Join for free
Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-01-2019, 10:45 AM

Re: Runner Beans

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Have a look through these Dongles, see if anything grabs at yer.

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vege.../varieties.php
thanks Mups, will have a look at that.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Marge says you should pluck them from the stem sooner rather than later, or they will become stringy and tough.
I was doing that and it worked for a while but in the end they became rock hard and didn't soften when cooked,

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I ordered my runner beans yesterday 'Aintree ' tender beans with lots of flavours . I eat mine small only allowing them to grow to 9in maximum.
Thanks Meg. Yes, I have noted Aintree from your comments last year.

Originally Posted by Barry ->
I have tried all varieties over the years but always go back to "Moonlight", a white flowered variety with a reliable set and good flavour, in fact it is the only variety that I grow now.
Thanks Barry. Will watch out for those too. I have not grown from seed before but will give it a go. I don't have a greenhouse so will have to sow indoors.

Last year I just bought plants but then you can't be so choosy about which ones to grow.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:50 AM

Is it too early to start sowing?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Is it too early to start sowing?
I think so, I'm just being a bit previous.
InOrOut
New Member!
United Kingdom
InOrOut is male 

30-01-2019, 04:56 PM

I've got Aqudulce broad beans in. Sowed in root-trainers last October, planted out in early November. They are 30cm high now and just need a bit of frost protection now and again. I'm hoping for an early crop.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

01-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Have a look through these Dongles, see if anything grabs at yer.

https://www.gardenfocused.co.uk/vege.../varieties.php
Thanks Mups. I have made a note of a few to watch out for along with Aintree and Moonlight.

I wonder how the runners beans we buy are able to get so long without being fibrous?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 05:29 PM

Runner beans are grown on the allotment where I help out. I know nothing about the best way to grow them but I was asked to dig out a quite deep and wide trench in preparation for this year's crop.

The trench was lined with newspaper and over the next few weeks, it was filled with old cabbage cuttings, potato peelings and generally any waste that would decompose. Some compost too I think.

When all this was about a foot or more deep, the earth from the trench was shovelled in over the top. The bean poles will be erected here and this year's beans grown.

I'm told this will make a difference to the quality of the runner beans because the roots grow into the compost. I hope that's right because digging that trench and then shovelling the earth back in was damned hard work.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 07:26 PM

I wonder if slugs and snails would be more interested in newspaper and decomposed peelings than in the plant itself? That would be an interesting experiment.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
Runner beans are grown on the allotment where I help out. I know nothing about the best way to grow them but I was asked to dig out a quite deep and wide trench in preparation for this year's crop.

The trench was lined with newspaper and over the next few weeks, it was filled with old cabbage cuttings, potato peelings and generally any waste that would decompose. Some compost too I think.

When all this was about a foot or more deep, the earth from the trench was shovelled in over the top. The bean poles will be erected here and this year's beans grown.

I'm told this will make a difference to the quality of the runner beans because the roots grow into the compost. I hope that's right because digging that trench and then shovelling the earth back in was damned hard work.
I always dig a trench and have used newspaper,grass cuttings,leaf mold,spent mushroom compost anything in the bottom that will hold moisture. Runner beans are thirsty plants .
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 08:09 PM

It looks like it's the best thing to do then Meg. At least I get a fair share of them when the time comes ..plus courgettes, butternut squash, cabbage and anything else she has grown. I've requested radishes this year,
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-02-2019, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
It looks like it's the best thing to do then Meg. At least I get a fair share of them when the time comes ..plus courgettes, butternut squash, cabbage and anything else she has grown. I've requested radishes this year,
That's good Mart to me home grown vegetables taste so much better than bought ones

Page 13 of 16 « First < 3 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top