Join for free
Page 11 of 18 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:06 AM

Re: I Think I’ve Made A Huge Mistake, Getting Sky Q.

I agree with Realist.

As I understand it, your SkyQ signal is fine for the one telly, but you are lacking a good signal from all your many other tellies.

If you are happy with SkyQ, and only want a Freeview signal to be available on your other tellies, I shouldn't bother with Freesat.

Would a hybrid LMB box attached to your SkyQ dish provide a signal to your other tellies? I doubt it.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Foxy, Do you mean an ordinary Digital/Freeview aerial? The one on the chimney now, is only 14 years old. I don’t think that is ‘old’ as far as aerials go?
I wonder even, if this is the mystery severed cable that is coming from my loft space through the outside wall? It may have been attached to the splitter/amplifier?

I think, what l really need is a hybrid LNB attached to the new SkyQ box.
Sorry Arty, I don't know anything about satellite dishes never having had one.. But I do know about 'Aerials' (except how to spell it obviously..)
Fourteen years is getting on a bit for a telly aeriel Arty, sitting up on the chimney in all weathers, but I think if the cable to the aeriel had been severed completely you wouldn't get a picture at all.....
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 04:04 PM

The interesting thing here is the mix of FreeView and FreeSat TVs.

It's somewhat unusual for people to have both TBH.

Those people who live in a dodgy area with little to no decent reception from a FreeView transmitter, tend to opt for FreeSat and so get a satellite dish installed.

I have FreeView so I have a conventional aerial on the roof. I would not dream of also getting a satellite dish for FreeSat. What would be the point?

So thinking this through I am suspecting that Art actually had mostly FreeSat going through her house, rather than FreeView. The FreeSat cable would have been attached to the old satellite dish. When the Sky engineer came and installed a new dish for SkyQ he would naturally have disconnected that cable as FreeSat is not supported with standard SkyQ.

It's at that point that al the TVs in the house would have lost their signal.

That can only be rectified by having a Hybrid LMB installed on your new dish.

I suspect that all the messing about with other aerials to try and get a FreeView signal are just a red herring here. I'm willing to bet that the FreeView transmission signal in your area is already crappy no matter what you do and THAT is probably why you were using FreeSat.

So, the best way forward here is to get a Hybrid LMB installed and restore FreeSat. I bet when you do that all the other TV's will work just fine.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 04:11 PM

There's a Hybrid LMB for sale here on Amazon

Sky 6 Way Hybrid LNB for Q/HD

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Way-Hyb.../dp/7555564149

Customer Review Comment:

"Perfect replacement for a multi-output universal LNB if you're moving to Sky Q "

"Sky Q requires a wideband LNB which is a custom Sky part. The company offers only two LNBs: the standard 2 output LNB that Sky engineers produce when they arrive to install Sky Q and this 6-output hybrid LNB.

**Does the hybrid LNB work with Sky Q and Freesat simultaneously?**
Having read in some places about needing to use two specific outputs for Sky Q I was concerned that the LNB had no markings on its outputs to indicate which should be used for Sky Q. In fact it doesn't matter. This LNB will support Sky Q on any of its outputs: the Sky Q box sends a signal to the LNB on the outputs to which it is connected, switching those outputs to wideband mode. So the LNB works universally on any of the outputs with Freesat receivers, Sky+ HD boxes and Sky Q."
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 05:13 PM

Talking of Freesat reception and appropriate LNBs, I'm afraid has lost me.
I know nothing of satellite reception.
However, as for the terrestrial aerial, I have to say that ours (there are two for some reason, each attached to a separate TV) are at least 14 years old and both are working perfectly. If you have a booster, and if the aerial is in good condition regardless of its age, it is perfectly possible to use them for your 'ordinary' televisions.
In any event, I think you're going to need to ensure you have working cable connections to the aerial/booster/LMB as the case may be, and from what you say your cables have been cut.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

07-05-2019, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Talking of Freesat reception and appropriate LNBs, I'm afraid has lost me.
It sounds more complex than it is. FreeSat is simply a TV service broadcast from a satellite just like Sky. So you need a dish to receive it and the thing at the end of the prong sticking out of the dish, is called the LMB.

Sky Q's LMB doesn't work with FreeSat. It can't receive the FreeSat signal/frequency at the dish.

So you have to replace it with a Hybrid LMB that can receive both Sky and FreeSat.

Originally Posted by JBR ->
If you have a booster, and if the aerial is in good condition regardless of its age, it is perfectly possible to use them for your 'ordinary' televisions.
That's not necessarily true. It all depends, as I said in my last post, whether there is any decent FreeView signal transmission in Art's postcode area. Many areas of Britain have really bad FreeView signal reception and some don't have any at all. people living in those areas can't get FreeView no matter what aerial they have. So instead they install a satellite dish and get FreeSat instead. No Sky TV involved at all, just a dish to receive FreeSat.

