Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 11:59 AM

Grow your own Organically

I find this report about the amount of chemicals in our food from the growers, quite alarming, and because of it they are calling for more of us to try and grow more of our own fruit and veg.

I knew strawberries were notoriously bad, as the skins are so absorbent and we do not peel them, but so many other so-called 'healthy' foods are contaminated too. Foods the 'experts' keep telling us to eat more of!

Here's part of the article:

" The charity 'Garden Organic' has made this call following analysis of government data by Pesticide Action Network UK.

" A staggering 89% of strawberries, 78% of grapes, 81% of pre-packed Salads and 52% of apples were shown to contain multiple pesticide residues.

In some cases this included up to 14 different pesticides.
Citrus fruits came out worst, with 99% of grapefuits and 96% of clementines, mandarins and satusmas containing chemicals."

James Campbell, Chief Executive from Garden Organic, said: " It's shocking to see the extent of the hidden cocktail of pesticides in many of the foods we readily consume day to day. It is more important than ever to look for organic options which are free of pesticides. Or we strongly recommend trying to grow some of this fruit and veg at home yourself."

As I said earlier, what annoys me most is these are the very foods that the health experts are always telling us to eat more of!
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 12:14 PM

Re: Grow your own Organically

S'alright Mups, I'll get you some organic veggies from my wee allotment. Mushroom compost and everything. Might take a while though.... *ahem* But seriously, yes...its a huge concern, and I'm worried it will only get worse in time. I wonder if washing them (as recommended) actually works? Bit difficult to wash the inside of a mandarin....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
S'alright Mups, I'll get you some organic veggies from my wee allotment. Mushroom compost and everything. Might take a while though.... *ahem* But seriously, yes...its a huge concern, and I'm worried it will only get worse in time. I wonder if washing them (as recommended) actually works? Bit difficult to wash the inside of a mandarin....

Pixie, thanks for the offer of some nice organics , but my personal view is that fruits like strawberries with their absorbent outer layers absorb the pesticides, so it is not something you can get rid of by sticking it under the tap.

Maybe oranges and fruit/veg we peel and/or cook, might be a little safer, but I don't know.

I am more concerned about why this is allowed to happen in the first place - and it makes me wonder about the reason for the increasing cancers these days.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

I am more concerned about why this is allowed to happen in the first place - and it makes me wonder about the reason for the increasing cancers these days.
Oh I have no doubt they are connected. I also believe the extra chemical are due to an expanding population to feed, and to keep the stuff "fresh" as it travels all over the world. Although by the time its gets here, its tasteless mush.

Edited to add a link about the chemicals in water
https://www.rt.com/news/478409-thm-water-europe-cancer/
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 03:10 PM

I usually shop almost exclusively for organic fruit and vegetables being lucky enough to live in an area where many are widely grown. Sadly the pandemic has made it difficult to do that because of staying home and shopping online.
Waitrose do sell some Organic produce but it is not the same.

The place I like most Greenlink is supplied my numerous small organic growers, it has dirty misshapen produce that taste great.

I grow as much as a I can myself these days . I have a cocktail of chemicals from the medication I have to take going into my body I prefer not to add to that if I can.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-03-2021, 06:28 PM

I also grow some vegetables and lots of herbs in my garden. It’s not much but it’s a start
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

05-03-2021, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
I also grow some vegetables and lots of herbs in my garden. It’s not much but it’s a start

It's better than not doing anything at all, Minx.

We haven't all got the time or the space to grow on a large scale anyway.

I usually have the 'Salad Bowl' type lettuce leaves, and some tomatoes and carrots, but this year I may have some runner beans again, plus strawerries and a few potatoes too. I always grow about a dozen tomato plants for my friend every year too.

I haven't got room for anything else, mainly because my garden is full of flowers.
Kazz
West Mids
Kazz is female  Kazz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Every marathon starts with one step

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top