Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 12:24 AM

Attorney-General gets Standing Ovation

Goeorge Brandis, Government leader in the Senate and Australian Attorney General, received a standing ovation from the opposition benches.

That appalling woman Pauline Hanson appeared in the Senate Chamber dressed in a burka.

She asked the Attorney-General when he would be banning the burka for security reasons.

He replied that he would not and went on to slap down this dangerous woman in a rather splendid way which led the opposition to stand up and applaud him.

"Attorney-General George Brandis' thundering condemnation of Pauline Hanson's burqa stunt in the Senate on Thursday afternoon was not just a moment of fine moral and political clarity, it was also bloody common sense.

Senator Brandis said Australia's half-million Muslims – the "vast majority of [whom] are good, law-abiding Australians" – are vital to intelligence and law enforcement agencies.

"And to ridicule that community, to drive it into a corner, to mock its religious garments, is an appalling thing to do and I would ask you to reflect on what you have done."

Senator Brandis was so angry his voice was actually wobbling with emotion."

Full version:

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 07:27 AM

Re: Attorney-General gets Standing Ovation

What religious garment ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 08:33 AM

I was tempted to post that yesterday Bruce as it was such a huge win for tolerance I thought, but my record with positive stories like this isn't good they tend to get highjacked by the haters.

Great day for your country I thought he really did you proud.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 08:50 AM

Quite , yesterday wasn't such a good day for posting tolerance for Burqas was it ?

The intolerance it represents ( and it's not a religious garment ) having just murdered and injured so many innocent people in Spain .

Yes certainly the 'haters' had their day yesterday .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2017, 09:03 AM

The man is a prat.

Not only has he elevated a garment that subjugates woman to the status of a religious garment but he has kowtowed to the worst aspects of a radical minority .

Listen to these feeble mealy mouthed words ...

“I would caution and counsel you with respect to be very, very careful of the offence you may do to the religious sensibilities of other Australians.”

In other words don't offend them or they might attack us .

Pauline Hansen appalling woman as she's might be made her point with devastating effectiveness.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:21 AM

They both have a point but I don't agree with his use of the phrase "religious garment".

If she'd really wanted to make a point it would've been more fun if she'd thrown back the face covering to reveal someone entirely different, preferably a man.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 09:27 AM

Considering that was off the cuff he had no time to prepare I think he did well to respond as he did even using the words he did. Give him a break I think he was so taken back there was no way he could think quicker.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2017, 09:34 AM

He's the Attorney General he's doesn't need a break and he darn well should have the words.
Had it been a female ( Muslim ) MP it would have been all alright then ?
It's only wrong if Pauline Hansen wears it?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 10:10 AM

That's what am meant Muddy... it would've been far more to the point if a man had worn it, showing up the security angle of this ridiculous garb.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2017, 10:11 AM

It was noticed that members of his own party did NOT clap or stand .
They after all supposed to be liberals .
How can liberals support something which symbolizes everything that liberals are against ?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top