Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 06:00 PM

Re: Flour mites

If they are the mites known as Psocids - these live and feed in the glue that holds the bags together. They are actually harmless and you could still use the flour. Best way to be rid of them is to freeze the flour then sift it into a clean container. They are not a sign of poor hygiene.

Weevils are easier to spot because they are bigger and brown in colour. Again they are harmless and you have probably eaten lots of them in your time if you do a lot of baking. They can be killed by heating the flour or freezing it and sifting well before use.

Pantry Moth larvae - which look a bit like weevils - can be dangerous to humans and spread disease. Infested flour should be disposed of by incinerating where possible.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
This was it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour_mite
Ah - those are nasty little beasties!
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-05-2020, 06:16 PM

Oh dear a memory floods back . I used to love baking and made a crumble for pudding for the family . It was enjoyed by all .

The next day I got the bag of flour to find it full of mites . I couldn't tell anyone

Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
oh dear a memory floods back . I used to love baking and made a crumble for pudding for the family . It was enjoyed by all .

The next day i got the bag of flour to find it full of mites . I couldn't tell anyone

JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 09:21 PM

I remember a film about 18th century Royal Naval battles.
At a quiet time, the captain and his officers were looking for something to do to pass the time and someone came up with the idea of racing weevils and betting on the outcome.
Someone asked the captain which he should back, at which he chose the smaller of the two.
The inevitable questions were asked, to which he replied: "It is always good practice when faced with such a choice to go for the lesser of two weevils!"
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2020, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
I remember a film about 18th century Royal Naval battles.
At a quiet time, the captain and his officers were looking for something to do to pass the time and someone came up with the idea of racing weevils and betting on the outcome.
Someone asked the captain which he should back, at which he chose the smaller of the two.
The inevitable questions were asked, to which he replied: "It is always good practice when faced with such a choice to go for the lesser of two weevils!
Doh!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 08:32 PM

Cinderella, You know when you read something and wish you hadn’t?
I felt unwell after reading this the other day!
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-05-2020, 08:56 PM

oh heck I'm itching all over now YUK. I once found some of the horrible things in some flour. Urgh,
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
Guess they would add crunch to food.
It tends to be something that needs to be got used to if living in an older home from around the late Tudor period. Livestock is a hazard and can be a tad alarming until it is realised all these days are harmless to our existence
A historian friend told me that was not the case way back, but these days all the bad bugs have been eliminated
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:40 AM

I think they should charge more for flour containing the new wonder ingredient, flour mites. An excellent source of protein, and I'm willing to bet that you wouldn't even taste them.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top