Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 01:49 AM

New Zealand tsunami warning

Evacuation orders have been issued for New Zealanders living in some areas on the east coast of the North Island after a third earthquake struck in the area. Residents have been advised to move to higher ground.

The latest was a magnitude-8.0 quake that struck the Kermadec Islands, north-east of New Zealand's North Island.

This came shortly after a magnitude-7.4 earthquake in the same region.

Australia's Norfolk Island has been issued a similar warning
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 02:10 AM

Re: New Zealand tsunami warning

I hope everyone gets and heeds the warnings. I wish them the best. It's a scary thing to be evacuated and nothing to mess with.

Those are some powerful back-to-back earthquakes, Bruce! There's quite a bit of activity in the Ring of Fire lately.

Good thoughts for coastal Kiwis.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 04:46 AM

The warning has been cancelled for Hawai'i and, according to CNN downgraded from "land and marine threat" to "beach and marine threat," meaning all residents who evacuated can now return to their homes.
It added that strong currents and unpredictable surges may continue for several hours, and that people should stay away from beaches, shores and rivers."

No thanks. These things can be unpredictable. I think I'd want to wait it out on Mt. Cook for a while .
Ciderman
Masterton, New Zealand
Ciderman is male  Ciderman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 07:26 AM

Tsunami warnings now down graded to avoid swimming and beaches. We do get a hell of a lot but most you don't even feel but these were pretty obvious
https://www.geonet.org.nz/earthquake
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 07:31 AM

Sounds very scary to me - I hope it does not develope into a tsunami.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 08:23 AM

Sounds like you were lucky this time, long may you continue to be..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 08:45 AM

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top