Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 04:10 PM

Re: UK Refuses to Grant EU Diplomats Full Status

Originally Posted by weedeek ->
I struggle to see what makes the UK so special that we have to act like this. Look at the way other countries think of the “exeptionalism “ that led to Brexit to put our status in perspective.
On the contrary: what makes the EU so special that they think they deserve to be given rights only afforded to nation states?

BTW nobody outside the UK except a few within the EU cares about Brexit.
Pretty much the only people inside the EU that care are those that aren't able to eat their paella, scallops or lobster.
Your perception of what "other countries" think isn't only delusional, but it smacks of the old "keeping up with the Joneses" mentality which is seriously outdated.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 04:11 PM

Hi

We are the one playing silly idiots, it is a deliberate snub.

If they ahd done that to us I would have wanting retaliation.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

We are the one playing silly idiots, it is a deliberate snub.

If they ahd done that to us I would have wanting retaliation.
First, do please open your eyes.
Stop ignoring the "silly idiot" overzealous EU customs officials for a start.

Why aren't you wanting retaliation for Ireland then and the EU's ask for frankly daft border rules there?
In return maybe we could hive off the northwest of France and have a border in Ile de France and Champagne-Ardenne.

As for the over-zealous customs officials when (as you know) we could do the same?
Make ALL EU imports undergo UK customs checks & nothing passes until checked - imagine the delays that would cause in France.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
First, do please open your eyes.
Stop ignoring the "silly idiot" overzealous EU customs officials for a start.

Why aren't you wanting retaliation for Ireland then and the EU's ask for frankly daft border rules there?
In return maybe we could hive off the northwest of France and have a border in Ile de France and Champagne-Ardenne.

As for the over-zealous customs officials when (as you know) we could do the same?
Make ALL EU imports undergo UK customs checks & nothing passes until checked - imagine the delays that would cause in France.
Hi

We cannot retaliate with overzealous UK Inspections simply because we have too few officials to do te checks.

Parliament has already been told we will not be collecting £800 miliion in duties this year .
Zaphod
Lincs UK

21-01-2021, 04:32 PM

Hi

We cannot retaliate with overzealous UK Inspections simply because we have too few officials to do te checks.

Parliament has already been told we will not be collecting £800 miliion in duties this year .
And there you've given a great example of what we SHOULD do and why.
Remember that far more enters the UK than leaves it.

It would take ages just to clear any backlog because we don't (apparently) have enough officials ........ though strangely it seems we will in (now) 5 months time?

Everybody knew there would be changes when it was decided that we were leaving.
If the EU haven't changed what is needed from third countries (they haven't AFAIK) then obviously some UK companies have been too lazy to look into what would be needed.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 04:35 PM

Hi

Can you provide a link to verify this please Swimmy. I've spent the last 10mins looking and can't find it on Google.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
Can you provide a link to verify this please Swimmy. I've spent the last 10mins looking and can't find it on Google.
What duties are these ? We don't have import duties on goods from the EU ... or am I missing something ?

Is it the amount Swimmy would be paying if he had to pay tax on his duty free fags and booze when he goes on his Calais booze cruise in his van every year ?
Percy Vere
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
What duties are these ? We don't have import duties on goods from the EU ... or am I missing something ?

Is it the amount Swimmy would be paying if he had to pay tax on his duty free fags and booze when he goes on his Calais booze cruise in his van every year ?
God knows. The only reference I found to an £800m shortfall was in overall Council tax receipts.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire

21-01-2021, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->

Hi

Here we go

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1790618.html
Percy Vere

21-01-2021, 05:11 PM

Hi

Here we go

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-b1790618.html
Thanks but I can't see it for the demand for subscription.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top