Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 01:12 PM

Re: Rocking Bathroom Toilet

Originally Posted by Barry ->
You will have to bear in mind that if you change the level at which the pan sits then you may also have to adjust the pipework to suit. Hopefully you have flexible pipe connections but if it's an older installation then probably not...
Yep. TBH Ted, it's probable easier if you sell up and buy a new house
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Wow!

What great advice, everybody!

I've gone from very apprehensive to, maybe, a bit overconfident, reading these tips.

Can't wait to give it a go, probably within the week!

Thanks All!

Post some piccies if you can of things that turn up during the project.
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2020, 03:52 PM

I would suggest if this is to be a DIY job you should firstly consider how long you can cope with no toilet. Best laid plans and all that. Things can and often do go badly wrong and DIYers finish up calling a professional. Best of luck anyway Tedc
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
I would suggest if this is to be a DIY job you should firstly consider how long you can cope with no toilet. Best laid plans and all that. Things can and often do go badly wrong and DIYers finish up calling a professional. Best of luck anyway Tedc
Thanks, EZ, luckily there are 3 toilets here!

(not bragging, well, just a bit!)
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
It's usually wiser to lay the floor surface and standing the pan and sink pedestal on top. This can create problems though if the floor isn't solid enough since tiles can crack.

Without seeing it, it's hard to be sure about the state of your floor and whether this can be repaired enough without the need for a replacement section - the main priority seems to be to make the screw points sound.

How much play there is in terms of the feed and soil pipes may also have a bearing on the way forward - raising the pan around 10mm so it sits on top of tiles might not be quite so simple as one might hope.

If you have the ability, then it's worth removing the pan as a first line of enquiry.
Yes, the toilet is now out and the board underneath is very mushy - beyond repair.

Looks like I'll have to dig out the mush and put some new wood in there. Bit worried about where the beams are as the shower tray is fixed about a foot to the left of the toilet base,
and may be on one of the beams I need to use.

The gap from the old floor to the centre of the water feed pipe is 15 inches. If I put tiles under I might have a problem, as you suggest because I'd need to lose half an inch. There might be an extension available, to buy, somewhere. This is the pipe which comes down from the cistern. Very hard to get to as the cistern and fittings are behind a tiled wall!

(note: The hidden cistern is a plastic one and I might be able to cheat the half inch by moving the cistern?)

I'm drying it all out now and will start again later today, or tomorrow. Fixing the wall tiles next. Then will have a look under the mush!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2020, 11:42 AM

Thanks, EZ, luckily there are 3 toilets here!

(not bragging, well, just a bit!)
..and I thought I was posh because I had 3 sheds.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

07-07-2020, 11:49 AM

Yes, the toilet is now out and the board underneath is very mushy - beyond repair.

Looks like I'll have to dig out the mush and put some new wood in there. Bit worried about where the beams are as the shower tray is fixed about a foot to the left of the toilet base.
and may be on one of the beams I need to use.

The gap from the old floor to the centre of the water feed pipe is 15 inches. If I put tiles under I might have a problem, as you suggest because I'd need to win half an inch. There might be an extension available, to buy, somewhere.

I'm drying it all out now and will start again later today, or tomorrow.
Opening a hole in the exposed floor, smaller than the footprint of the pan, and allowing time for any water to dry out under the floorspace would seem sensible. As you say, you have a couple of other toilets, so leaving this open for a few days won't be a great hardship.

Difficult to know how to create a new support bit of timber without seeing it. If most of the timber is sound, then screwing battens to the underside of where the screwholes (screwing through the floor while you somehow hold the battens underneath) might be fiddly, but possible. Remember, the main task is to have something solid for the pan screws to fix into.

The hole you've creates in the floor can be filled in easily enough., and and of the rotten bits of timber can be filled with anything - cheap wood filler, mortar etc.

If you ever get round to a complete refurb of the bathroom, then that'll be the time to lift the whole floor, strengthen any water damage joists and replacing the floor.

At present, you're just looking at making it sound and presentable, and being able to keep the pan solid so that you can silicon around the base of it to limit any further water ingress.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

07-07-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by mart ->
..and I thought I was posh because I had 3 sheds.
Each with its own commode?
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

07-07-2020, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
Opening a hole in the exposed floor, smaller than the footprint of the pan, and allowing time for any water to dry out under the floorspace would seem sensible. As you say, you have a couple of other toilets, so leaving this open for a few days won't be a great hardship.

Difficult to know how to create a new support bit of timber without seeing it. If most of the timber is sound, then screwing battens to the underside of where the screwholes (screwing through the floor while you somehow hold the battens underneath) might be fiddly, but possible. Remember, the main task is to have something solid for the pan screws to fix into.

The hole you've creates in the floor can be filled in easily enough., and and of the rotten bits of timber can be filled with anything - cheap wood filler, mortar etc.

If you ever get round to a complete refurb of the bathroom, then that'll be the time to lift the whole floor, strengthen any water damage joists and replacing the floor.

At present, you're just looking at making it sound and presentable, and being able to keep the pan solid so that you can silicon around the base of it to limit any further water ingress.
Good thinking, again, will follow your guidance ASAP.

Forums are GOOD!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

07-07-2020, 01:13 PM

There might be an extension available, to buy, somewhere. This is the pipe which comes down from the cistern. Very hard to get to as the cistern and fittings are behind a tiled wall!

(note: The hidden cistern is a plastic one and I might be able to cheat the half inch by moving the cistern?)
The L shaped downpipe from the cistern to the top of the pan will probably have some play in it as it'll go into the cistern for a good couple of inches. If you're raising the pan, you might have to trim it a bit. Either way, you won't have to move the cistern, which is good since it means you won't have to worry about the mains water supply feeding it.

The large pipe at the bottom of the pan to remove the waste into the soil pipe might need replacing - and there are offsets available for around £5. If they've used a flexipipe, then this might not be necessary.

If you are looking at raising the pan, then this might be useful since you can use a thin bit of plywood, to which you can affix thicker battens on the underside for additional screwing. Then it's a case of chopping out bits of existing floorboard to accommodate these battens and fixing the new footprint board using glue (to help level it and make sure it doesn't wobble) and screws.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top