Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 05:56 PM

Re: Mains powered smoke alarm

I have to sort out my own mains powered alarms soon. They too seem to be discontinued which is annoying or I could have left the base plate in place and just slotted on the new alarm unit. I'll probably go for battery alarms making sure that they are big enough to cover where the old one was. As for the wiring to them I'll just put it in a terminal block and shove it up into the ceiling.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by digitalham ->
I have to sort out my own mains powered alarms soon. They too seem to be discontinued which is annoying or I could have left the base plate in place and just slotted on the new alarm unit. I'll probably go for battery alarms making sure that they are big enough to cover where the old one was. As for the wiring to them I'll just put it in a terminal block and shove it up into the ceiling.
I suggested the same on a certain DIY site a couple of weeks ago and was told in no uncertain times that I mustn't do that! The terminal block must go in a container first, and to do that would mean making a bigger hole in the ceiling.
In my case, fortunately, the smoke alarm isn't actually mains-powered, but powered from the intruder alarm at 12V, so I'm going to ignore the 'warning'!
digitalham
United Kingdom
digitalham is male  digitalham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 07:33 PM

Did they give any reason why?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 08:20 PM

Did they give any reason why?
Yes, that to leave any mains wiring, even in an unprotected choc block, in the loft would be dangerous and illegal. I believe them, as I have heard similar safety concerns elsewhere on the forum.
Incidentally, the guys giving advice on that forum are mostly qualified electricians.
digitalham
United Kingdom

17-09-2020, 08:42 PM

Not an issue for me although it almost certainly would contravene wiring regulations. The loft has monster thick insulation and is fully boarded above that. The other two detectors are downstairs.

I may use wired detectors anyway if the new models are big enough to cover the place the old ones were - I don't want to be repainting ceilings. I suppose another option would be to just add additional detectors and leave the old ones in place although that would look a little odd.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2020, 09:03 PM

Not an issue for me although it almost certainly would contravene wiring regulations. The loft has monster thick insulation and is fully boarded above that. The other two detectors are downstairs.

I may use wired detectors anyway if the new models are big enough to cover the place the old ones were - I don't want to be repainting ceilings. I suppose another option would be to just add additional detectors and leave the old ones in place although that would look a little odd.
Yes, ours has thick insulation and is boarded over in that location.
I'm not one to bother with regulations normally, but if there is the likelihood of any possible consequences that might invalidate my house insurance, I do take note!
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 09:08 PM

it almost certainly would contravene wiring regulations. The loft has monster thick insulation and is fully boarded above that.
It does contravene on several counts

....as does cables through monster thick insulation
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

17-09-2020, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
It does contravene on several counts

....as does cables through monster thick insulation
How about 12V cables?
Havenview
United Kingdom
Havenview is male  Havenview has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
How about 12V cables?
There is no requirement to protect ELV (your "12v" cable) cables from loft insulation but the should be minimum 50mm distance from any LV ("mains") cable

...and of course that 12v cable will still "go" somewhere and, as an assumption, will connect to a transformer so that still does bind it to the regulations that are implied from that - in other words your 12v cable is still "connected" to the mains via a transformer
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

18-09-2020, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Havenview ->
There is no requirement to protect ELV (your "12v" cable) cables from loft insulation but the should be minimum 50mm distance from any LV ("mains") cable

...and of course that 12v cable will still "go" somewhere and, as an assumption, will connect to a transformer so that still does bind it to the regulations that are implied from that - in other words your 12v cable is still "connected" to the mains via a transformer
Thanks.
I now have the replacement smoke alarm and notice that there is a nice convenient hollow all around the base. That would be ideal for housing the old cables, when I've cut off the bare ends, so they won't be near anything else and will not touch anything conductive, so I won't have to stuff them back into the loft.

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top