Join for free
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 11:54 AM

Gerry Conlon

One of the 'Guildford Four' - wrongly arrested, tried and convicted of the Guildford Pub bomb and for 17 years languished in jail for a crime he didn't commit. Finally released and apologised to for the error committed by the criminal justice system he fought long and hard to right wrongs committed by the 'state' systems. May he now Rest in Peace.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 12:47 PM

Re: Gerry Conlon

Clearly a troubled man, so yes, may he RIP.

On a broader theme, though, I have some unease about the release of SOME of those convicted of other crimes. Being released on a technicality does not necessarily equate to innocence.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 12:48 PM

Saw it on the news last night,i believe theres quite a few wrongly convicted,no amount of money will make up for the time spent in prison .
R.I.P Gerry Conlon
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->

On a broader theme, though, I have some unease about the release of SOME of those convicted of other crimes. Being released on a technicality does not necessarily equate to innocence.
Not 'technicality' Ania darlin' but lies and dirstortion of evidence, withholding of evidence, withholding witness statements from the 'defence', not calling witnesses who would have thrown doubt on the prosecution of certain defendants, managing to 'lose' evidence and/or witness statements etc, etc. by the Police to ensure they get a 'conviction' irrespective of whether its the wrong person.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Not 'technicality' Ania darlin' but lies and dirstortion of evidence, withholding of evidence, withholding witness statements from the 'defence', not calling witnesses who would have thrown doubt on the prosecution of certain defendants, managing to 'lose' evidence and/or witness statements etc, etc. by the Police to ensure they get a 'conviction' irrespective of whether its the wrong person.
I accept that, UJ, but I'm just suggesting that there have been others for whom that case is not quite so clear cut...
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by orangutan ->

I agree......I don't believe an IRA sympathiser should be lauded.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

22-06-2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I agree......I don't believe an IRA sympathiser should be lauded.

He had NOTHING to do with the IRA - he was an INNOCENT man!!!
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-06-2014, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
He had NOTHING to do with the IRA - he was an INNOCENT man!!!
His conviction was overturned.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

23-06-2014, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
His conviction was overturned.

PRECISELY!!! He was an INNOCENT man wrongly convicted, which is why ultimately Tony Bliar had to apologise to him.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top