Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 12:54 PM

Re: Attorney-General gets Standing Ovation

The man could have turned it to his advantage .
Could have said nice frock Pauline ( or would that have been considered 'mockery ' too?
So what ?
Let this rediculous item of male domination be mocked until everyone who wears and supports it is laughed off the planet .

its all about freedom of expression she can wear what she likes .
Anyone has the right to be offended by Hanson, just as she the right to be offended by others.
George Brandis was completely wrong to say that religious sensitivities take precedence over freedom of expression.
Its against everything that democratic society is about.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Wearing anyone else's clothes that you wouldn't usually wear is either fancy dress or making fun. Parliament isn't usually done in fancy dress so only one other option.
I once went to a fancy dress party dressed as a black 70's soul singer. Black make up, platforms, bright blue shiny suit, afro wig and a medallion. There were several black people there including a couple of friends. No one took offence, they just saw it as a bit of fun. There was another guy dressed as a giant duck. There was also a vicar, but I didn't see anyone offended.

All good fun without the over-sensitivities.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I once went to a fancy dress party dressed as a black 70's soul singer. Black make up, platforms, bright blue shiny suit, afro wig and a medallion. There were several black people there including a couple of friends. No one took offence, they just saw it as a bit of fun. There was another guy dressed as a giant duck. There was also a vicar, but I didn't see anyone offended.

All good fun without the over-sensitivities.
Different times ld, and not acceptable now. I do wonder though if people just didn't say they were offended, listening to black people talking more recently it seems they were offended but had no way of making that known. Looking back that is such a shame because people didn't mean to offend anyone and certainly no one would like to think their friends were secretly upset but suffering in silence.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
They both have a point but I don't agree with his use of the phrase "religious garment".

If she'd really wanted to make a point it would've been more fun if she'd thrown back the face covering to reveal someone entirely different, preferably a man.
That would have made a very valid point, wouldn't it? Burkas in banks, yes; crash helmets in banks, no.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 03:25 PM

I cant believe how easily fundamentalist Islam has managed to hoodwink naive, gullible, liberal western secular society .
Secular societies based on Judo Christian principles such as ours, not only tolerate but celebrate multicultural diversity.
But this has been exploited by reactionary fundamentalist Islam.
They do so at the expense of the moderate Muslim woman.
Most Muslim women do not wear the burqa or niqab and it is not anything to do with the Islamic religion
Fundamentalist Muslims place no value on the status of their women hence the burqas which effectively makes them invisible.
Yet the West has allowed this as supposed 'freedom of expression .'
The irony of this is that woman who are wearing the burqa have no expression whatsoever.
They are erased from society as imprisoned in that shroud just as if they were already dead.
That ANY woman could in any way condone the use of this abuse of woman is beyond my comprehension.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by muddy ->
i cant believe how easily fundamentalist islam has managed to hoodwink naive, gullible, liberal western secular society .
Secular societies based on judo christian principles such as ours, not only tolerate but celebrate multicultural diversity.
But this has been exploited by reactionary fundamentalist islam.
They do so at the expense of the moderate muslim woman.
Most muslim women do not wear the burqa or niqab and it is not anything to do with the islamic religion
fundamentalist muslims place no value on the status of their women hence the burqas which effectively makes them invisible.
Yet the west has allowed this as supposed 'freedom of expression .'
the irony of this is that woman who are wearing the burqa have no expression whatsoever.
They are erased from society as imprisoned in that shroud just as if they were already dead.
that any woman could in any way condone the use of this abuse of woman is beyond my comprehension.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That ANY woman could in any way condone the use of this abuse of woman is beyond my comprehension.
I do agree.
And yet there are those who claim it's the woman's choice, it's her freedom to dress how she likes etc. etc.

I might be more inclined to accept that if one of these women actually threw the damn thing off her face and said to the camera, "This is MY choice, not the man standing next to me, and I love dressing this way so back off!".

Even then I'd probably say, "yeah, right"
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-08-2017, 06:15 PM

Pauline Hansen speaks re burqa incident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IlBs_PZjY8
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 06:24 PM

Good for her
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-08-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
I do agree.
And yet there are those who claim it's the woman's choice, it's her freedom to dress how she likes etc. etc.

I might be more inclined to accept that if one of these women actually threw the damn thing off her face and said to the camera, "This is MY choice, not the man standing next to me, and I love dressing this way so back off!".

Even then I'd probably say, "yeah, right"
I don't think the burkha is a case of a woman dressing as she likes because it was a famous symbol of taliban oppression of women in Afghanistan. I'm open minded about most forms of dress but not something that covers the face completely. Being unable to see someone's face is frightening, particularly for children. It's religious to dress modestly and cover the hair and back of the neck. But the face is a cultural issue.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top