Join for free
Page 5 of 33 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 08:56 PM

Re: Seen A Scam? Warn us if you have!

Had a call this morning..02081619840.... which is a scam about loft insulation, and a supposed government grant. Give him short shrift and blocked the number, also reported it to The Scam Numbers Website.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
Had a call this morning..02081619840.... which is a scam about loft insulation, and a supposed government grant. Give him short shrift and blocked the number, also reported it to The Scam Numbers Website.
A 'Blagging with the Lagging' John.....
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by John ->
I've never heard of the Scam Numbers Website, but if it turns out to be as effective as the Telephone Preference Service, I shouldn't waste my time.

My philosophy is to never trust anyone until you are sure beyond all doubt.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I've never heard of the Scam Numbers Website, but if it turns out to be as effective as the Telephone Preference Service, I shouldn't waste my time.

My philosophy is to never trust anyone until you are sure beyond all doubt.
Quite true JB....
Email and telephone are not methods that I would trust for anyone important to contact me, so I never take them seriously......
John
Eastleigh Hampshire
John is male  John has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2020, 11:33 PM

As far as I know gents, it's kosher.

https://scam-numbers.co.uk/
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 12:09 PM

Here is part of another scam notification I received from the police today.
Apparently these fraudsters are specifically targeting us oldies :

What is Courier Fraud?

Courier fraud occurs when a fraudster contacts victims by telephone purporting to be a police officer or bank official. To substantiate this claim, the caller might be able to confirm some easily obtainable basic details about the victim such as their full name and address.

The caller may also offer a telephone number for the victim to telephone or ask the victim to call the number on the back of their bank card to check that they are genuine. In these circumstances, either the number offered will not be genuine or, where a genuine number is suggested, the fraudster will stay on the line and pass the victim to a different individual.

After some trust has been established, the fraudster will then, for example, suggest;

Some money has been removed from a victim’s bank account and staff at their local bank branch are responsible.
Suspects have already been arrested but the “police” need money for evidence.
A business such as a jewellers or currency exchange is operating fraudulently and they require assistance to help secure evidence.

Victims are then asked to co-operate in an investigation by attending their bank and withdrawing money, withdrawing foreign currency from an exchange or purchasing an expensive item to hand over to a courier for examination who will also be a fraudster.

At the time of handover, unsuspecting victims are promised the money they’ve handed over or spent will be reimbursed but in reality there is no further contact and the money is never seen again.

Protect yourself

Your bank or the at your bank. If it’s cancelled, you should destroy it yourself.

Spot the signs

Someone claiming to be from your bank or local police force calls you to tell you about fraudulent activity but is asking you for personal information or even your PIN to verify who you are.
They’re offering you to call back so you can be sure they’re genuine, but when you try to return the call there’s no dial tone.
They try to offer you peace of mind by having somebody pick up the card for you to save you the trouble of having to go to your bank or local police station.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 12:24 PM

We received a scam email a couple of days ago supposedly from TV Licensing about renewing our licence. A few spelling mistakes and incorrect licence number made me suspicious. Phoned TV Licensing and they confirmed the spam.

Date: 01 Sep 2020

Dear ******,

You're about to lose your TV License.
Act now, before it's to late.

Tomorrow is your last chance to remain licensed.

You won't be covered if you let your licence expire.

Your TV Licence details:

Licence number: 3737783908063171

Licence expiry date: 02 Sep 2020

You can view, download or print your licence on our website. Please keep a record of your licence number, as you'll need this whenever you log in.
Set up your direct debit

Want to make changes?
Sign in below to:
• Update your contact or bank details
• Tell us you've moved hom
Sign in
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-09-2020, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
We received a scam email a couple of days ago supposedly from TV Licensing about renewing our licence. A few spelling mistakes and incorrect licence number made me suspicious. Phoned TV Licensing and they confirmed the spam.
Yes, spelling mistakes are a dead giveaway.
Fortunately, most scammers are (like reusable condoms) 'a little thick'!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-09-2020, 10:48 PM

Another dodgy phone number.

They called tea time today. When I looked the number up, it was marked as 'Dangerous.'
96 other people had reported it too.

Here's the number to be aware of:

0191 318 5639
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-09-2020, 06:43 PM

Had a call from 01651205363 today (I did not answer).

"Who Rang Me" web page says the code 01651 is Old Meldrum, in Scotland, and shows about 100 or so phone numbers at that location.

This is what the Old Meldrum Web Site says -

"https://who-called.co.uk/Area-Code/01651
Cloned telephone number using an Oldmeldrum area code - unsolicited call from what appeared to be from a call centre in the Indian sub-continent - I doubt that anyone from Oldmeldrum would have a accent like that and anyone who knows Oldmeldrum would think it an unlikely location for a financial call centre. 19/08/2019: Apparently Virgin media, threatening internet disconnection because of.................."

Watch out folks!.

Page 5 of 33 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top