I'm guessing (still) that Art is in a bad FreeView area which is why she has FreeSat already set up.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

07-05-2019, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
It sounds more complex than it is. FreeSat is simply a TV service broadcast from a satellite just like Sky. So you need a dish to receive it and the thing at the end of the prong sticking out of the dish, is called the LMB.

Sky Q's LMB doesn't work with FreeSat. It can't receive the FreeSat signal/frequency at the dish.

So you have to replace it with a Hybrid LMB that can receive both Sky and FreeSat.
Thanks. That sounds quite straightforward.

Does that mean that both Sky and Freesat transmit from the same satellite, which I assume must be geostationary?

Originally Posted by Realist ->
That's not necessarily true. It all depends, as I said in my last post, whether there is any decent FreeView signal transmission in Art's postcode area. Many areas of Britain have really bad FreeView signal reception and some don't have any at all. people living in those areas can't get FreeView no matter what aerial they have. So instead they install a satellite dish and get FreeSat instead. No Sky TV involved at all, just a dish to receive FreeSat.

I'm guessing (still) that Art is in a bad FreeView area which is why she has FreeSat already set up.
Yes, of course. I was assuming that Angel had been receiving Freeview signals from her terrestrial aerial but, of course, she may (as you suggested) have been receiving Freesat signals. Wouldn't she, then, have a Freesat box somewhere or even a Freesat box for each TV?

As I mentioned before, I don't claim to be an expert in these matters.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:04 PM

I will list each television and what they are connected to..

1. Main Plasma, digital television is now connected to a new SkyQ box which is connected to the new SkyQ dish. Ordinary Freeview aerial is connected too, from aerial socket on the wall.
The Sky Plus box this tv was previously connected to is in a box now. The Sky Plus dish it was connected to, has gone and the new SkyQ dish has replaced it.

2. This Plasma television was previously connected to an old Sky box and then connected to the, Sky Plus dish. This Sky box that l received Freesat on, no longer works as it won’t work off the new SkyQ dish.
The tv now works off the digital aerial and l receive Freeview.

3. This LCD, tv is in a bedroom and is connected to the Freeview aerial from the wall socket.

4. This LCD, tv works from the Freeview aerial socket in the wall.

5. This LCD, tv works from the Freeview aerial socket in the wall.

6. This LCD, tv used to work from tv 5, via an aerial adapter thing. It now no longer receives a signal.

7. This is a small screen analogue monitor/television, wall mounted in the kitchen. l used to be able to watch channels before digital tv came in via the wall aerial socket.
I then used a Freeview box connected to it, until the builders did something that l was able to watch whatever was playing on Sky on tv 1, on this tv.
Since the old Sky dish has gone. I can’t receive anything on this tv because it is analogue.
Instead, l have connected the old Freeview box to it and it works ok.

All the televisions except No 1, now suffer with intermittent pixelation. I am not sure if they are still working off the amplifier in the loft?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
I will list each television and what they are connected to..

1. Main Plasma, digital television is now connected to a new SkyQ box which is connected to the new SkyQ dish. Ordinary Freeview aerial is connected too, from aerial socket on the wall.
The Sky Plus box this tv was previously connected to is in a box now. The Sky Plus dish it was connected to, has gone and the new SkyQ dish has replaced it.

2. This Plasma television was previously connected to an old Sky box and then connected to the, Sky Plus dish. This Sky box that l received Freesat on, no longer works as it won’t work off the new SkyQ dish.
The tv now works off the digital aerial and l receive Freeview.

3. This LCD, tv is in a bedroom and is connected to the Freeview aerial from the wall socket.

4. This LCD, tv works from the Freeview aerial socket in the wall.

5. This LCD, tv works from the Freeview aerial socket in the wall.

6. This LCD, tv used to work from tv 5, via an aerial adapter thing. It now no longer receives a signal.

7. This is a small screen analogue monitor/television, wall mounted in the kitchen. l used to be able to watch channels before digital tv came in via the wall aerial socket.
I then used a Freeview box connected to it, until the builders did something that l was able to watch whatever was playing on Sky on tv 1, on this tv.
Since the old Sky dish has gone. I can’t receive anything on this tv because it is analogue.
Instead, l have connected the old Freeview box to it and it works ok.

All the televisions except No 1, now suffer with intermittent pixelation. I am not sure if they are still working off the amplifier in the loft?
Too weaker signal trying to supply too many telly's Arty......
Either bad connection from aerial on chimney, or something wrong with aerial amplifier....
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2019, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Too weaker signal trying to supply too many telly's Arty......
Either bad connection from aerial on chimney, or something wrong with aerial amplifier....
Foxy, They ‘tidied’ up the cables outside and left two severed cables in the outside wall (see pics shown earlier in this thread).
I later, found lots of cables in my dustbin!

Page 11 of 18 « First < 9 10 11 12 13 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top