Join for free
Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
Moscow
Scotland
Moscow is male  Moscow has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Re: Pensioner Soldier charged with Murder in Ireland.

Originally Posted by OldFogey ->
That, at least, is true.
My father was a Para.. ( He was in The Glosters Regiment first)

He served in Cyprus.

He had a few stories of patrols firing on each other up in the mountains.

Stories of soldiers patrolling streets and rebels taking ot shots at them down alley ways with hunting rifles.

No training can truly prepare you for that or the much more febrile and vicious campaign in NI.

My father loved the Paras, loved the Army and was proud of his service, but he knew our campaign in NI was flawed, Bloody Sunday was a tragedy and a mistake and he knew the powers that be totally abused the army in NI.
gumbud
Chatterbox
australia
gumbud is male  gumbud has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by summer ->
I can't believe this man is being dragged before the courts...his whole life will have been spent dreading this moment how terrible for him and his family. A ruined life for doing what he was trained to do....it's ok for those who were not their to pass judgements..

Who knows how any of us would react in those situations soldiers should only be dealt with in closed military courts IMO
that would be too biased - come off it!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 03:11 PM

Petition signed.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Sorry Julie darlin' - have to disagree. This man opened fire on innocent civilians and killed two people and injured four more. The Crown Prosecution Service seem to have enough evidence to prosecute him. The other soldiers with him, also opened fire, but apparently there is insufficient evidence to prosecute them.

Then there is the massacre at Ballymurphy - the guilty party there need to be prosecuted too.
Others have done worse UJ and forgiven for the peace process. If he is being held to account so should the others.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by julie1962 ->
others have done worse uj and forgiven for the peace process. If he is being held to account so should the others.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Thank you Rehab many people who comment on 'the troubles' have very little knowledge of what actually happened.
They are unaware that British Army went in originally to prevent civil war and were welcomed by both catholics and protestants. Events escalated and so often happens in these situations terrible and events took place that are best forgotten.

We now have a new generation in Ireland, North and South who were born after 'the troubles' the last thing they need is people stirring them up with tales of years gone by and abandoned causes.
You are so right, it’s time to put ‘the troubles’ to rest. The para-military have been forgiven, their leaders sat in Parliament, Soldier F, should also be treated with compassion, and forgiven.
It’s time to move forward. I am relieved to hear that there is no jury and that his case will be decided by a Judge. Hopefully a man not swayed by the emotions that this case has generated.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You are so right, it’s time to put ‘the troubles’ to rest. The para-military have been forgiven, their leaders sat in Parliament, Soldier F, should also be treated with compassion, and forgiven.
It’s time to move forward. I am relieved to hear that there is no jury and that his case will be decided by a Judge. Hopefully a man not swayed by the emotions that this case has generated.
You have more faith in today's judges than I have, Rehab!
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
You have more faith in today's judges than I have, Rehab!
Hope springs eternal. JB
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Moscow ->
If 13 members of my community were shot dead and many more shot and injured by soldiers policing a civil rights march I would want justice and I would want answers.

The soldiers lost control but I don't blame the young men holding the weapons because they were ordered to be there and were given false imtelligence ; I blame their commanders and it is they who should be on trial.

However, it is massively important that the victims and their families gain the justice that has been too long coming.

I don't believe jailing the soldier , if convicted, will help justice, but a trial and potential ( probable) conviction will.
Pretty much spot on.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-03-2019, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by gumbud ->
that would be too biased - come off it!

Hi

Been under fire and scared gumbud?

Page 7 of 11 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top