Join for free
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 02:13 PM

Unruly kids

Tourist season is well under way here and as always supermarkets, restaurants etc are extra busy. No doubt Iīll get lambasted for this.......but why are British kids more badly behaved than other nationalities, are parents afraid to control them or do they just not care? Kids running wild around the supermarket aisles, running about in restaurants, etc. Like it or like it not 9 times out of 10 they are British.

Yesterday a friend and I were at a local shopping centre, we went into one of the eating places there to get a drink. There was a long queue, people walking about with trays of food and drink and a small British girl running up and down the queue and in and out of tables, her mother made no attempt at all to stop her, an accident waiting to happen, and it did. I got my tray, fortunately it had only two glasses of orange juice on it, the child ran straight into me, the tray flew up in the air, I was soaked in juice, the child slipped and fell on the juice, the people at a nearby table were soaked in juice, broken glass and juice on the floor.
The mother grabbed the child but were there any apologies...NO. I was given paper towels to attempt to mop myself up, as were the couple at the table and I was given fresh juice.

I took the tray outside to one of the outside tables and a few minutes later out came the mother with the child and the child proceeded to run in and out of the tables annoying other customers who were sat eating and drinking. It took all my restraint not to go to the mother and tell her to control her child, we finished our drinks and got up to leave, as we did the child tripped over a chair causing the drinks of people on the table to fall over. What has happened to good old fashioned discipline?
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 02:15 PM

Re: Unruly kids

Im with you on this one, not just discipline but common courtesy has gone out big time.the window. Tunnel vision
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 02:40 PM

If parents are of dubious integrity, what chance have the kids got, you can't teach manners and courtesy, it's followed usually by example. Imo.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 02:45 PM

Good job I was nowhere near Loretta darlin' - that little kid would even now be walking around with a very red and sore ear!!!
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 03:07 PM

I would have said something to the parents of the child.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm inclined to agree with Spitfire here, kids watch everything adults do and good example is essential, I'm not taking a 'Holier than thou' attitude but it has been proven in the case of my own family.
The fact that the Mother made no apologies speaks for itself Loretta.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
If parents are of dubious integrity, what chance have the kids got, you can't teach manners and courtesy, it's followed usually by example. Imo.
Absolutely true ....
Would never have been acceptable when I was a nipper ....
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
What has happened to good old fashioned discipline?
Yes, what happened well I spend a lot of time in Eastern Europe and I can tell you such behaviour would never occur there.

But we do have the stag parties flying over to Prague from the UK and of course it's the resulting offspring from these that are causing the problems, but look at how they behave before they are married, it's no suprpise they can't keep their kids under control after they come along.

And then the schools are forbidden to hand out any form of discipline these days so kids get used to doing what ever they like.

It's a sad situation, I know the answer but their ain't anyone with the guts to implement the necessary changes.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 05:47 PM

In my day if you didn't behave you got a smack. It worked, like it or not.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 05:48 PM

I truly think it is a big problem, the behaviour of some of these kids is appalling. Itīs fairly "child free" where we live but when the relatives come over for visits how things change ! Pretty little gardens for people to sit and relax in get vandalised, post boxes on walls get vandalised, children as young as 6 and 7 are left outside bars to run loose whilst the parents enjoy their "me time" and Iīm sorry to say itīs always the Brits, you very rarely see children of other nationalities left to their own devices or allowed to run around in restaurants. When you hear a Spanish parent telling a naughty child "you are behaving like a Britisher" I think it says it all.

A couple of years ago here a 2 year old toddler was left running around a shopping centre whilst the parents were inside the shop. The child fell over the side of an escalator, fortunately he wasnīt badly hurt, but the parents then tried to sue the management of the shopping centre ! They failed, but you really couldnīt make it up could you?

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top