more well known procedure.
In fact my dear ex-husband died because he wouldn't get checked.

I thought there was also an even less intrusive and quick test now as well?
Can't they check with a simple blood test?
Yes, the blood test, back then, was not recommended, by some Docs. They were not all convinced!

However, in my Practice, back then, they were doing annual blood checks, to watch out for other things, and I had asked the nurse, at one of those, about PSA, and she said that all she had to do was tick the PSA box, in the normal blood test document, and it would be checked every year as part of the annual test.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I think "blokes" are getting more involved nowadays!

A bit more here:-

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostat...tests/psa-test
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

12-02-2021, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
It is a pity that they did not have that 13 years ago. My prostate cancer was diagnosed through blood tests and high PSI.
I have always felt that it could have been found earlier when a PSI was found to be higher than it should have.
Well done, Emjay!

Back then, a lot of men wouldn't even talk about it with other men!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 03:25 PM

It is indeed very good news. One of the problems with prostate cancer is that there are no real symptoms. My Dad had it and didn't know until he was tested for something else. Luckily he had the long_ term type and is actually clear now, has been for about three years.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 03:38 PM

I had to convince my doctor back in Worcester to let me have a PSA test because he wasn't at all sure of it (false positive results). I told him straight that I'd much sooner have a false positive than a false negative result any day of the week so, he finally agreed. I've had 3 since that first one and they've all come back negative.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 04:52 PM

Can this be done through the post
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by xirrpy ->
Can this be done through the post
Only with a very, very long needle.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2021, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Emjay ->

I had mine out 8 yrs ago, rising PSA made the decision, along with biopsies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top