Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 11:20 PM

Pit bulls and babies

Am I the only one who freaks-out when we see a pit bull come close to a baby ? If it was my baby or, grandchild or my great-grandchild, I'd never allow a pit bull to come anywhere near the baby.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.19.16-Man-Afraid-of-Wifes-Pit-Bull-Blown-Away0-590x399.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	12496  
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 11:34 PM

Re: Pit bulls and babies

Depends on how it's been raised. If it's by some arsehole skinhead type who has one for macho posturing then chances are that the dog won't have been trained properly. I worked in properties that have Pitbulls, and they've been loving and affectionate.

Having said that, would you really trust ANY dog that hasn't been taught any social skills?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-05-2020, 11:38 PM

Bakerman, in the UK, it is illegal to own, breed, or sell Pitbulls.
This breed, and about three foreign breeds have been banned since the Dangerous Dogs Act came into force back in the early 1990's.
keezoy
Australia
keezoy is male  keezoy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:14 AM

I am a dog lover and We've had them all our lives (so far) My wife is a veterinary pharmacist. THere's no easy answer with them. Like people, they have many behaviours common to their species but they are all different and there is absolute evidence that some breeds are represented in incidents or violent behaviours more than others. All dogs are dangerous if they are encouraged to be or mistreated and therefore always defensive. JUst like people. End of the day they are animals and can't be expected to behave well ALL the time..like us wonderful humans. (joke) You can enjoy a dog and it can be your best friend regardless of the breed. It can protect you with it's life. But don't take chances..ever..
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Bakerman, in the UK, it is illegal to own, breed, or sell Pitbulls.
This breed, and about three foreign breeds have been banned since the Dangerous Dogs Act came into force back in the early 1990's.
Wow ! I didn't know that. I wish the U.S would do the same.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 12:49 AM

When a baby cries or squeaks a dog can react to that noise and think it is a squeaky toy with horrendous results. Even our Afghan hounds raised their heads to see where the noise was coming from, consequently they were never left alone with our babies.
Even the most docile of "pet" dog can react to something even a door/phone bell ring can set them off. Teazle barks like mad when someone is at the front door or a strange noise outside, and she is the daftest softest little sod you could wish to meet

Banned breeds in UK

Pit Bull terrier, Japanese Tosas, Dogo Argentino and the Fila Braziliero.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 06:31 AM

That picture freaks me out too Bakerman...I would.never leave any dog with a baby no matter how well trained they are.

I have never felt at ease with dogs I don't know why that is because I love animals....I suppose.because I never had one as a child makes a difference.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:28 AM

I would NEVER trust a dog, any dog - or cat for that matter alone with a baby or young child. Not only for the same of the child but also for the sake of the dog or cat. I've seen other peoples kids do the most awful things to animals.

On one occasion before I could say a word the memsahib got in before me and a blazing row ensued. As a result we were told to leave. No regrets on our part.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 09:50 AM

That photo made me feel nauseated, how could anyone allow a dog or..... or cat get that close to a very young defenceless baby.... or any young child.

No matter how much you trust your pet, you never know for sure how the animal would react if left alone with a baby or young child.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-05-2020, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by keezoy ->
I am a dog lover and We've had them all our lives (so far) My wife is a veterinary pharmacist. THere's no easy answer with them. Like people, they have many behaviours common to their species but they are all different and there is absolute evidence that some breeds are represented in incidents or violent behaviours more than others. All dogs are dangerous if they are encouraged to be or mistreated and therefore always defensive. JUst like people. End of the day they are animals and can't be expected to behave well ALL the time..like us wonderful humans. (joke) You can enjoy a dog and it can be your best friend regardless of the breed. It can protect you with it's life. But don't take chances..ever..
Good advice keezoy, we had a rottweiler male from a pup and he
was brought up with our young kids with no problems, in fact if
my son became a nuisance the dog used his behind to knock my
son over and then sat on him till he shut up and then let him get up
again! But one day he broke through my fence and attacked and
killed the next door dog who used to tease him through the fence!!
I took him to the spca and they got him placed on a farm with no
children, just in case!

Donkeyman! 😢😢

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top