Join for free
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-09-2020, 03:47 PM

2 stroke petrol engine common problem solved

THis is the seond time I have had to do this fix in 6 years with this particular machine.

Petrol leaf blower petrol 25.4cc two stroke price on Amazon £120

I suspect it could happen with all 2 stroke petrol motors

First signs are the machine gets harder to start needing several pulls on the starter rope. Second stage is when hot it gets impossible to start and you start thinking scrap it.

However there is a solution which requires a minor strip down to get to the fuel lines which are a type of plastic. These tend to get "hot spots" causing the colour to go brown as below and prevent the correct amount of fuel into the engine

top one about to cause a problem and the lower one collapsed

Below these hotspots can occur anywhere in the fuel line
first lot to "burn out" and these were the originals

luckily one can get replacements (fleabay) but be careful of getting the right size bore. I bought a set of four different sizes as they use two different ones in the machine. While stripped down best to replace both to save having to do it again.
Also worth washing out the little filter that sits on the end of the fuel line in the petrol tank. I washed out with a little petrol in a plastic tub, and surpised how clogged up it was

being a tight fit a little trick is to put the ends into hot water to soften them and they expand enough to slip over the connecting metal machine ends and then they do a kind of shrink wrap to really make a very tight fit
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-09-2020, 02:39 PM

Re: 2 stroke petrol engine common problem solved

Update
I had cut the pipes a bit too long by about 1/4 inch so cut them back to original length. At the same time I was concerned that one of the plastic tubes would not be at the bottom of the fuel tank as there was no weight on the end. After a couple of thoughts an easy solution, cable tie it to the plastic tube with the metal filter , job done.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top