Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:02 AM

People's opinion on tuition fees

Seems the majority of the population support Jeremy's policy of eliminating tuition fees, so pressure is rising on the scumbag 'nasty party' to follow suit and reduce or cancel tuition fees. I wonder if, to maintain their seats they will actually do so???

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7890296.html
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:17 AM

Re: People's opinion on tuition fees

We had free education Ive never supported paying for it.

But if it is free it needs to be restricted to the brightest and the best, not a free for all like now.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:19 AM

Tution fees and the salaries of the principals of universities are outrageous .
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:28 AM

I think it should be means tested, wealthy people can afford to pay for private tuition to get kids through their exams so they're not always the brightest. Some of these take places and either drop out or use it as some kind of hobby, never intending to use it as a means to employment.
I don't think the less well off take on a degree course unless they're seriously trying to better themselves.
If those who drop out were charged for the courses they wouldn't perhaps start them.
I also think that big employers should sponser students in the subjects needed to fill jobs in their industries with a contract so the students could pay back with their knowledge for so many years.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 08:53 AM

Hi

I am all in favour of giving free tuition in areas where we have skills shortages and as Tess says, to work for a few years for the sponsor.

If you want to do a degree in anything else, you pay for it.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:01 AM

Education to 18 should be free but after that you should choose to make the investment in your future or not at your own expense. I think if you pay for your further education then you will work harder to meet your goals. I was an apprentice and accepted low pay for many years to attain my qualifications, and after which I paid for a correspondence course to attain even higher qualifications.

Making an investment in your own future helps to focus the mind and thereby make the most of it. If it is given for free there is no reason not to abuse the opportunity, and it very often is with many, many studends either dropping out or failing to achieve anything at uni of any value. Why should the taxpayer fund that?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I think it should be means tested, wealthy people can afford to pay for private tuition to get kids through their exams so they're not always the brightest.
That was always the case in the past when university education was "free." Parents who could afford it were expected to contribute to their child's university education. Luckily for me, my parents earned much too little to contribute, so I got the full grant. I'd be very happy to return to the system we had in the 60's and 70's as long as we got rid of the nonsensical idea (promoted by the despicable Blair) that 50% of children should go to university. All this has done is speeded up the dumbing down of the education system in general and universities in particular. Today's degrees are barely at the level of a 70's "A" level as I learned to my frustration when mentoring degree students in my former role as Training Officer for a local authority Youth Service.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Seems the majority of the population support Jeremy's policy of eliminating tuition fees, so pressure is rising on the scumbag 'nasty party' to follow suit and reduce or cancel tuition fees. I wonder if, to maintain their seats they will actually do so???

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7890296.html
The labour party were never serious about it seeing as it was never costed.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Seems the majority of the population support Jeremy's policy of eliminating tuition fees
Yeah except scrapping tuition fees isn't the sole purview of the duplicitous Corbyn is it?! Lot's of people before him have suggested they should be scrapped but we know how Jezzer loves a band wagon don't we ! Grenfell Tower anyone?!

so pressure is rising on the scumbag 'nasty party' to follow suit and reduce or cancel tuition fees. I wonder if, to maintain their seats they will actually do so???
LMAO !!

You say it like they would do it just for political points and yet here is the reprehensible Corbyn purposely pandering to the naive and inexperienced young electorate promising the moon on a stick just so long as they vote for him. You can't get more shallow.

Lest we forget, these tuition fees were put in place by a Labour Government. One more disastrous bit of legacy from BLiar/Brown who ruined our economy.

Not just tuition fees but also the Teaching and Higher Education Act (1998) which introduced means testing of family income in order to determine how much money students could get in the form of Maintenance Loans (which are the bigger issue for students rather than tuition fees).

How many years will the country be unpicking, unravelling and repairing the damage done by BLiar and Brown?

Never again !

Looney Labour . . . Unfit to govern
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-08-2017, 09:43 AM

Girl I know went to college and uni till well into her twenties , got a full grant , and never has worked . Lived off her grant then went onto benefits then married . She has never used the skills she aquired in univerity .

I all honestly I think she enjoyed the easy ride . Had she had to fund herself I doubt she would have been there .

Non the less I think students should have to pay back their loans . My daughter did

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top