Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2021, 11:40 PM

Re: What separates true friends from acquaintances?

Yes, an abacus is a true friend.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 12:36 AM

One of my 'true' friends lost her husband yesterday & I'm trying to be there for her as I know she would me.

It's hard with covid of course but phone calls are allowed & if she phones me up at 3.00am then I would listen..
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 01:51 AM

One word. Trust.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 02:11 AM

If you have to watch what you say it's an acquaintance. A real friend won't get offended or if they do they will forgive you and you will both forget about it. You can talk to a real friend months, years after not seeing each other and it's like you were never apart. I think sometimes that real friends are soulmates that you have known in a different life. It seems that we gravitate towards some people and you just click. With an acquaintance there is no clicking.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by carol ->
One of my 'true' friends lost her husband yesterday & I'm trying to be there for her as I know she would me.

It's hard with covid of course but phone calls are allowed & if she phones me up at 3.00am then I would listen..
You are being a true friend. She is lucky to have you.
Sage
U. S.
Sage is female  Sage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If you have to watch what you say it's an acquaintance. A real friend won't get offended or if they do they will forgive you and you will both forget about it. You can talk to a real friend months, years after not seeing each other and it's like you were never apart. I think sometimes that real friends are soulmates that you have known in a different life. It seems that we gravitate towards some people and you just click. With an acquaintance there is no clicking.
I agree. Keezoy, I also agree trust is important. When and how do you know you can trust someone? I've made some mistakes in this department lately.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
One word. Trust.
Definitely.

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Perfect description, Annie, and I am blessed with three who fit that category. Plenty of acquaintances.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 08:48 AM

Three good friends of mine have died over the past few years & I can't seem to replace them. Soon I will have no friends.

Is it possible to make new friends who become 'true' friends in one's old age?
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 08:53 AM

I know what you mean Carol, pals from way back where you have shared history are so special and can never be replaced. New pals are an adventure though and its fun getting to know people not like old pals....just different
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 11:25 AM

Very true words, Anne. The ex married couple I knew from 30 odd years ago, one of whom has a lovely new partner, who also classes me as her friend, I now don’t see since I moved away, but when we used to meet up after months apart, it was exactly that, like no time had passed.

The man and his new partner would never let me pay for or contribute towards meals out. His ex wife once sat beside me, stroking my hand, as I writhed in pain after my surgery exactly 7 years ago. She saw me at my lowest and at my worst. The ex husband, at my request, collected me from hospital (in London), and drove me down to Sussex to the convalescence home I spent two weeks at, and collected me after to take home. Yes, I paid him expenses.

All three people are very dear to me.

The lady at the allotment, I’d like to think was a friend, but then she did do the dirty on me over there, and I’ve never forgiven her. It was sly, and sneaky! When I told the then allotments officer I wanted the two raised beds that my then deceased brother in law had, I mistakenly told her of my intention, and she swooped in days before I was due to meet him, and took one for herself. Not just any one, no, the one that wasn’t directly under a huge walnut tree, which dropped its walnuts onto the bed and caused such a mess.

Would a true friend do that? No, she knew I was meeting him three days later. She knew what she was doing. We still talk on the phone, and I enjoy our conversations, especially allotment gossip, but now class her as an acquaintance.

My neighbour at the flats? Hmmmm, maybe as a friend, but we never met socially, more conversing on the phone and we had a shared interest on what was going on around us, and issues on the site.

Beginning to talk to more neighbours here in lowestoft, one who gave me her phone number. She has a partner and is younger, so maybe not a close friend, but somebody I could probably call on if I needed help. She actually put that on her note, when she gave her number.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top