Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 08:18 AM

Re: University Days.

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Some things I don't joke about Keezoy, round pegs in square holes being one of them.

Well working out what your questions mean is still fun. What particular round pegs in square holes are you referring to?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 08:27 AM

None conformational isomers.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I did my very best to avoid going to any Uni. When I see students going on strike or marching about some issue or other doesn't create a good impression.
Back in the summer of love, I remember my father being unimpressed, but I found the prospect of student life hugely exciting. And it was.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 08:59 AM

Spent a long time studying Criminality, at source.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by d00d ->
Back in the summer of love, I remember my father being unimpressed, but I found the prospect of student life hugely exciting. And it was.
Haw!! I was around in the summer of love. I even picnicked a few years later in the place where it all happened. The delightful Golden Gate Park. But I loved my Uni days. The first lot at least. My course was gruelling and was starkly the opposite to Realspeed's strange idea of university life.I can't remember one single day in four years that I didn't devote at least a couple of hours to it. Mostly it was 24/7 with sleep time deducted. But we did manage to fit in some fun on campus. The musical society was my main extracurricular thing. We were lucky ennough to have the National Institute of Dramatic Art (NIDA) on the same part of the campus of the University of New South Wales which was pretty cool.
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 09:16 AM

I enjoyed Uni, despite being a mature student (35). I had the kids so the "fun" side eluded me - although I wasn't a nerdy student. I did feel that the whole point was to win that piece of paper at the end, and many students did what they needed to do, in order to get it.....for example cheating. One student boasted that he went through the entire 4 year course without reading a book.
It didn't get me a job though, and I ended up in retail. Which I could have done without getting into a student loan debt, but hey ho. I'm glad I did it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 09:30 AM

Any thoughts I had of going to University were squashed at an early age - my parents didn't believe in it for girls - I supposed to make 'a good marriage'! Although I passed the exams to go Technical College - that was squashed as well. However - I am a compulsive learner - did a series of boring mundane jobs - and went to night school. Gained a lot of qualifications. Joined the NHS in a fairly low position - worked my way up to Level 4 Management. They encouraged my learning abilities - sent me off on all sorts of courses - including City & Guilds and various NVQs. But I still hankered after University - so I went at night - took me a long time but I achieved my BSc with distinction - and loved every minute of it!

I consider myself lucky to have seen both sides - working my way up - and the University. It was tiring but enjoyable. I still love learning and do something different each year. Sometimes it is academic - such as Forensics, Anatomy etc., sometimes it is just for fun - such as jewellery making, pattern drafting, design etc., Keeps the brain active!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:01 AM

Keesey
Just to say I have done ok without further education at UNI. Not just in material things but on a personal level as well.
What you posted just shows how people who get a degree or two think they are cleverer than those that didn't go. With the business I had I would rather employ a person who knew the job hands on than some UNI Geek who doesn't have a clue.
Talk about snobbery !!!!!

OH by the way both my sons have got 1st class honours degrees and one is going for his masters. Just because I am anti doesn't mean I would stop them from following their careers

Infact one has not only been head hunted by big firms in the USA and Europe but also lectures on his particular subject

other son

zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:16 AM

The only subject that really interested me at school was biology, and as I progressed into the 6th form the stage was set to do some sort of biology degree

Unfortunately I failed my A level chemistry, so that was out
But after a bit of searching I got a place to do a degree in Librarianship at a polytechnic
Then I passed A level chemistry in the November resits, so I cancelled the Librarianship and went to study botany at a university

Unfortunately I failed my first year exams; not sure exactly why
Obviously I didn't learn enough, though I seemed to study as much as anyone else
But besides that the style of the questions was different and I just couldn't get used to that

So I left, got a job, and did HNC on day release at the local college, and worked my way up from lab assistant & lab technician to eventually become in charge of a small part of an R&D Department

But now and again I wonder what would have happened if I'd done librarianship
Perhaps I'd have gone into technical librarianship, or become an archivist, or a curator, or a conservator or restorer?

So I hardly spent a year at university, but I enjoyed it and grew up a lot
I still keep in touch with a couple of friends, even after 50 years
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-03-2021, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I opted out of education at 14 years old so, have an excuse for stupidity, I knew it would come in useful further down the line.

Edit

That's no your fault Spitty, you just didn't know Beta.
Does that explain the way you spell Betta Spitty ?? 🤗🤗

Donkeyman! 👍👍

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top