Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:05 PM

Re: Painful encounters with animals

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
Unlike Africa, Europe and the Americas, we have no particularly dangerous land mammals in Australia. An angry adult kangaroo can kill you with one well placed swipe of that strong heavy tail and it can disembowel you with those sharp claws. But it will only do that if you try to hurt it's joey or antagonise it for fun. In which case you probably deserve it. Otherwise no problem. But we make up for it one hundred fold by what is in the ocean and the reptilian and insect creatures that live in both the city and the outback and everywhere in between. I am lucky. I've never been bitten by a Taipan or a funnel web spider. Otherwise in the case of the former I wouldn't be here talking to you. I've come face to face with sharks but they chose not to pick on me. Never been stung by an Irukandji. So, still here. But I have had some painful bites. Red back spiders leave their mark. Extremely painful but rarely fatal. The very worst pain I have felt from a bite was from a bush scorpion. Only small. About 6 cm long. Steel grey colour. I was stung on the little finger while lifting a brick. I felt nothing at first. But after a minute or two I felt like my whole hand was on fire. Then after another minute I passed out. The infoprmation line said I would be OK as long as there were no allergic reactions. There wasn't. But I had to just fight through the pain and that it would ease ina day or two...Whaa!!?..So I drank several cans of beer, took a variety of other drugs..legal and otherwise. Until I passed out again. The pain lasted three days before it settled. That tiny little part of my finger is still numb to this day. THat happened over thirty years ago.
Scorpions in general in Africa are dangerous but I’ve not heard of the bush spider. I cannot believe that you still have numbness on the tip of your finger 30 years later! Ok - you take the prize for the most painful encounter!
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa
Minx is female  Minx has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Psmith ->
Stumbled upon a wasps nest in a loft.Go bitten quite a few times before I made my escape.
I detest wasps! Even their nests look scary!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 12:07 PM

I was about 13 or 14 when I went to Blankenburg (Belgium) for a week on a school trip. One sunny day we all went down to the beach, teachers and all, to play games and swim in the sea.
I loved swimming and was the first to go splashing through the surf and started swimming out. We had been warned about the jellyfish lurking just below the surface, but were assured that should we inadvertently come into contact with one, it would be no more than a nettle sting of which I have had plenty.

So I ducked and veaved my way through a small gathering of them undaunted, until I came face to face with a large purple one that looked somehow different from the others. It was heading straight for my face, so I raised my arm and swept it out of my way. I immediately felt an excruciating pain down my arm, my chest and tummy, and the inside of my thigh as it swept past.

In great pain I swam to the shore and staggered up the beach to a concerned teacher. Each beach had it's own little hut for changing and a bloke who looked after it. He applied something to the red hives that were now burning like fury, he told us that it was very serious and I should be taken back to the hotel and a doctor called forthwith. A teacher helped a now delirious Foxy back to the digs, and the doctor soon followed with a hypodermic full of some potion, and apart from the intense pain, that was the last thing I remember until waking up in the evening.

I have never forgotten the pain that I felt on that day, and have not experienced anything like it since, even when breaking my arm in a road accident, when the car left the road and fell on my arm after it went flailing through the windscreen...(I wasn't driving just in case you were wondering)
I returned to Blankenburg (Belgium) last year (before Covid) on a New Year Cruise. We left the ship to travel by train to Bruges, at the ticket office they refused to take cards, so I was advised to go to the machine round the corner and bring back cash. The machine was faulty and ate my card....I had to spend the rest of the holiday with no card and no access to my bank account...

I have sworn an oath never to return to that God forsaken place ever again....
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
That sounds awful. Feral kittens! Who would have guessed. I’ll remember that!
It wasn't a very big kitten either, but boy was it feisty, daft thing was immediately we got it in the carrying cage it just sat & stared at us.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

06-03-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Twice for me.

Lost all my teeth as a teenager whilst calving a cow.

Years later, had an attack dog set on me.

