Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 07:36 PM

Re: Why is covid killing people of colour

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
It was a really excellent documentary explaining the various factors that make up the reasons why people of colour a4e more likely to die of covid . David Harewood himself said he was ashamed to reach 55 years of age and being black himself without knowing many of these factors .
It was very sympathetically presented there was no real blame just a statement of why people of colour in the U.K. are more likely to die .
It was quite horrendous in some cases the way people of colour have been treated . It was eye opening with lots I didn’t know .
That’s how I felt about it too .
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 07:50 PM

The prog does state that bames are running the nhs at ground level, then goes off on the racism tangent.

I think they hit on the first & foremost reason.

God bless.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 07:55 PM

Is there any evidence of a genetic reason?

I don't think so.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2021, 10:07 PM

https://inews.co.uk/culture/televisi...e-covid-892351

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 02:27 AM

I don't agree with the theories. The vitamin D connection is the strongest IMO. Why? because in countries where there are fewer people dying there is more sunshine. We had a low level of deaths here during the summer months. People with darker skin do no absorb as much Vit D during winter months.

There are also social factors, black people are less likely to worry about masks. Asian families do live in multi generational households. But neither of those factors is IMO as strong as the connection to vitamin D absorption. You have to compare countries with similar weather to see whether another country with our climate has different results.

Every ethnicity has health risks of different diseases. Deprivation and poor health outcomes are linked whatever your ethnicity. Poor health condition plus covid equals a lower chance of recovery.

IMO if they got rid of chicken shops, chip shops and various takeaways you would vastly improve the health of the majority of the deprived. If you removed cigarettes and made alcohol more difficult to source then that would add to the improvements, if you increased green spaces and reduced pollution that would add to the improvements, if you made neighbourhoods safer so that people would leave their house to exercise that would vastly improve health improvements. It's not about covid, but about general social disparities. These disprarities are nothing new but there are ways to change them particularly by reducing access to fast food but councils are loathe to do this because there is massive revenue there.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK

05-03-2021, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I don't agree with the theories. The vitamin D connection is the strongest IMO. Why? because in countries where there are fewer people dying there is more sunshine. We had a low level of deaths here during the summer months. People with darker skin do no absorb as much Vit D during winter months.

There are also social factors, black people are less likely to worry about masks. Asian families do live in multi generational households. But neither of those factors is IMO as strong as the connection to vitamin D absorption. You have to compare countries with similar weather to see whether another country with our climate has different results.

Every ethnicity has health risks of different diseases. Deprivation and poor health outcomes are linked whatever your ethnicity. Poor health condition plus covid equals a lower chance of recovery.

IMO if they got rid of chicken shops, chip shops and various takeaways you would vastly improve the health of the majority of the deprived. If you removed cigarettes and made alcohol more difficult to source then that would add to the improvements, if you increased green spaces and reduced pollution that would add to the improvements, if you made neighbourhoods safer so that people would leave their house to exercise that would vastly improve health improvements. It's not about covid, but about general social disparities. These disprarities are nothing new but there are ways to change them particularly by reducing access to fast food but councils are loathe to do this because there is massive revenue there.

Hmmm ...
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 09:28 AM

Driving into Bradford its easy to see what terrible hygiene standards abound....filthy curtains slung across filthy windows gardens strewn with rubbish litter everywhere....you can't keep blaming the government for this type of behaviour and poor standards....I grew up in the slums of Leeds but I got a clip around the ear if I dropped litter.....people have to take personal responsibility the virus thrives because its allowed to.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 09:50 AM

It was interesting though that both of David’s Harewoods parents came from Barbados where diabetes is rife die to the diet which is very sugar orientated . Rum for a start is practically liquid sugar . Ditto cancer and they have covid too which knocks the vitamin D theory on the head ad they have lots of sun.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 09:55 AM

Hi

First some misconceptions.

Councils have minimal control over fast food outlets, the Government relaxed controls years ago.

There are plenty of street food outlets abroad, it is what we eat which matters..

I have been onboth a Covid Eard and A covid recovery ward.

Yes they are being run by BAME Groups, but they are having the vaccone.

They have studied and passed exams, white british do not, hence the disparity.

The Asians in particular are under huge parental pressure to do well at school.

Simple fact of life, we are lazier than them and many think it is cool not to do well at school.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->

Hallelujah!.... I totally agree with this...^^^^^^^^^
However, when I was in Barbados, most people were obese and smoked their heads off. Vitamin D is good, but it's not that good, and black skin does not absorb as much sunlight as white skin, so even in Barbados with all the sunshine it doesn't mean there isn't a Vit D deficiency. Obviously there are many other factors that determine the spread and outcome from the Covid 19 virus, but I believe sunshine and Vitamin D are the best weapons to have at your disposal. There is a good reason why viruses in the UK are worst in winter. From the end of October to the end of March, not only don't we go out as much, when we do there won't be a lot of skin showing.
It's time that some black people realised that white people are not the cause of their problems.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top