Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 12:08 AM

Boris Johnson to give go-ahead for trials of Covid passports

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ovid-passports

Football cup finals, the World Snooker Championship, a comedy club and a cinema will be used to test vaccine passports over the next few weeks, as the government unveils its route out of lockdown.

The pilot venues will be unveiled on Monday by the prime minister, Boris Johnson, with the NHS drawing up a system that will allow people to use an app or a paper certificate to gain access to major events and reduce social distancing measures.

However, with details of the certificate system still being finalised, Johnson continues to face a mounting political backlash over the use of vaccine passports in the UK. Some MPs are examining whether they could force a vote on the issue. On Monday, Johnson will reassure people that the passports should not be used on public transport or essential shops.

The system being piloted will take account of whether someone has had a vaccination, a recent negative test, or natural immunity after a positive test in the last six months.

Evidence from the trials will be used to inform the wider use of passports. There will also be safeguards to ensure that those who cannot receive the vaccine for health reasons are not discriminated against.
If the pilots work and are implemented succesfully on a national scale then excluded "businesses" may well take advantage of the implementation to set up their own systems .....

However, if the pilots but are disastrous on a national scale (like Test'n'Trace) then the backlash against BJ may well be severe .....

Personally, I'm in favour of a covid vaccination "passport" - the forthcoming proposals and subsequent discussions will, however, no doubt prove to be interesting and, probably, divisive .....
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 08:28 AM

Re: Boris Johnson to give go-ahead for trials of Covid passports

Passports for going abroad, yes...not for anything else - like going to the shops, out for dinner, employment etc.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 11:29 AM

I may be wrong, but a secure mobile Phone App, showing Photo, maybe thumbprint, place, day & date of jab, exemption for those exempted, does not seem all that complex.

Even adding in updated test results should not be too difficult!

That might take a couple of days to get in place and cost very little to create.

If you look at Banking Apps, they are quite secure these days!

OK - Reality - over to our government & the civil service >>

9 months & 50 Billion pounds? - to an overseas company?

Maybe I'm a touch cynical......!

P.S. watch out for who you stand behind, in the queue, they might be using a scammed up version!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Pixie Knuckles ->
Passports for going abroad, yes...not for anything else - like going to the shops, out for dinner, employment etc.
Hi

Why not Pixie?

I want to go out for meals etc.

I do not want Covid again, it was scary.

If a venue insists on Covid Vac Certificates I will be there.

I will not be going to any which do not.

It should be up to each business to decide, it should not be compulsory.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 11:37 AM

If only one trader uses it, then others might feel the need to match up, or risk their customer base!
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I may be wrong, but a secure mobile Phone App, showing Photo, maybe thumbprint, place, day & date of jab, exemption for those exempted, does not seem all that complex.

Even adding in updated test results should not be too difficult!

That might take a couple of days to get in place and cost very little to create.

If you look at Banking Apps, they are quite secure these days!

OK - Reality - over to our government & the civil service >>

9 months & 50 Billion pounds? - to an overseas company?

Maybe I'm a touch cynical......!
Seemingly not :

"But senior government sources warned that the new certification scheme – which will most likely work over a mobile app – would take “months, not weeks” to develop.

Another insider said the app, which could also be used to gain entry to bars and nightclubs, is unlikely to be ready before September. One source said: “I don’t expect it to be until much later in the year.”

The news came as it emerged that grandparents could be asked to scan Covid passport apps before allowing family members into their birthday parties under plans drawn up by a Danish company developing an app for the UK Government."

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/exclusive-...182846851.html
Pixie Knuckles
Chatterbox
Scotland, UK
Pixie Knuckles is female  Pixie Knuckles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Why not Pixie?

I want to go out for meals etc.

I do not want Covid again, it was scary.

If a venue insists on Covid Vac Certificates I will be there.

I will not be going to any which do not.

It should be up to each business to decide, it should not be compulsory.
Its almost like making the vaccine itself compulsory, isn't it? Its like saying you cannot participate in regular normal activities unless you prove you have a certified clean bill of health. The point about eating out is moot for me anyway - I wouldn't even get a takeaway coffee these days. What about the poor folks who (I assume) cannot have the vaccine due to health issues....or those who do not want it, and the boosters...how many times will we be getting them, I wonder.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 04:43 PM

Its almost like making the vaccine itself compulsory, isn't it? Its like saying you cannot participate in regular normal activities unless you prove you have a certified clean bill of health. The point about eating out is moot for me anyway - I wouldn't even get a takeaway coffee these days. What about the poor folks who (I assume) cannot have the vaccine due to health issues....or those who do not want it, and the boosters...how many times will we be getting them, I wonder.
Hi

Simples, I have had Covid, it has damaged me for life.

I do not want it again.

That is my choice and I have the right to refuse to book a meal at anywhere they are not Covid Free.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2021, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
We don't have a mobile phone* capable of downloading any sort of app so, we would be excluded on that basis alone even if we've both had our 2 jabs.

* Our mobile is not a smart phone but a bog standard PAYG one used only for emergencies.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

04-04-2021, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
We don't have a mobile phone* capable of downloading any sort of app so, we would be excluded on that basis alone even if we've both had our 2 jabs.

* Our mobile is not a smart phone but a bog standard PAYG one used only for emergencies.
I'd guess that there would be a secure original document on the NHS website which would be open 24/7 for anyone without a mobile.

Not too difficult to provide a fix via PC link or phone ring in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top