Join for free
Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 05:06 PM

Re: Eurostar in cash crisis !!

Hi

Used it many times, love it.

I will be sad if it goes.

However it is not our problem and we need to look after ourselves.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Am I the only person that loves France & the tunnel?

The first time I traveled in the Tunnel I was terrified, but after a couple more journeys I loved it and thought it was the best way to get France, and many other places.
It is fast and I loved having a snack & half a glass of wine on the journey, in our own car!
I will be sad if the tunnel has outlived it's use , just because of Covid19
No, probably not.
But please don't confuse the country of France with who Eurostar, a company, are owned by.

The UK wouldn't bail out foreign-owned airlines or ferry services.
A foreign-owned train service is no different.

The service will not "go" BTW.
As I have said before; if the operator (in this case Eurostar) fails then another operator will take their place.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I believe they were - until they started due diligence and looked at the books!
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-01-2021, 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
No, probably not.
But please don't confuse the country of France with who Eurostar, a company, are owned by.

As I have said before; if the operator (in this case Eurostar) fails then another operator will take their place.
I expect Branson will be looking for another bargain backed by
taxpayers ??

Donkeyman! 👎🤔👎
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zaphod ->
No, probably not.

I totally agree with you Zaphod. I see no reason why the UK should help Eurostar survive, but that Tunnel cost a lot of time, effort and money to build so it would be dreadful to lose it. I really hope that somebody with money can keep it open & used.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
I totally agree with you Zaphod. I see no reason why the UK should help Eurostar survive, but that Tunnel cost a lot of time, effort and money to build so it would be dreadful to lose it. I really hope that somebody with money can keep it open & used.
Short of filling it in the tunnel certainly will not ever be "lost".
Eurotunnel are an operator of trains like Hull Trains and Grand Central - both of whom have ceased services because they know that our government has no contractual obligation to bail them out.
There is no reason whatsoever for Eurostar to receive preferential treatment in that regard.

As far as running the service is concerned it has been proven that the rivalry of operators has reduced fairs, boosted customer satisfaction and delivered more trains to boot!
So I don't think that anybody is really very concerned that - should Eurostar fail - there won't be anybody willing to run the service.

If you have access, this might help explain (or a free trial is available):
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/b...orth-qrkhz7df8
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 11:07 AM

Hi

We do not pay, we sold our share.

It can go bankrupt and have a new owner.

We should offer to buy it, for £1
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 01:21 PM

What happened to all of Eurostars share holders ? Shouldn't they be paying for this ?
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
What happened to all of Eurostars share holders ? Shouldn't they be paying for this ?
Exactly this. The shareholders are happy to milk the profits in the good times but point-blank refuse to pay those profits back in the lean times to keep the company going.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-01-2021, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bread ->
Considering that SNCF (French national railways, which is mostly state-owned) and, I think, a Canadian Pensions company own the vast majority of the shares then, yes, they should be ploughing their own (or their subscribers) money into it or, God forbid, letting it go bankrupt and losing their stakes completely.

Page 5 of 10 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top