Join for free
Page 13 of 19 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 12:47 PM

Re: Wonderful News! (Vaccination trials successful)

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
OGF do you know that this year has had a really big flu vaccine uptake? Getting flu and covid together is no fun.
So rather than have either vaccine I will only go out wearing a mask, and when I have to, keep out of other people's way, and look after myself. I've never had a flu jab, and I can't remember the last time I had flu, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing because it's worked so far.....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Wild exaggeration? So are some of the tales on the internet.
Ah Mupsy? But do you know which is which?
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
So rather than have either vaccine I will only go out wearing a mask, and when I have to, keep out of other people's way, and look after myself. I've never had a flu jab, and I can't remember the last time I had flu, so I'll keep doing what I'm doing because it's worked so far.....
I've only had flu twice in my life and until you have had it yourself you cannot imagine what it is like.

I couldn't move out of my bed for almost two weeks, couldn't even stand as I was so weak. I felt worse then than when I had pneumonia. After three weeks Mr Mags suggested I try to sit out in the garden on a lovely sunny day to get some fresh air. My head was spinning all the time, I thought I'd try to walk a few steps around the garden but when I stood up I immediately collapsed on the ground. He had to get me back indoors.
It was 4 or 5 weeks later that I began to feel better.

Don't write off flu lightly, there is no comparison between flu and a heavy cold. I've been having the flu jabs every year for almost 30 years, never had a problem with them and they have protected me.

This isn't a 'sob' account of my case, I just wanted those who refuse the jab to realise how debilitating real influenza can be.

Here endeth the lesson!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 01:12 PM

You do realise thalidomide was not a vaccination? Although it was banned it has since found to be a valuable treatment for certain cancers.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
I've only had flu twice in my life and until you have had it yourself you cannot imagine what it is like.

I couldn't move out of my bed for almost two weeks, couldn't even stand as I was so weak. I felt worse then than when I had pneumonia. After three weeks Mr Mags suggested I try to sit out in the garden on a lovely sunny day to get some fresh air. My head was spinning all the time, I thought I'd try to walk a few steps around the garden but when I stood up I immediately collapsed on the ground. He had to get me back indoors.

Don't write off flu lightly, there is no comparison between flu and a heavy cold. I've been having the flu jabs every year for almost 30 years, never had a problem with them and they have protected me.

This isn't a 'sob' account of my case, I just wanted those who refuse the jab to realise how debilitating real influenza can be.

Here endeth the lesson!
I had the same experience 8 years ago Mags. Prior to that I used to refuse the vaccine but since I would do anything possible to avoid a repeat of the awful pain and suffering including a hospital visit for dehydration and then weeks of debilitating symptoms. I can see how easy it can be to die from it if you are older and with underlying conditions.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-11-2020, 01:35 PM

I had the same experience 8 years ago Mags. Prior to that I used to refuse the vaccine but since I would do anything possible to avoid a repeat of the awful pain and suffering including a hospital visit for dehydration and then weeks of debilitating symptoms. I can see how easy it can be to die from it if you are older and with underlying conditions.
It's good to know you pulled through it, Annie .... I didn't have to go to hospital myself but thinking back, maybe I should have asked for help after the first diagnosis.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-11-2020, 01:41 PM

It's good to know you pulled through it, Annie .... I didn't have to go to hospital myself but thinking back, maybe I should have asked for help after the first diagnosis.
I think Ribena saved my life Mags! According to the doctors I saw drinking plain water apparently isn't as good (or as yummy)
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-11-2020, 09:28 PM

Here endeth the lesson!
Sorry Mags, I might have been a little economical with the truth......
You might even have remembered some time ago when I explained that I have in fact had the flu twice like you......

Back in 1972 I had just started a new job, and as we entered the winter months the company had paid (I think you had to pay for the flu jab in those days) to have the whole workforce vaccinated against flu. Being a tight fisted Yorkshireman, I wasn't going to turn down anything that's free...

A week later I developed a serious case of flu....Although it lasted for two weeks, I was fortunate in that I didn't suffer any after effects, probably due to my age and fitness......
The second time was during the new year celebrations in 1995. We traveled to Llandudno, but Mrs Fox came down with it on the eve of new year and was unable to stand or even leave her bed to attend the party. I stayed with her, and dressed in my best suit I spent my time watching the fireworks out of the hotel room window.....

I remained free from the flu for the next twelve hours, so next morning I went for a 13 mile run.
That was my downfall, as the day progressed so did my lethargy and muscle weakness. I only just managed to drive home and was bedridden for the next 14 days.....So I am well aware of the seriousness of the flu Mags, and I will always try to avoid a future bout. But I will not have the vaccination....Incidentally, Mrs Fox goes for her jab next Wednesday....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

23-11-2020, 09:43 PM

Why does Mrs Fox have the jab?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

23-11-2020, 10:02 PM

Why does Mrs Fox have the jab?
So she doesn't catch the flu Annie.....

Page 13 of 19 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top