Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 09:00 AM

Back to the Future with Trump.

I found this a bit scary:

The president was the unexpected nominee of a deeply divided Republican Party, and managed to tap into something deep and disturbing in the public mood.

America was changing fast, and white men in particular didn't like it. Crime was rampant, women and minorities were increasing their economic and political strength, morals and standards were being challenged, and mass migration was changing the face of the nation.

The president was elected boldly promising to put "America first".

He soon slashed immigration and signed racist laws. Anti-Semitism and anti-black sentiment grew, while membership of the Ku Klux Klan climbed from a few thousand into the millions.

All the while, the president's personal behaviour was increasingly scandalous and he presided over a profoundly corrupt administration, stacked with old friends and cronies.

Many didn't take him seriously; in fact his presidency came to be regarded as one of the worst in American history.

He died suddenly after just over two years in office, and was replaced by a more conservative vice-president, who continued to pander to bigots.

No, this isn't a dire prediction of the future of America's 45th President, but a brief account of its 29th, Warren G Harding, and his successor Calvin Coolidge.

Read the whole article at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-2...-1920s/8827506

It is well worth reading.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 09:36 AM

Re: Back to the Future with Trump.

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I found this a bit scary:

The president was the unexpected nominee of a deeply divided Republican Party, and managed to tap into something deep and disturbing in the public mood.

America was changing fast, and white men in particular didn't like it. Crime was rampant, women and minorities were increasing their economic and political strength, morals and standards were being challenged, and mass migration was changing the face of the nation.

The president was elected boldly promising to put "America first".

He soon slashed immigration and signed racist laws. Anti-Semitism and anti-black sentiment grew, while membership of the Ku Klux Klan climbed from a few thousand into the millions.

All the while, the president's personal behaviour was increasingly scandalous and he presided over a profoundly corrupt administration, stacked with old friends and cronies.

Many didn't take him seriously; in fact his presidency came to be regarded as one of the worst in American history.

He died suddenly after just over two years in office, and was replaced by a more conservative vice-president, who continued to pander to bigots.

No, this isn't a dire prediction of the future of America's 45th President, but a brief account of its 29th, Warren G Harding, and his successor Calvin Coolidge.

Read the whole article at:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-2...-1920s/8827506

It is well worth reading.

Who are you lining up to assassinate Trump???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 09:48 AM

I'm finding the reality scary enough Bruce without reading fiction. I initially thought Americans too smart to elect him, nope, I thought few would follow him, nope, I thought there would be a backlash against the right, nope.

I've lost all faith it will be ok in the end.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm finding the reality scary enough Bruce without reading fiction. I initially thought Americans too smart to elect him, nope, I thought few would follow him, nope, I thought there would be a backlash against the right, nope.

It is not fiction it is history.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
It is not fiction it is history.
It's fiction if we are trying to apply it to today I thought that was point of the post. But I may be wrong.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->

Eh? What fiction? You'll have to explain that.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 01:37 PM

Sounds very much like the current Momentum Party.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Sounds very much like the current Momentum Party.

Momentum is not a political party.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-08-2017, 02:28 PM

Really? For all intents and purposes it is, they pull Jezza's strings
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

22-08-2017, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Really? For all intents and purposes it is, they pull Jezza's strings
You apparently have an over active imagination. Might I suggest you take a few tamazapam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top