Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 03:06 AM

Re: Know it all neighbour ? not

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Building a side flank extn rear of attached garage was hard enough, the trench for wall support had to be a metre deep and 6 inches wider than the wall, that was the ruling back then. I used 9x9x18" blocks for the wall
Ever tried digging out about 30ft of heavy yellow london clay that wide and deep by hand? it is a killer of a job let alone getting rid of it through a garage into a large skip
Why on earth would you do that by hand? Hire a mini skid steer excavator (Bobcat) they're as cheap as chips - get the job done in less than half a day.

If you are worried about driving one (they are dead easy) there are plenty of blokes with them who would hire themselves out for half a days work.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We all have our own way of doing things, so what?

I would never criticise a neighbour for the way they have done something, it's their house and they have done their best, we aren't all perfect after all.
I agree with you, after all the neighbour doesn't know what expertise his neighbour has either.

40 years ago I built a cover for my patio in my ignorance I built it out of Oregan which is a wood not suitable for outside but I didn't know that at time. It is still there but if I knew then what I know now I would have probably used treated pine.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Why on earth would you do that by hand? Hire a mini skid steer excavator (Bobcat) they're as cheap as chips - get the job done in less than half a day.

If you are worried about driving one (they are dead easy) there are plenty of blokes with them who would hire themselves out for half a days work.
and pray tell me how you get that throuh a garage with a personal door at one end? good trick if you could do it
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 09:15 AM

and pray tell me how you get that throuh a garage with a personal door at one end? good trick if you could do it
Modern micro excavators retract their tracks for them to go through personnel doors..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-07-2020, 09:17 AM

Who in their right mind has no vehicular access to the rear garden? put a roller door in the back of the garage.

You might have an excuse if you lived in a Victorian terrace but we all know your house because you are constantly telling us how much it is worth.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 09:31 AM

Ah Bruce you have been out of the uk so long .
Many people in the uk live in tiny houses with little of no access to the back gardens - if they have a back garden at all.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

19-07-2020, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Ah Bruce you have been out of the uk so long .
Many people in the uk live in tiny houses with little of no access to the back gardens - if they have a back garden at all.
That might be the true but as we know from his many posts on the subject this is not the case with Realspeed
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 09:57 AM

Bruce this was our 2nd 3 bed semi detached house way back in the mid 70's not the present one. As for roller shutter forget it as it had to be a fire check door and frame.I also said Yellow London clay, I am now in East Sussex. me thinks your not paying attention.

I can see a troll imerging on this thread, so I will leave the subject now
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Who in their right mind has no vehicular access to the rear garden? put a roller door in the back of the garage.

You might have an excuse if you lived in a Victorian terrace but we all know your house because you are constantly telling us how much it is worth.
Vlad
West Midlands UK
Vlad is male  Vlad has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-07-2020, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by longdogs ->
and i certainly wouldn't 'piss myself laughing' at their misfortune.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top