Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 03:35 PM

Re: Millions without heat

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Some will have gas ?
I worry sometimes if we have a very long power cut how I’ll make a hot drink even because I’m on electric.
I have two flasks and a heap of candles stashed for such emergencies. I'm so grateful I have never had to use them, but still...its reassuring to know they are there.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I saw on the news that some folks are doing precisely that. Some are cooking all their food over a charcoal fire. Simply a dreadful situation.
Good grief! Imagine doing that in a howling snowstorm. Oh the poor people!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 03:43 PM

Hi

We are not far away from a major blackout ourselves.

Lack of investment in the infrastructure, focus being on returns to shareholders.
wildswan
New Member!
Scotland
wildswan is female 

18-02-2021, 03:52 PM

Power is just one of those things we tend to forget about and take for granted - until we have to do without. I am all electric but do have a little camping stove (just in case). Bought it six years ago and never had to use it yet.

Dreadful to think of the impact the outage must be having for so many people in those weather conditions - especially the old and the vulnerable.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We are not far away from a major blackout ourselves.

Lack of investment in the infrastructure, focus being on returns to shareholders.
With increase in electric only cars you would think plans were in place to be ready for the demand.

https://www.techregister.co.uk/motor...electric-cars/

Seems not.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
With increase in electric only cars you would think plans were in place to be ready for the demand.

https://www.techregister.co.uk/motor...electric-cars/

Seems not.
Hi

I finished work some years ago, infrastucture was a big issuue and still is.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 04:15 PM

What a tragedy! My heart goes out to them all.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

18-02-2021, 04:20 PM

Hi

Six years ago we identififed that 2 Billion had to be spent on our system to protect it against cyber attacks and ( Billion on making the infrastructure more robost.

Nothing has happened.

Parts of our crucial switching Infranstrucure are older and more vulnerable than Texas.
xirrpy
Devon-all of it
xirrpy is male  xirrpy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 05:13 PM

I read that Texas liked its independence and refused to join the other parts of the national grid. Spekt its regretting it now
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2021, 05:25 PM

Oh dear, maybe there's still a few few First Nation people that haven't been killed yet that could tell them how to manage without polluting all and sundry. It ALMOST makes me feel sorry for them.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top