Join for free
Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 11:19 AM

Re: Shiny new trade deal with USA?

So as Cummings leaves and Trump is almost conceding. Here is my take.

Bozo simply has to respect the GFA or goodbye USA deal. Biden is clear.
There is no sensible or technological solution to the GFA conundrum or we would have heard it by now. Take back control of our borders and GFA cannot be reconciled.
Some extreme Brexiteers always wanted a no deal to push us into a closer political alliance with USA under Trump. That ship has sailed. Actually it has blown up.
Bojo now has to try and save face for Cumming’s “Get Brexit done” mantle

BINO fudge here we come.

Selfishly from my side No Deal would be perfect. Scotland having been lied to by all Westminster politicians would rise up against all of Westminster and be truly independent but it ain’t gonna happen just yet. We do have long memories though.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 11:26 AM

Hi

Losing a deal with the USA is peanuts.

What is more important is our Sovreignty.

We make our own decisions.
I do not want to swap Brussels for Washington.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Losing a deal with the USA is peanuts.

What is more important is our Sovreignty.

We make our own decisions.
I do not want to swap Brussels for Washington.
Doesn't sound like it ....
Reality1
Scotland
Reality1 is male  Reality1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 11:47 AM

Well maybe not for you. Maybe you can see Scotland’s point of view?
The trouble is for England it cannot even feed itself. It needs access to big markets. EU and USA down. Where next?
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Reality1 ->
The trouble is for England it cannot even feed itself. It needs access to big markets. EU and USA down. Where next?
Scotland voted "NO"

England can feed itself. Stop making stuff up.

We still have access to EU and USA markets and we are a WTO member. There are no sanctions on UK trade with any country in the world - learn how trade works.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 12:58 PM

As if somehow Scotland can become self-sufficient with food you mean?
That is ridiculous even for a devout ScotsNat.
You'll never catch the number of wild haggis it would take to feed 6-million-odd Scots.

The UK though once free of the EU and their protectionism can buy from where we want.
Which includes both the USA and the EU, if they can compete.
Rember that we already trade more with the USA than an single country - without any trade deal.
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom

14-11-2020, 01:27 PM

So as Cummings leaves and Trump is almost conceding. Here is my take.

Bozo simply has to respect the GFA or goodbye USA deal. Biden is clear.
There is no sensible or technological solution to the GFA conundrum or we would have heard it by now. Take back control of our borders and GFA cannot be reconciled.
Some extreme Brexiteers always wanted a no deal to push us into a closer political alliance with USA under Trump. That ship has sailed. Actually it has blown up.
Bojo now has to try and save face for Cumming’s “Get Brexit done” mantle

BINO fudge here we come.

Selfishly from my side No Deal would be perfect. Scotland having been lied to by all Westminster politicians would rise up against all of Westminster and be truly independent but it ain’t gonna happen just yet. We do have long memories though.
What on earth has Brexit got to do with the GFA ?

The only person lying to you is the ginger dwarf.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 05:13 PM

I agree. Feeding 60million people does mean we (in England) have to import food because we can't grow enough fruit, grain, potatoes, etc to supplement our diets but we can raise enough beef, lambs, goats, chickens, eggs, even sea fish to provide the protein we need. However, as Zaphod said, there is NOTHING at all to stop us buying whatever foods we need to buy on the WORLD market, at true, unprotected (tariff free), market prices come January 1st 2021. We don't even have to buy Scottish farmed salmon for that matter.

Listen up, Reality 1, WE DO NOT HAVE TO BUY ANYTHING FROM THE EU or THE USA, and v.v. The global market will be our shopping centre/supermarket/car showroom/whatever.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 05:46 PM

Hi

I have a different point of view.

I buy very little, so not bothered about imports.

The most exotic things I have bought recently have been Dutch Cucumber and Tomatoe and Olives and satsumas.

Hardly life changing.

I am far more concerned about our exports, loads of manufacturing here and lots of agriculture.

We export the bits of animals we do not eat, about a third of every pig for example and loads f chicken feet and livers.

The vast majority of the food I buy, which I do not produce myself is local

Local means within 30 miles.

I do like avocados and olives, but these are definately not from Shropshire.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I have a different point of view.

I buy very little, so not bothered about imports.

The most exotic things I have bought recently have been Dutch Cucumber and Tomatoe and Olives and satsumas.

Hardly life changing.

I am far more concerned about our exports, loads of manufacturing here and lots of agriculture.

We export the bits of animals we do not eat, about a third of every pig for example and loads f chicken feet and livers.

The vast majority of the food I buy, which I do not produce myself is local

Local means within 30 miles.

I do like avocados and olives, but these are definately not from Shropshire.
If you are indeed so concerned about our exports you should consider two important factors:
1 The amount we export to the rest of the world (i.e. beyond the EU) has been increasing for years. We export more beyond the EU than into it. PLUS one of the reasons we do not export more beyond the EU is that - as a member - our exports are bound by restrictive EU rules and tariffs.
2 43% of UK exports are services which do not attract tariffs.

FYI those chicken feet & livers that go to the EU will still go if the EU wants us to buy their chicken breasts.
The same with pork; will Danes and the Dutch still want us to buy their bacon and pork?
It's a two way street.
But the side coming from the EU has three lanes whereas the side going in to the EU has only one lane.

Page 5 of 7 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top