Serious injuries to my leg.
Wow Swimmy! That’s terrible to hear. So sorry
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

06-03-2021, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
I once got bit by a big African Grey Parrot, my Neighbour had an Avery and asked if I would come with her to this Bird place to buy some more Birds for her Avery, and I have a habit of sticking my fingers in cages and this particular day this Parrot got me and I couldn't get my finger out and had to ask for help, Staff came and opened up the Cage and had to prize open the Birds beak to get my flat finger out.
I had no idea African Greys could bite. Maybe this particular parrot was just aggressive for some reason.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

06-03-2021, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
One of our Schnauzers Ross, a champion stud dogs managed to scale a 6 foot fence to reach another champion stud dog Bobby and my 16 year old instinct was to pick up the smallest dog and remove it .
In the process my hand was badly torn and I had to go to hospital for stitches and a tetanus injection .
In a similar situation now I would attempt to cover the eyes of one of the dogs with a garment of clothing to buy time.

I have silver statue of the dog who bit on my shelf my boss had it made to go on her car bonnet. When she became to old to drive she had the model mounted on marble and gave it to me .
I’ve heard that one should never interfere with dogs whist they’re fighting. Thank goodness both dogs didn’t turn on you.
Minx
Chatterbox
South Africa

06-03-2021, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I was about 13 or 14 when I went to Blankenburg (Belgium) for a week on a school trip. One sunny day we all went down to the beach, teachers and all, to play games and swim in the sea.
I loved swimming and was the first to go splashing through the surf and started swimming out. We had been warned about the jellyfish lurking just below the surface, but were assured that should we inadvertently come into contact with one, it would be no more than a nettle sting of which I have had plenty.

So I ducked and veaved my way through a small gathering of them undaunted, until I came face to face with a large purple one that looked somehow different from the others. It was heading straight for my face, so I raised my arm and swept it out of my way. I immediately felt an excruciating pain down my arm, my chest and tummy, and the inside of my thigh as it swept past.

In great pain I swam to the shore and staggered up the beach to a concerned teacher. Each beach had it's own little hut for changing and a bloke who looked after it. He applied something to the red hives that were now burning like fury, he told us that it was very serious and I should be taken back to the hotel and a doctor called forthwith. A teacher helped a now delirious Foxy back to the digs, and the doctor soon followed with a hypodermic full of some potion, and apart from the intense pain, that was the last thing I remember until waking up in the evening.

I have never forgotten the pain that I felt on that day, and have not experienced anything like it since, even when breaking my arm in a road accident, when the car left the road and fell on my arm after it went flailing through the windscreen...(I wasn't driving just in case you were wondering)
I returned to Blankenburg (Belgium) last year (before Covid) on a New Year Cruise. We left the ship to travel by train to Bruges, at the ticket office they refused to take cards, so I was advised to go to the machine round the corner and bring back cash. The machine was faulty and ate my card....I had to spend the rest of the holiday with no card and no access to my bank account...

I have sworn an oath never to return to that God forsaken place ever again....
Did you ever figure out what kind of sea monster got you that day sly old grey fox? It must’ve been especially difficult for you because all your schoolmates were around and you couldn’t cry.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Minx ->
Did you ever figure out what kind of sea monster got you that day sly old grey fox? It must’ve been especially difficult for you because all your schoolmates were around and you couldn’t cry.
Portuguese Man O' War Minx.....And I got a broadside...I didn't know where I was the pain was so bad, so I don't know if I cried or not...
It brought back such painful memories when I read you opening post...
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2021, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Portuguese Man O' War Minx.....And I got a broadside...I didn't know where I was the pain was so bad, so I don't know if I cried or not...
It brought back such painful memories when I read you opening post...
Oh, for such a beautiful colony, they can inflict such a horrible sting. Once every few years, I'll look out and the nearshore will be teaming with them. Pretty little glassy, painful creatures, they are!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top