Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 10:13 AM

Re: Unless screwed down it could be stolen …

We are not immune from theft in the countryside, a few years ago someone stole the church bell , there is no bell tower in the tiny church it used to hang in a large tree alerting villager to news good and bad and sadly missed. Someone also stole the oil from the tank used to heat the church.

Lots of livestock is stolen both live and dead, the animals are sometimes killed and skinned in the fields and just take the carcass taken.

Hanging baskets and garden furniture are te current favourites for taking around here.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
We are not immune from theft in the countryside, a few years ago someone stole the church bell , there is no bell tower in the tiny church it used to hang in a large tree alerting villager to news good and bad and sadly missed. Someone also stole the oil from the tank used to heat the church.

Lots of livestock is stolen both live and dead, the animals are sometimes killed and skinned in the fields and just take the carcass taken.

Hanging baskets and garden furniture are te current favourites for taking around here.

That is true Meg, we've had a couple of spate's of lambs being slaughtered or stolen round here too. I believe a couple of young foals were taken from a field too - and that's before we even start on all the dog thieving.

Generators, a digger, and even a tractor were nicked a while back as well.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
One of my abiding memories of Thatcher's Britain when I visited in 1988 was the stink of piss in the stairwells of multi storey car parks and alleyways.
Buckingham Palace is the same. Stinks of piss.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 04:36 PM

I have heard stories of ponds being stolen, the whole lot. fish, plants, pumps and liners. I think they left most of the water behind though.

Many years ago when I lived in Council flats, the Council were adding an apex roof to the block which was ten flats long. The new roof arrived, all pre- constructed as they do and was dumped in the road outside the building. By the next morning, the whole lot had gone.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I have heard stories of ponds being stolen, the whole lot. fish, plants, pumps and liners. I think they left most of the water behind though.

Many years ago when I lived in Council flats, the Council were adding an apex roof to the block which was ten flats long. The new roof arrived, all pre- constructed as they do and was dumped in the road outside the building. By the next morning, the whole lot had gone.
Especially so if the fish are large Koi carp - they are very, very expensive to buy.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-03-2021, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Especially so if the fish are large Koi carp - they are very, very expensive to buy.
Indeed. Thousands some of them.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Indeed. Thousands some of them.
Is that why Herons nick them? Because they can get a good price....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

05-03-2021, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Is that why Herons nick them? Because they can get a good price....
Fly-by-nights the lot of 'em.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 07:43 AM

Hi

I had some new railway sleepers delivered Thursday, they were dumped in the front garden.

They worth quite a bit and are on full view.

I have had two sleepless nights with the CCTV waking me up with movement.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by PooBear ->
They investigated the outage and found the bodies.
Poetic justice!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top