Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 01:02 PM

Re: Woefully inadequate (Shopping arrangments )

I was contacted by my local Council yesterday because I am "at risk" or something and they asked how I was doing and if I needed anything. It turns out I will be getting a free box of groceries every week and they asked me how I was currently getting on for food, etc. I told them I was fine, and that I had a corner shop 30 yards away that I got the essentials at so I was doing very well. "Oh, but you shouldn't be going out!" the woman exclaimed. I just laughed and sad that I lived on my own and I was part of a VERY small family and that no-one was in a position to drop groceries off for me. As a result I had no option but to shop for myself and that regulations said I CAN go out to shop for food.

She grudgingly accepted that and said that when the weekly groceries arrived I could stay in safely. I joked that it's just as well I actually COULD shop, otherwise the previous 4 weeks with no food in the house would have killed me anyway! I further pointed out that "a box" of groceries could mean anything in size and that the groceries would no doubt be made up pretty randomly. I don't even NEED a box of miscellaneous groceries anyway! Honestly, they mean well but they really have no clue, do they.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 03:14 PM

Tachyon on what grounds did they say you were at risk ?
They could not have had your medical conditions given ?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 03:17 PM

And what about the 30mins, or so, exercise (walk in fresh air) a day you're supposed to have? Some do-gooders really need to reread the regs. and understand them properly before telling others they can't go out.
Zuleika
North West UK
Zuleika is female  Zuleika has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
And what about the 30mins, or so, exercise (walk in fresh air) a day you're supposed to have? Some do-gooders really need to reread the regs. and understand them properly before telling others they can't go out.
I don't think those who are high risk because of certain medical conditions and have been notified by the NHS as such are allowed to go out at all but I could be wrong.
Tachyon
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-04-2020, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Tachyon on what grounds did they say you were at risk ?
They could not have had your medical conditions given ?
They are liaising with the NHS I believe.

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Exactly. She must be under the impression we're not supposed to leave the house full stop. She wasn't even clued up on what the groceries were going to be, exactly. I said it would more than likely be dried and tinned goods, maybe some UHT milk, and she said "probably". I said that was very kind but it wasn't going to help with fresh fruit, veg and things like milk and bread if that was the case, so I'd STILL need to go out.

In the media somewhere I read of a man who had been contacted by phone and he said he didn't need anything and therefore wasn't interested in signing up to the scheme. The woman got quite testy and said he HAD to and that they would keep ringing him until he agreed to participate. I don't know if that was actually true or not, but I wouldn't put it past some of them.
Zuleika
North West UK

17-04-2020, 03:51 PM

So if they're liasing with the NHS you must have medical conditions that said initially you're not to leave your home for 12 weeks?The one and half million people most at risk from coronavirus are being urged to stay at home ‘at all times’. Communities minister Robert Jenrick said we have to go further and ‘shield the most clinically vulnerable people’ during a news conference alongside Prime Minister Boris Johnson. He said: ‘The National Health Service will be contacting these people in the coming days urging them to stay at home for a period of at least 12 weeks.’ Children and adults already suffering from serious health conditions face the highest risk of needing hospital treatment for Covid-19, the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) said.

Tachyon

17-04-2020, 05:32 PM

Yes, I have conditions that class me at risk, but if I hadn't left my house for the last 4 weeks I would have starved to death and been unable to pick up important medication into the bargain. So, while their policy SOUNDS great, in effect it was an unworkable pile of bollocks to me.

Now of course I am awaiting "a box" of groceries per week from them... but how long is it going to take them to actually get it to me? A week? Two weeks? Another four weeks? Until it arrives I again have no option but to shop for food, and even if/when this box arrives I have no idea what will be in it and if it will keep me going all week anyway.
Zuleika
North West UK

18-04-2020, 03:11 PM

Tachyon do you have a Sainsburys who could deliver to you ?
You can register https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-04-2020, 03:39 PM

I was diagnosed with severe COPD and have had heart problems in the past. I was told that I would be on an "At High Risk" register by 23rd March and would receive a letter from the NHS to confirm this, however in reality it didnt happen till about 30th March and i was then offered a supermarket delivery. Until then I had made a food stock list and menu of 1 small meal a day to keep me going.

I have also had a telephone call from my doctors and the local council to make sure I understood that I must not go out at all which I have not done, Besides the risk to myself I also dont want to catch the damn virus and cause more problems for the already over taxed NHS.
I am very lucky that I am able to get by however being on my own is frightening at times.
Tachyon

18-04-2020, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Zuleika ->
Tachyon do you have a Sainsburys who could deliver to you ?
You can register https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries
I'll do that if I need to (my mother has done that for a good few years now) but I haven't needed to up to now and probably never will.

The Council got in touch this morning and I told them I didn't need the groceries but that prescription delivery would be useful. I was told I could ring for groceries and other support should I require it. They're doing their best, I know, but after 5 weeks of having to do it for myself I think it's a bit daft of them to now start telling me what I should and shouldn't be doing.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top