Join for free
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 10:13 PM

how do I get rid of smell

Hi all

My pooch is an old boy now and he has a condition called cushings disease and one of the things that comes with it is sometimes he has an accident in the house as he can't always control his bladder. It's much better now he's on treatment but at the beginning he was pickling all over my stair carpet. I scrubbed my stair carpet but it still stinks so I ended up taking the carpet up. It had gone through to the wooden stairs and try as I might I can't get rid of the smell of dog pee and it's driving us mad.

I looked on the net and found a solution of white vinegar and soda was mentioned a few times so I've tried it and everything else and still the wooden stairs at the bottom stinks.

I'm glad no one can come visit, I'd be embarrassed that they could smell it. Weird thing is it doesn't smell all the time, it just seems now and then it releases an odour when I'm walking down the stairs.

I want to get a new carpet but I can't until I can get rid of the smell from the staircase.

Any ideas or tips please? I'm a bit embarrassed at telling people my house is smelly at the moment but I need help
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 10:25 PM

Re: how do I get rid of smell

we used to usev a product called odogene but it looks as if it is no longer available or been taken over now under a different name

This link might help

https://www.google.com/search?q=trig...893GB893&hl=en
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 10:34 PM

Queenie, there are two things I can think of that might do the trick.

The first one you have to dilute if you buy the bigger containers, or I believe you can buy it ready to use in a smaller pray bottle.
I have used it on and off for years, and find it quite good and not an unpleasant smell either.
You can use it for all sorts of other odours both inside and out too.
This is it, it is called Odor-Kill.

https://animal-health.co.uk/product/odor-kill

The second thing is a product by Pets at Home called 'Stain & Odour remover.'

I can't give you a link because their website has been playing up all day, and still is!

Personally, I would try the first one, the Odor-kill first, and scrub the wood again with some of this in the water. Let it dry completely, see how it smells then, and if necessary give it a quick spray too.

Whatever you choose, make sure it's a product that's safe to use around animals as you don't want to give the dear old soul any further problems!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-11-2020, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
we used to usev a product called odogene but it looks as if it is no longer available or been taken over now under a different name

This link might help

https://www.google.com/search?q=trig...893GB893&hl=en
Thanks speedy
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 10:30 AM

Zoflora worked for me when my cat had an 'accident'
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 11:34 AM

Morning LQ, having two pups come into the home together, believe me, there were quite a few ''accidents'' along the way.
I always swore by a mixture of baking soda and white vinegar spray to get rid of any stains and especially odours. Believe me, my mob would have been the first to tell me if there were any smells from them. (especially the non-pet members.)
Nowadays I use a Pets at Home bottle of Stain and Odour Remover, it cost £4.50 at the time, always handy just in case. Good luck.
Tachyon
Internet Citizen :)
Tachyon is male  Tachyon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-11-2020, 06:11 PM

A peg on your nose should do it.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top