Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 01:42 PM

Re: Bowel cancer screening

I am so impressed with this service - telephoned early this morning to hear one of those disembodied voices telling me there was a long queue of calls waiting. Was about to hang up when it continued to say if I left my name and number I would be called later in the day. Did that - was called within 20mins - delightful person sorted everything out for me - should have the kit within 10 days.

Thank you, Mups, for starting the thread and providing the link.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by scot37 ->
I used to do it regularly but they stopped sending me a kit. In Scotland there is a cut off point if you are over a certain age. Don't know if it is the same in England.
Yes it is the same in England with the age related cut off point, BUT, you also have the option to use the freephone number to register your interest in continuing with the tests, which is what I have done. Cancer is still the big killer, so I believe it is in my interest to continue with the tests for as long as they are willing to send the test kits out to me.
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 05:08 PM

I've lost 3 friends to bowel cancer so have been doing the tests since I was 60
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-01-2021, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
I am so impressed with this service - telephoned early this morning to hear one of those disembodied voices telling me there was a long queue of calls waiting. Was about to hang up when it continued to say if I left my name and number I would be called later in the day. Did that - was called within 20mins - delightful person sorted everything out for me - should have the kit within 10 days.

Thank you, Mups, for starting the thread and providing the link.

Well done, Tabs. Glad you got it sorted.

I got in a muddle and had to ring them today too.
I also had a very nice, helpful young lady who sorted me out quickly and easily.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2021, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Wise words, EZ.
So glad your son was a survivor.

Thanks Mups. Yes a huge relief! Unfortunately while the cancer has gone, the recent scans have shown something amiss with his kidneys. He is off to Guys today for an Ultrasound to see what's going on there. I'm not having any more kids!
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Do it! If you get offered the test don't refuse it. My eldest son (57) has just been declared free of his bowel cancer after a full year of treatment including both Chemo and Radiotherapy. The effects and after effects of the treatment were far worse than the cancer itself. Never assume because you have no symptoms that don't have the disease. By the time you are displaying symptoms it could well be too late. Please don't be one of those that think " It won't happen to me I feel too well"

Very sad to say that my sons cancer has returned and in a "more aggressive form" The hospital is saying they may have to remove a Kidney before can even start Chemo again. If you have any symptoms and even if you don't, be aware! and get tested if you can. Prevention is better than cure.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Very sad to say that my sons cancer has returned and in a "more aggressive form" The hospital is saying they may have to remove a Kidney before can even start Chemo again. If you have any symptoms and even if you don't, be aware! and get tested if you can. Prevention is better than cure.
Excellent advice, EZ, am sorry to hear your son has further problems.

I sent for the test, completed it, returned it and am glad to say the results are clear. But if our lovely Mups had not put up this thread I might not have thought about it - so thanks Mups.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 02:17 PM

EZ, I’m so sad to hear about your son’s condition, it must be such a worrying time for you and your family.

Thank you for your excellent advice, as you say prevention is better than cure. I hope everyone here will take that on board.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 03:33 PM

Sorry to hear about your son EZ, I hope he can beat it again. Send him our best wishes....
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry to hear about your son EZ, I hope he can beat it again. Send him our best wishes....
Ditto. All the best from me.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top