Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 01:45 PM

Ski sticks?

Can anyone explain why I see so many people around walking with a pair of what look like ski sticks? Most of them don't appear to have any walking difficulties and it's not as though I live on the Moors or anything and it hasn't been snowing either.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 01:48 PM

Re: Ski sticks?

They are walking poles, LD.....and are mostly used for support when walking, I think. Pretty useless on pavements.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
They are walking poles, LD.....and are mostly used for support when walking, I think. Pretty useless on pavements.
Yes, that's the thing, they are just walking on pavements and they march along. Perhaps they get attached to them?
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 01:54 PM

Well...they do have a little loopy thing that goes over the wrist, so they can't be shaken off that easily. Having said that, the sticks do fold up inside themselves, like in a telescopic way...so maybe its a confidence thing? A weapon against the baddies?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 02:06 PM

It's called "Nordic Walking" I believe, and is meant to exercise the upper body whilst the walking exercises the lower half. Quite popular now I think amongst the rambling fraternity.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-03-2021, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Well...they do have a little loopy thing that goes over the wrist, so they can't be shaken off that easily. Having said that, the sticks do fold up inside themselves, like in a telescopic way...so maybe its a confidence thing? A weapon against the baddies?
Good point. there's a man who walks around here with a large wooden stick too.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2021, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Can anyone explain why I see so many people around walking with a pair of what look like ski sticks? Most of them don't appear to have any walking difficulties and it's not as though I live on the Moors or anything and it hasn't been snowing either.

Barry is correct I believe.

You ain’t seen me power walking .......I do get some funny looks....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-03-2021, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It's called "Nordic Walking" I believe, and is meant to exercise the upper body whilst the walking exercises the lower half. Quite popular now I think amongst the rambling fraternity.
Ah, I see so it's meant to get the arms working. I didn't realise it was a specific thing.

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

03-03-2021, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK

03-03-2021, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->

I get funny looks just walking, Pauline....I wander all over the pavement so anyone behind me is stuck guessing which way to overtake me! I have no sense of direction *sigh* I walk too fast I think....just not in a straight line!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top